Aspen Dental Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Aspen Dental President Robert Fontana
Robert Fontana

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Aspen lives up to its model to help the patients get the care they need" (in 19 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is second to none" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The main focuses we continue to work on improving is communication as well as work life balance" (in 30 reviews)

• "High turn over rate, long hours hard days" (in 68 reviews)

"So much opportunity!"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Silver Springs, Marion, FL
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Silver Springs, Marion, FL

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The patients
    The people
    The growth potential
    Management trusts its staff to make decisions
    Being a part of something greater

Cons

My experience has been very good so far. I’ve received growth opportunities and have been given chances to shine more than I ever have with other jobs. I go to work and have fun, forgetting this is a ‘job’. I’ve made my work at a Aspen Dental a career and I’m right where I need to be. This organization has made it happen for me. I’m very grateful. I will retire with this company.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people. You already say THE PATIENT EXPERIENCE NEVER EXCEEDS THE TEAM EXPERIENCE. I feel the engagement and I love it!

2. "Lab technician"

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, great atmosphere.
    Flexible and understanding
    Good work life balance
    Pretty good health benefits and 401K

Cons

The incentive program for lab technicians is very disappointing, considering the amount of money we bring in for the company.

Advice to Management

Respect the scheduler and lab technician’s capabilities to micromanage their work to ensure quality and dentures in a timely manner

"Mediocre, Time Filler"

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time

Pros

The training program developed by corporate is easy to understand and gives you the tools to learn everything you need to know if followed correctly.

Cons

I was ill-informed about opportunities upon hire. I am now at a dead-end job when I was looking for a career. I have seen people make careers out of Aspen Dental, but those opportunities are not where I am located. I want more out of my "second" home and to be able to have more impact on the business as well as the employees I manage. I am simply a number in the company - literally. My immediate upper management seems aloof when it comes to handling situations that are affecting employees in the front and back of the office. There are plenty of solutions for the small issues I have seen in my short-time there, but little to nothing is being done about it. Employees do not feel heard or appreciated. It breaks my heart to see such talented, hard working people unhappy in their workplace. I am unable to even help where I am at in the company.

Advice to Management

Let go of personal relationships and do what needs to be done to ensure the rest of your employees are happy. One person is affecting anywhere from 8 to 16 other employees, but due to who they know, they have job security with little to no repercussions. There are two people who I have seen receive a "talk" instead of making sure a solution is set in motion. Nothing is being done.

4. "RDH"

Current Employee - Rdh in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Rdh in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Control over my schedule and having HR, take 40% of any gross profit off the top!

Cons

Over booked, expected to work through lunch, the absolute worst computer program ever, etc

Advice to Management

I’d love to give insight, BUT as Mr Fontana has decided that the hygienists are not worthy of Merit bonuses. I doubt any ideas of how to grow & increase production would be welcome!!!!

5. "Opportunity Abounds, Hard Work Pays Off"

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time

Pros

- Plenty of room for growth/development, not simply vertically, but laterally as well.

- In role training.

- Self determined career path and pace.

- Company wide willingness to try new ideas, and acceptance of ideas from anyone within the organization.

Cons

- If you were to call fast pace a con, this would be it. The organization moves very quickly. Some don't like it, I personally enjoy the constant progress and change.

- You will work hard here, no doubt about it. Tons of dedication to what you do is required. It works for me.

Advice to Management

A greater level of more proactive coaching, not necessarily training, would be welcomed!

6. "Scheduling Center Representative"

Former Employee - Scheduling Center Representative in East Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Scheduling Center Representative in East Syracuse, NY

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great support from management and fellow employees, constant prizes, ability to work from home, and a strong growing company. Fast advancement for the top performers.

Cons

Although they insist on not using the word, this is in the end a "sales" job. Nature of calls are sorted electronically and go to individual reps using unknown criteria which can put certain reps at a disadvantage. Only reps with desire and ability to turn calls who do not want nor need appointments into ones will thrive and last on the job. Also, although one can advance a ways up through the call center or easily move to positions out in a dental office, there seems to be a silent barrier when it comes to moving up from call center positions to corporate positions not directly related to the call center.

Advice to Management

Great management, but just be more open and clear up front as to how sales focused position becomes. It will foster better recruits, more loyalty , and better results!

"All about the numbers"

Current Employee - Registered Dental Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Dental Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Aspen Dental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You definitely get your full amount of hours and then some. Great benefits.

Cons

No life outside the office. Over worked. Managers only care about the numbers, no patients. Double to triple booked schedules. Short staffed.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about the money and numbers, focus more on what patients really need. Hire more dentists. Quit over booking schedules.

"Room to grow"

Former Employee - Lead Dental Assistant in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Dental Assistant in Pottstown, PA

I worked at Aspen Dental (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, paid vacation, great place to start gaining experience. Aspen is a charitable company that really enjoys helping people.

Cons

Not all management is great, the pay is low.

Advice to Management

Help assistants more with CE credits and becoming certified if not, and create an efda program.

"Good company"

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities for those who are in the inner circle with the founder and owner.

Cons

It can be hard to get into that circle.

"Stressful environment"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Stuart, FL
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Stuart, FL

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, sometimes they are so short staffed you get to have several hours of over time, as long as you can deal with a numbers driven business then you will be ok.

Cons

No work life balance, long hours, the ‘higher ups’ (regional managers and some practice owners) put a lot of stress into the employees and treat them as a number and not a human.

Advice to Management

First thing in the morning is not the time to grind numbers into your employees heads, it starts the day on a negative note.