Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Zero job security, expect layoffs twice a year (in 28 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

"Enrollment Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some awesome people. Co-workers make the day to day work almost enjoyable. Health plans were pretty decent. Free gym.

Cons

Yikes, where do I start? It's all about starts, starts, starts. Student that complete their first course. The company honestly does not care about the students. All they care about is making money, I mean, it's a for-profit school, but enrolling students that are nowhere near ready for school and strong arming them through their first class is borderline unethical.

Leads are absolutely horrible. Most of the people we get on the phone are looking for certificate programs, jobs or have no idea why we are even talking.

At the end of the day, it's sales. Don't say "it's all about servicing our students" when that is a blatant lie.

Advice to Management

A lot of untapped talent and great people have left the company. Actually invest in your people.

2. "Enrollment Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ashford University has great leadership and an extremely through training program. There's a high calibre of people that work there, which helps to foster the culture and fun environment. As a plus, the education benefit allows you to obtain a degree virtually free.

Cons

There's not enough higher level positions available for the large population of advisors to work towards. The University did away with annual raises, but not annual performance evaluations. Without additional incentives, it's hard to push toward high goals month by month.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to develop more intermediary positions, and design some sort of career track for your hard working employees.

3. "Stressful at times but I liked it"

Former Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, always willing to help each other out, made lasting friends, great pay but was not equal across the board as I was grandfathered in at a higher salary. Good benefits and experience which helped me land a promotion at another school. Despite hurdles, they are at least trying to move in the right direction especially for online education.

Cons

Hard push for numbers which sometimes are not within your control. If you can survive admissions then you can survive pretty much any working environment. Upper management is quick to implement large scale changes without fully vetting them which can lead to lower level employees scrambling to clean up the mess.

Advice to Management

Same as any other large organization, listen to those who deal with the day to day of the job and value their opinions. Not sure if they still do mass layoffs but if so then they need to lay off of it.

4. "Love the People and the Students"

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

I was in an Administrative Role and loved my job. The people I met and worked with I am still friends with today. The benefits were great and events were top notch.

Cons

Low pay and did not appreciate their employees

5. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience helping others achieve their lifelong goal of completing their college education! Excellent opportunities for upward mobility, significantly improve one's sales skills, develop greater relationship building skills with students, and my education was paid for.

Cons

From my perspective, there was not a consistency with the management team. In other words I worked for many different managers during my career there. Also, toward the end of my career I did not feel stable in my position due to the financial stability of the company.

Advice to Management

Use positive reinforcement when speaking with employees, and greater income potential for employees that started with the company post 2012.

"Adjunct Associate Faculty"

Current Employee - Online Faculty in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Online Faculty in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Ashford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the university is for-profit, it seems committed to good education and a good atmosphere. Online adjunct faculty receive good support and attention. You are not left to fend for yourself. the company has a good, serious culture and atmosphere.
    the work is steady. There is no suspense because you now you will always teach the next class and the next, year-round, if you do a competent job.

Cons

The course material is so basic, it is borderline dumb. And it is STILL a challenge for students. If you get real strict with grading, the students have emotional breakdowns.

Also, the amount of work is not commensurate with the pay. You are required to give detailed feedback for each discussion post every week. And thew grading. The pay is peanuts in comparison.

Advice to Management

Please pay us more. We have terminal degrees. We need to be paid more than burger flippers.

"Run and Run Fast!!"

I have been working at Ashford University (More than 5 years)

Pros

They attempt to provide a quality education and do give consistent pay raises.

Cons

Management is either hands off or micromanagement, plus they have clicks and if you are not in a click then you are horrible person. Students are treated like Gods and professors are treated poorly. Professors have advanced degrees and been working professionals, but are treated like uneducated entry level workers. Pay is low for the demand of work they require. Students are allowed to bully professors, so there is no support for faculty. If you make a miss step, be prepared to get into trouble. Students are allowed excuses, but don't have a life as an employee. You will make less than minimum wage as a professional for the demand of the amount of work. Their tools are cumbersome and seriously not needed. Turnitin takes almost 10 minutes to load and grading rubrics are inflated to give students better grades than earned. Too many people in the classroom, which at most colleges is the professors, but at Ashford it is everyone elses and no one considers FERPA violations by everyone being in the classroom. The standards for what happens in the classroom changes and no one communicates the information.

Advice to Management

Take the education you provide students and live it! Set an example and quit micromanaging. They teach marketing, but do not understand how to use social media. They teach leadership, but focus on transactional and dictatorship.

"pay too low, no job security"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time

Pros

kind employees there, great course shells

Cons

no HR, no job security, $16/hr for teaching a class, don't need to know anything since the curriculum and course shell are complete and you cannot change them. Also, your posts on all discussions are 'Instructor' + your last name. You are not a professor even.

Advice to Management

hire college students as instructors.

"Soul sucking"

Pros

Training and pay were above average considering that they don't require higher education.

Cons

The company is sketchy, a friend of mine was fired while on maternity leave and the company got away with it on a technicality. The sales teams also encourage staff to enroll students under false pretenses. In addition I was denied any time off for my wedding because it was in August and they said the time was too difficult.

Advice to Management

Go through compliance training again, there is an obvious disconnect between what is said in sales training and what sales managers are telling their new sales staff.

10. "You get out what you put in!"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady Salary, great people, and an environment where you can really learn to work as a self sufficient administrator in higher education.

Cons

You wouldn't believe how many students are applying to attend an online college that can't figure out how to use a computer.

If you have the patience this job can be very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Have CHAMP roam the halls more. It's always great to see the mascot!