Aspen Dental Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aspen Dental President Robert Fontana
Robert Fontana

Pros
  • Helping patients get the care they need every day (in 15 reviews)

• I started as a Patient Service Representative and developed into an Office Manager (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • LONG hours- but only attributed to making sure patients fully understand recommended care and costs associated with them (in 58 reviews)

• not able to stick with the work life balance culture (in 17 reviews)

1. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Easley, SC

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I currently work for Aspen and I love it. From the moment I accepted a position at Aspen, I have had nothing but support/encouragement from the ADMI team. It makes me sad to read all of the negative reviews on here because I have watched Aspen change the lives of so many patients. It feels good, going to work knowing that I can contribute to giving someone who hasn't smiled in years, their smile back. I enjoy the patient interaction and being able to help patients overcome the fear they have of the dentist. I look back and I'm thankful I chose to take a chance and join the Aspen team. If your in SC come see me and my team in Easley, SC We would love the chance to help you get back to a healthy mouth!

Cons

No cons to list, only positive vibes from me!

2. "Hard work pays off!"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Brunswick, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Brunswick, GA

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young company that is growing quickly. Good pay, great benefits. promote quickly. fulfilling career choice.

Cons

Stressful and very fast paced at times it was tough to train in this environment but once I made it past the learning curve I quickly realized its a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep working on more extensive training and more access to online help

3. "Treat Every Patient Like Your Mother."

Current Employee - Office Manager in Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing training program. Fly you out to Syracuse, NY for a full week where you area able to discuss many topics about offices with people from all over the country.
    - Nation wide! You can live just about anywhere and work for Aspen Dental.

Cons

- Low starting wage for Office Managers.
    - Fast growing company, maybe too fast? Not much stability in offices because as soon as an individual is performing we are promoting them to the next office.

Advice to Management

- Pay a little higher for your OM's.
    - Stronger recruiting, maybe having a campus presence.
    - Longer training for external hires.

5. "You have no work life balance , and terrible pay. All the doctors are cheap in what they want to pay ."

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to get experience , but after a year I would suggest moving on because they won't pay enough .

Cons

They expect you to work hard , but expect to pay you 20 cents more each year . Working for this company was such a joke .

Advice to Management

Pay your good employees so you don't continue to have a such a bad turn over rate.

6. "DA"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Aspen Dental part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits Co-workers food safety sanitary

Cons

Schedule under staffed lack of supplies

Advice to Management

Hiring more DAs, due to over scheduling.

7. "Patient Services Representative and Dental Assistant"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patients are friendly, pay is above industry average, there is some room for advancement but not much, wide range of services offered so you get lots of experience.

Cons

high volume dentist, very busy, not much flexibility, no loyalty to long term employees. focused more on money than personal care.

Advice to Management

Don't let the Practice Owners or Regional Managers pressure you into doing things that are unethical.

8. "The Good, The Bad, The Truth"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Akron, OH

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Half day most Fridays (except when the company gives you a two week notice that due to a Friday falling at the end of the month, they want to stay open longer for higher profits), One to two Saturdays/month. Patients who leave happy are very thankful. Decent medical benefits. Non management team I worked with was awesome.

Cons

Long days M-Th (9-10 hours). Sick time does not start until your first or second year, depending upon when you are hired, and it's a max of 3 days/year. Vacation is not earned until second year, depending upon when you start for anyone not in management. Even management and doctors do not have vacation right away, and it is only one week for the first year. Profit over patient business model, very unorganized communication channels and processes, difficult to find help when needed. Over worked and underpaid staff, encouraged to tell "white lies" to patients when cancelling their appointments. Some very angry and difficult to deal with patients when they are in pain or receive a bill, and unethical billing practices in some offices. "Dental insurance benefits" are only allowed at Aspen Dental, and due to low profitability on employees, management is not favorable towards supporting their oral hygiene. Some employees have gone years without cleanings or other work due to the reaction of management when they have asked in the past. My experience in asking for an exam for a painful tooth was difficult and I was made to feel by management as though I were wasting the doctor and staff's time, and lowering the profit for the day. Last but not least, for the "Day of Service", Aspen Dental takes full credit for the staff's unpaid volunteer time in the office. There is a lot of pressure to sign up, and it's up to management if they want to participate. In our office, management signed us up without asking if we were willing and available ahead of time, then pushed us to sign up after promising to upper level management we would be there.

Advice to Management

Listen, and appreciate. Stop making excuses about "how things are" and look at other successful company's business models for guidance (example Philips, Google, Adecco, Lamp Post Group). Don't believe everything your lower level managers tell you. Get out into the field, dig up the truths and weed out the people who are damaging your reputation (among staff and patients). Treat people like people, do the right thing, and watch your profits soar, instead of trying to force the dollar all the time. Research "happy employees make good profits". It may be a longer, slower process, but it's the higher road, filled with integrity and compassion and is something to be proud of. That road will help your company grow with a stronger foundation and a better reputation in the community. Everyone, from the top down, will benefit! The mission at Aspen is admirable, but heed the saying "one bad apple can spoil the barrel". The spoiling goes faster the farther around the barrel it spreads.

9. "Patient Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty easy job, hour lunch, paid time off

Cons

No real training and no one constantly reviewing you for growth in the company.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees and patients, and less on the money. Healthcare will always bring a profit, but even more if it is done properly.

10. "Do not work for this company"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hardworking co-workers and I can't think of anything else

Cons

Management is horrible, pay is below avg and dental benefits aren't even existent

Advice to Management

Hire an office manager that actually has experience

11. "It's all about money with Aspen Dental"

Current Employee - Dental Lab Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Dental Lab Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time

Pros

Insurance is good.

Cons

Pay is not to good. Upper management is terrible! They only care about money. Your only a warm body.

Advice to Management

It's not all about money