Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

Ashford University Reviews

Updated June 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people within the organization (in 49 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, solid training program (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a high pressure work environment with little job security (in 27 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

"Dying Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over 5 years at this company and I can't think of any pros, when I started in 2011, things were very different, there were pros then.

Cons

Horrible working environment. Higher ups do not bother to understand how their departments work, yet make drastic changes resulting in poor service to students and staff that hate their jobs. (Many people in my dept that had been there for years all have left in the last 2 years- management doesn't care, they replace them with people that can't do that job and end up being fired, this happened w 3 new hires in my department within a year).

Horrible benefits that get worse and more expensive every year.

NO incentives to stay. They took away tenure increases, and merit increases last year and late in the year was able to give a small increase, but this barely covered the cost of the increase in health care.

Constantly being lied to by directors and above. I've never worked for a company that had so much blatant lying.

Honestly, this for profit school is dying, there are always lay offs, enrollment will not pick up because established universities now offer online programs that cost about the same as AU, except when they graduate their degree will help them succeed. (Google all the lawsuits against AU.) All these things will add to eventually becoming bankrupt and shutting its doors, just like Corinthians. AU already closed their Iowa campus, their business offices in San Diego have been closing as well. I bet it will be closed within 3 years, if that.

DO NOT work here, unless this is the only job option you have. But In-N-Out will pay pretty close to the starting salary at AU and you won't have to worry about it closing.

"Enrollment Services Advisor"

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, solid training program. There were three weeks of intensive training that really equip you to do well before you even get to your desk and on the phones.

Cons

Very sales-oriented, which was not the job I thought I signed up for. They claim to not cold call people, but ultimately that's what's going on. They tend to use fear and competition as a motivator, like if you don't enroll enough students you have to fear for your job. Definitely did not like that kind of high-pressure atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Chill out - I completely understand it's there job to make sure the ESAs are actively enrolling students, but they need to back off a bit and try to figure out what they're actually doing first. I'd highly recommend more phone-shadowing be incorporated into the training program.

3. "Admissions Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team support and some managers are great leaders/coaches.

Cons

Very stressful and deadline oriented. The pressure affected many employees.

"Unless you are deserate or are just looking for exerience, I would move along."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Decent pay, Good place to get sales experience for your NEXT JOB

Cons

They focus on how many students you have enrolled and do not care whether the student is a good fit or not. Your monthly quota is determined based on how many of your students actually stay in school. You could literally get written up for not meeting your quota if a student drops out and brings your "numbers down". Perhaps if they focused on getting QUALITY students who will actually stay in school and not on QUANTITY. I actually had serious concerns about a student who could not get through the application without assistance. I told me manager that I did not think that she would be a good fit and that she should probably start at a junior college first. He said, "Who cares! As long as she passes her first class you get credit for her, if she fails the rest or drops out, that not your problem." The school literally does not care about your ability to succeed. They just want your money.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Every six months they do layoffs and you can cut the tension with a knife in the entire building. Stop promoting people to manager just because they are good sales people. JUST BECAUSE THEY ENROLL A LOT OF STUDENTS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE CAABLE OF TEACHING IT AND IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY WOULD BE A GOOD MANAGER. In my first year at Ashford, I had three managers and went three months with NO manager at all. That's a great way to give a new employee a good solid foundation to grow from! NOT. Three weeks on the job and my mgr got pulled away from her desk and was not seen again and I had no manager for three months. I was taught by my coworkers, all who had some REALLY shady ways to get students. When I finally got a manger, he stayed for two months and then I went another two months with no manager. My third manager was new (he had never been a manager before) and I had to teach him! Stop focusing on QUANTITY OVER QUALITY. The pay may be decent but it isn't worth the stress. I eventually quit because I was tired of the constant revolving door. Fire 200 people, hire 200...fire 200, hire 200 every six months

5. "Mentor"

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Oxford, NC
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Oxford, NC

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Ashford University provided a great learning experience of the in's and out's of the business world, and how business is conducted in a university setting.

Cons

One con of working as a mentor at Ashford University was that one could easily become overwhelm with a high workload.

Advice to Management

Management at Ashford University could offer the position of student mentor to more students to reduce the high workload of a selected number of students who work the program for the university.

6. "horirable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

flex hours are a nice to have

Cons

everything else. They create the illusion of an employee focused organization, however, the are only driven on profits. They suck employees dry until they have nothing left, and become so burnt out that they end up leaving the organization.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and make change

7. "Student Advisor"

Former Employee - Student Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University (More than 3 years)

Pros

On a local level, culture is fantastic. Everyone from local directors, managers, and Advisors seem genuinely concerned about one another's well being and success. This is why I gave Ashford 2 stars.

Cons

Ashford's upper echelons only seem concerned about the bottom line: money. This affects virtually every component of the company. Transparency from the top down is non existent. One blunder after another means daily responsibilities are constantly changing to adapt. Instead of taking a preventative approach regarding enrollment and retention, the majority of efforts are spent reacting to catastrophes, big and small. This reactivity enables many students (not all) to be needy and dependent. There is little to no opportunity for growth. Consistently going above and beyond is barely rewarded or even recognized. And unfortunately, initiatives to improve/increase opportunities are often forgotten a few months after they are introduced. Ashford's technology is so dated, specifically the student classroom. Students cannot interact with other students or their instructors on a video chat platform. Often times communication between a student and instructor breaks down because of this.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency. Employees want to know what is happening and why. Why so many changes? Don't promise things, such as growth opportunities, only to scrap them months later. Follow the trends of other online schools. Implement video chat in the classroom so students can speak with their instructors directly instead of emailing and waiting sometimes up to 72 hours for a response.

8. "Horrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and Lunch, Very flexible about off time as long as you have Vacation or sick time.

Cons

Management is horrible! They want you to lie to students to get them in! Enrollment process is backwards, and it a for profit school so all they care about is money! No job security, turn over rate is horrible! Very stressful environment!

9. "Enrollment"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Wonerfull coworkers will be life long friends

Cons

Horrible support horrible supervisors no work life balance

Advice to Management

More communication

10. "Admissions Counselor"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Higher pay than most state schools

Cons

For Profit Institution with poor management training and insufficient investment in employee satisfaction. You will feel like a number rather then a person for the majority of your time.

Advice to Management

R-organize your structure, encourage actual training instead of purely numbers, and actually look at more then enrollments per week.