Ask.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Adam Roston

Pros
  • Unlimited PTO and great work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The office environment looks good and very close to BART (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They been offering Cognizant resources as full time employees, they are the main reason for (in 5 reviews)

• Revolving door of upper management and anyone who has anything to say gets laid off or fired within a year (in 5 reviews)

1. "Miss the people and energy that made up Ask.com"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Occasional free food and pastries. Flexible work schedule. Unlimited PTO. Frozen yogurt machine and kitchen fully stocked with drinks and snacks.

Cons

Company mission was not always clear. Several waves of layoffs. Departure of CEO and people in upper management. Uncertainty of the new direction of the company after several changes throughout the organization.

2. "Run don't walk...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, good salary and benefits., ok work-life balance (if you wish to be bored to death as consequence)...

Cons

Where to even start. This company is dead in the water and everyone knows it. they continue to rearrange deck chairs on sinking ship. No vision, no innovation, no purpose and run by folks who are there for the paycheck and little else. Revolving door of upper management and anyone who has anything to say gets laid off or fired within a year.

Advice to Management

Close it down. The IAC hacks in NYC are not up to the task of reinvention so call it and shut it down...

3. "Work Environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Attractive office space, cool snacks and hot drinks. Many happy hours, outings

Cons

No products which generates money. No innovative ideas. Not hiring talented full time employees. Hiring inefficient contractors as engineering managers and directors

Advice to Management

Identify your home grown talented employees and motivate them instead of hiring contractors and employing them as managers and directors

5. "bad leadership means bad company direction"

I worked at Ask.com full-time

Pros

lots of free snacks and hot drink are nice. the location is also very good if you are ok with working in oakland.

Cons

leadership and the leadership circle which consists of only handful of people are really self absorbed and seem to only care about themselves and how they come across. throw people under the bus at any chance even though they also demand on making every decision. as other people have said too the diretion of the company is all down hill from here with layoffs happening and less and less money rolling in. just see how many job descriptions ther ARENT on their website.

Advice to Management

youll be fine because you'll blame everyone else instead of taking any responsibility for the crashing and burning.

6. "sr qa engineer"

I worked at Ask.com full-time

Pros

next to bart, snacks, lunch
    Good managers

Cons

doesnt have a good product of its own

7. "Overall good place to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work, fully stocked kitchen, just outside bart station, intelligent engineers to work with. Engineering and managers are good to work with. Fairy balanced personal/work life.

Cons

Need to work more on the product ideas.

"Singularly the worst employer ever"

Former Employee - Search Engine Marketing in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Search Engine Marketing in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time

Pros

Pros, you ask? None at all, other than a few snacks if that interests you at all.

Cons

Singularly the worst employer ever. Already barely keeping afloat, they do what they can to keep employee morale low.
    Politics are the worst here- and I've worked in a consulting firm before, as well as firms that employ as many as 40k people.
    Dubious place to work. My colleague and boss did nothing to help onboard or train me. Just a couple months after joining, I was put on a dubious plan, which was a hoax in the first place.
    My manager did nothing to earn my confidence, lied and hoarded information at my expense and created such bad conditions for me at work that I started suffering from extreme depression, and could barely drag myself to work everyday.
    Ultimately, I just couldn't deal with it and decided my health and well being was more important that a workplace I hated so intensely.
    Work is really bad as it comes, so is work life balance. You can be called upon at any time- including nights/ weekends to fix issues on search marketing, since that is this dinosaur company's only source of revenue. One that they are stealing from large search engines they should be competing with, to buy traffic and then sell ads on their own site.
    BAD PLACE. DO NOT GO HERE AT ANY COST.

Advice to Management

Just accept its not working and get on with things.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, great location near 12th Street BART in Oakland, unlimited vacation, unlimited snacks and drinks.

Cons

The executive team is very clique-y. They do not have a vision for where they want to take the company or the product. Engineering best practices are not followed, and Operations practices are out of date. Open office floor plan is very noisy.

Advice to Management

Give us something ambitious and interesting to work on, something that might change the world, a reason to look forward to coming to work.

"D-List Internet Property"

Former Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, decent benefits, decent co-workers

Cons

Old-school thinking, lack of innovation, big-company style bureaucracy, no-growth company. The particular area I worked in, Search Engine Marketing (SEM) I think it was called, had great co-workers but ultimately was severely dysfunctional because of lousy leadership.

Advice to Management

You need to be honest, fair, and decent to your employees. In 2013 I was hired to do a particular job...evidently. This fact, what that job was exactly, and the urgency it had, were not explained to me before, during, or immediately after I was hired. Eventually, it was made clear, but then I continually received contradictory information and instructions from my supervisor. It made it impossible to trust this person and this behavior is anathema to a healthy, productive, innovative culture.

11. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are interested in anything , you will get a chance to explore

Cons

Not much growth , flat day to day life