Ashley Furniture "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Wanek

"Regional Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ashley Furniture full-time

Pros

If you are part of the "good ole boys club" (which I actually was) it is actually a decent place to work mainly because Ashley is constantly moving.

Cons

By far Todd Wanek is the most narrow minded executive I've ever worked for. Todd sees things only through a multi-millionaire's perspective. He see no reason to have his management teams work 70 hours a week and be available to take calls all hours of the day and night. I suppose if everyone was reaping the direct benefits of those hours (millions of dollars) that would be ok. But Todd just believes everyone should put in the same hours as he does. Don't get me wrong Todd is a smart man but as a leader he lacks all the necessary soft skills that would make his teams better. His teams fear him vs really want to do well for the team. Work/life balance is the worst part of working for Ashley corporate. Don't read all these comments and assume that is the way across the country since roughly 90% of the stores are independently owned and operated and their are some fantastic Licensees.

Advice to Management

Understand that not everyone needs to work 70 hrs a week to be productive. Hire qualified people and let them do their jobs without micromanaging on a daily basis. You are guiding a big ship and big ships don't turn on a dime and certainly don't change on a daily basis. Understand that people that you have hired or promoted "just because" aren't always the best fit.

Ashley Furniture2015-08-07

"Crooked and Shady Company"

Human Resources in Arcadia, WI

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

Not really any that I can think of.

Cons

Salaried employees are expected to work 60-70 hours for very little pay. I worked at corporate and in other locations. It's a boys club operating like it is 1980. Most directors and senior management have little to no education and have no idea how to run a business. Employees on the floor are treated like animals and are considered expendable. Management is constantly yelling and swearing at it's employees. You are asked to do the job of 3 people and then are yelled at when it isn't done. There is no work life balance. The things I was asked to do in HR were so illegal yet it came down from the CEO so my boss told me I had to do it. When I didn't, I was yelled at. This place is so shady and crooked it is sad. Do not work here! No wonder they can't find anyone to work for them.

Advice to Management

You may have mastered how to manufacture furniture but that won't help you if no one wants to work there. Get rid of all your upper level management. Learn how to have legal hiring practices and an HR dept. that actually cares about employees.

Ashley Furniture2015-06-18
  3. "Ok Company"

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

decent commission structure, fun and energetic work environment

Cons

long hours, poor management, work life balance is non existent

Ashley Furniture2015-02-10

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Arcadia, WI

I have been working at Ashley Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many opportunities to gain experience in various departments and business units, including international opportunities. Fast-paced, goal-oriented environment.

Cons

Zero work life balance. The owners expect overtime every week for anyone who is on salary, including nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Out of touch with current trends with human resource best practices on employee engagement. Need to provide better compensation considering the expected long hours. Need to provide a flexible work schedule and work from home options.

Ashley Furniture2014-06-22

"Culture and values are non existent. Very bad environment to work in."

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

Pay and benefits were OK.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Employee retention is very low. It is a revolving door from the upper management to the housekeeping job. Very few employees stay at the organization.

Ashley Furniture2014-03-03
  6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Ashley Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay Great owners, and employees, and co-workers

Cons

Work Life Balance...such is retail.

Advice to Management

All of the stores are locally owned, and operated. I cannot speak for all stores, but the 4 owned by the family I work for are great. The owners truly care about the employees. The pay even for a store manager is 100 pay for performance, but it works better. being a performer I made more than any salaried manager I have ever heard of. Only down fall is work life balance. there are only two managers at each location meaning a lot of of time away form home, and family to make sure the store always has a manager on duty.

Ashley Furniture2013-09-27
  7. "We're the best mentality!!! RAH RAH RAH... Blah"

Territory Representative

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

You get paid well. Work hard it pays off.

Cons

No work life balance, work hard, travel lots, long hours, lots of pressure

Advice to Management

Sleep more. They put in ridiculous hours especially at trade shows.

Ashley Furniture2015-01-30