Ashley Furniture Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 29, 2020

3.3
Ashley Furniture President and CEO Todd Wanek
Todd Wanek
Pros
  • "Good pay nice employees fast pace work(in 44 reviews)

• "Good benefits,great pay,very involved with the community, family fun day Christmas bonus(in 28 reviews)

• Cons
  • "2nd shift was horrible no work life balance(in 43 reviews)

• "long hours, poor communication depending on location(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ashley Furniture and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Ashley Leadership Institute

Nov 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is ample opportunity for a driven individual with a good attitude to advance within the company. Ample learning opportunity daily with excellent challenges for someone looking to increase their problem solving skills. And excellent opportunity to collaborate and learn from some of the most intelligent individuals in the industries of manufacturing, distribution, warehousing, and finance.

Cons

Very busy environment and lean operations. There are many meetings, that do not allow for much time for execution. Difficult to maintain a work life balance. In the past, there has not been a concentration on succession planning, but efforts to concentrate more on this now.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

Furniture tech

Oct 29, 2020 - Repair Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

I received good repair training.

Cons

2nd shift was horrible no work life balance.

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for providing us with actionable feedback. We are glad to hear your received the training you needed to perform your job. We will take your advise and share with our management as an area of opportunity. If you have additional feedback you can contact us as opinion@ashleyfurniture.com

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Avoid at all costs

Sep 28, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay used to be the draw but after a second round of commission cuts in one year there is nothing left to be considered good

Cons

Work/life balance, Pay, Management , Owners, Everything. Company takes everything and gives nothing

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for your feedback. This Ashley HomeStore is independently owned and operated. We will pass along your comments to the appropriate resources.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor work/life balance

Sep 15, 2020 - Senior Distribution Center Manager in Tacoma, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity but not serious about change.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance. Never time for your family

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We would encourage you to reach out to us at opinion@ashleyfurniture.com to provide additional information regarding areas where you see we can improve at our Tacoma facility. Thank you again.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee

California DC- Unethical, worst company to work for

Apr 8, 2020 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can honestly say there were no perks to working for Ashley

Cons

Perspective is not valued here and this company is very unethical. Employees are expected to lift items between 80-300 pounds on their own. Ashley states they encourage team lift during their orientation but that is false. Once you’re out on the floor, don’t expect to receive much help if at all. You will be trained for 1 day and be expected to hit the ground running. This creates a very unsafe an unproductive work environment. Employees are encouraged by safety and Sr leadership not to go to the clinic in attempts to reduce recordable claims. Should you file a claim as an employee, Sr leadership will look for any reason to terminate the employee. Unfortunately most leaders promoted internally lack the knowledge base and competency to be an effective leader. People are promoted into positions internally as Ashley has a very difficult time retaining talent. Most (not all) leaders here lack the ability to be able to communicate intelligently via email or in person. Decisions here are made off of emotion rather than data. Every time something goes wrong in the operation, employees are blamed. Sr. Leadership is extremely out of touch with their own operation. Sr. Directors will shoot down all of your ideas as a leader to improve the operation then later pitch your idea as their own after processes continue to fail. Once your original idea is implemented and processes improve, they will take all the credit and give you none. The leadership team is worked 6 days a week for a minimum of 10 hours per day. There is no work life balance here. As a leader, you will spend most of your day in meetings and have minimal face time with your employees. If you are a good leader with a proven track record, do not waste your talent or time working for Ashley. You will find out within 3 months that you made a huge mistake and immediately start looking for an exit strategy the same way many external leaders have done before you.

1 person found this review helpful

Ashley Furniture Response

We appreciate you providing your feedback about your experience working in the distribution center. We are sorry that it was not a positive experience for you. If you have additional ideas on where you see improvement or details on the areas of concern you have posted we would invite you to share those with us at opinion@ashleyfuriture.com.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible company, bad reputation, outdated, and runs on fear based leadership

Mar 24, 2020 - Distribution Manager in Arcadia, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Outdated company that operates its company from outdated technology with zero professional learning and some of the highest turnover in any company.

Cons

Work/Life Balance Outdated technology Fear based leadership High turnover for reason

2 people found this review helpful

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for the feedback about your experience working int he distribution center. Ashley takes all feedback, positive and negative, seriously and we look to build on the positive and improve on the negative. If you'd like to share additional details on your areas of concern we'd invite you to reach out to us at opinion@ashleyfurniture.com.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Mean spirited culture

Mar 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office, fair pay and benefits

Cons

Cut throat culture with no work-life balance. People feel guilty for leaving at 5. Highly volatile, with priorities and projects changing all the time. Management has no empathy for employees. Most employees have no authority or autonomy. Fair pay and benefits, but you wonder if it's worth it.

6 people found this review helpful

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience in the office, if you'd like to reach out to opinion@ashleyfurniture.com to be more specific we would appreciate it.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good pay/Horrible work-life balance/Have to be a politician

Jan 15, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good compensation/benefits - There are some good people, you just have to learn who they are before you let your guard down. - Good snacks in the office. However, if you are a warehouse associate, you’re lucky to have plastic cutlery stocked, much less good vending options. - Great resume booster - If you stay long enough, you will learn a lot

Cons

- Human Resources - Upper management - Processes change daily - Bad communication (getting 600 emails a day isn’t efficient) - High turnover - Work-Life balance is a total and complete joke. Much like a Santa Claus, it’s a ficticiois concept that many would like to believe is real, but simply isn’t. - The culture in the Brandon DC is the worst I ever hope to work in. It is poisonous. If you want to enjoy coming to work every day, not feel like you are in a political war zone, maybe have a little work-life balance, and are compassionate for human beings, do not work in the Brandon location.

4 people found this review helpful

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Ashley Furniture. We take feedback seriously as it is one of the ways we are able to improve as an organization and create a better environment for our employees. We are a company committed to continuous improvement while sticking to our Core and Growth Values. For these reasons, we strive to provide the best support possible to our employees, especially when it involves a change in a process or management, and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. If you’d like to discuss these issues in more detail, please feel free to reach us at opinion@ashleyfurniture.com so that we can best address your concerns.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Untruths Recruiting statements

Oct 23, 2019 - Online Customer Service Representative in Arcadia, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Supervisor and upper management would rather have a negative post on glassdoor then to sit a resolve negative issues. In fact, they told me to go ahead and post on glassdoor. When recruited 2 years ago, was offer eligible to work from home after one year. Also was offered in interview and 6 months after employment. Now that it is after my one year, not eligible for work at home. Company policy changed but they have employees working from home. Feel like I was lied to again. We are to have weekly meetings which are canceled most of the time. If they have one, it is scheduled on my day off. Not properly trained on new processes that are implemented. Even the supervisor are not 100% sure on how things work. They will tell you that you can volunteer for overtime. But because no one wants to work, they make it mandatory which I understand. When you work their 5 hours mandatory overtime, then they tack on 9 hours more. When they are questioned that I have already did 5 so is that included in the 9, they say no. It has to be beween Thursday and Sunday. This is the second time I have worked at Ashley. There is no work, life balance. They will allow other employees "privileges" but when one brings this up, policies change. Other employees that took FMLA was.abke.to take this and work from home. But now that I am on FMLA to take care of my husband, who is to be having surgery. I cannot but 3 other employees before in in the last year could. If there is weather that we are not able to make it into work, Ashley allows to work from home. Customers are rude. Only place I know that can argue with customers then swear on the site. When they ask for a supervisor, certain supervisors will refuse to speak to them. During training, they tell you, you are the new eyes to Ashkey and ask why. Supervision tells you that you no longer work at your last job. I worked online customer service for 7.5 years before applying to Ashley. They actually trained you to be a customer service representatives. Now regretting. Ashley let me go in 2/2009, due to the poor economy, but was hiring in 5/2009. I moved on. Waiting for the day that Ashley does it again. Again looking for a different job. Really too many thing to list. I used to be opened minded. Keeping my suggestions to myself. Let them figure it out.

1 person found this review helpful

Ashley Furniture Response

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all feedback as it is what allows us to look into and take action on where we can improve. If you have more specific details on your areas of concern please reach out to us directly at opinions@ashleyfurniture.com. Thank you!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Regional Transportation Manager

Nov 6, 2018 - Regional Transportation Manager in Arcadia, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Down to earth owners Job Security Excellent Pay Top of the line benefits Great work environment Excellent Work Equipment Nationwide Community Support

Cons

Work- Life balance: We have a relentless approach when it comes to work ethic and GSD. I understand this is what it takes to remain competitive and continue to make our brand stronger, I am fully onboard with this strategic approach. I think we need to find a way to attack our problem with home time. On average I work between 60-68 Hrs. per week, it would be an improvement to see this reduced to 50-55 Hrs. per week.

Communications

Thank you for providing positive feedback about your experience at Ashley Furniture. Our company is defined by employees like you, and we’re happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience with us. We appreciate all that you do!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews