Aspen Dental Employee Reviews about "dentist"

Updated Aug 17, 2020

3.4
Aspen Dental President Bob Fontana
Bob Fontana
Pros
  • "Dentist compensation is based off of patient satisfaction(in 36 reviews)

• "I started as an office manager and absolutely fell in love with the process of helping patients and same day treatment(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, Work/Life balance is tough at times(in 89 reviews)

• "Working with demanding/ demeaning dentist(in 58 reviews)

Reviews about "dentist"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fast moving company that puts patients first no matter what you read"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dentist compensation is based off of patient satisfaction. In other words, if patients aren't happy, dentists lose money. Patients first - always. The network opens practices in rural areas (Smalltown USA) where patients need the most help. Aspen Dental has donated tens of millions of dollars in free care to veterans and through outreach mission trips.

Cons

Aggressive growth sometimes means aggressive goals, but we have the resources to accomplish what we need to do

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

Hey - your Blue is showing and we appreciate you!

"Toxic work environment and predatory practices."

Former Employee - Dental Hygienist RDH in Sanford, FL

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every now and then you will have an awesome coworker (but that won’t last bc no one good stays long)...

Cons

Abuse of power, inept dentists, corrupt management, being pushed/pressured to burnout, nepotism, no help from HR, toxic work environment, etc; being paid based on “production” leads to predatory and unethical practices, etc

3. "Corporate Greed"

Former Employee - PSR in Augusta, GA

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time for less than a year

Pros

The dentist and staff was great.

Cons

As with most corporations they cut corners, way too many job responsibilities for the amount you are paid.

4. "Good job for Full Time Employment with lots of company benefits."

4.0
    Former Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist in Watertown, NY

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Always busy, Periodontal Treatment focused, most Dental work done in house, ability to move up in the company, bonuses given, can schedule patients as you see fit (within reason), able to practice Dental Hygiene to the maximum of our Licensure.

Cons

Base pay was lean, many changing employees and Dentists, I felt bullied by some of the employees and nothing was done about it even after saying so.

"Beware New Grads."

Current Employee - General Dentist

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro I could think about is that if you are desperate for a Job and need a position, they will hire you regardless of what you say or do at interview. Aspen has such a high rate of turn over. Within the year I started, my owner shuffeled doctors through his multiple practices because people quit quite often.

Cons

Pay seems great in theory when you are presented with a job but in reality aspens way of pay is so complicated that you are promised money that you never end up seeing. I never saw the bonus I was offered at the interview because of some new reason always. There is alot of unethical dentistry happening and I left because I could never agree to put my license on line for a few corporate numbers. Most of the time, I ended up fixing previous dentists work because so many people left that all the treatment plans are half done only. Management was of not much help. If you speak ill of the companyn or it’s ways, you become the bad guy instead of taking initiative to fix things. Work hours were also draining. 10hrs a day 5 days and also 2 saturdays a month and also some meetings after work hours. All the offices are very heavily based on new patients so you are forced to see a full extra column of new patients all day and their new patient exams are free. So you are basically seeing people for nothing much in return. You’ll also see that the office dental assistants or managers are always the older employees but there is always a new dentist in house so the assistants and manners basically rule the office instead of you deciding how to do your dentistry. They know that you’ll quit and there will be a new doc anyways. Very dangerous environment to put your license to put through, that you work so hard to get.

Continue reading
  6. "Office managers are undervalued and rarely promoted."

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You’re able to engage your team. Goals can be obtainable with the proper influence

Cons

Working with demanding/ demeaning dentist No voice to regional managers Inadequate support from regional managers Goal expectation without proper training

Continue reading

"BEWARE - OMs are viewed as disposable"

Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time

Pros

Free dental care, financial incentives.

Cons

Current OMs and those considering an OM position - you are viewed as disposable by the RMs, despite appearances. I was privy to conversations with more than one regional manager at different times both discussing an OM "might not being the right fit" for an office OMs' numbers being down - some of which was beyond their control, such as under performing dentists or understaffed offices. It is a cut throat mentality in regards to the OMs. When training, despite smiling faces and pleasantries, no one is your friend - including your peers training you. Every move your make is being tallied and counted behind the scenes. Be very weary of giving up a job to come here if you are financially dependent upon your paycheck. I read the reviews here at Glassdoor and knew it was a risk, but decided to a chance. I was in the position to save everything I made so I am no worse off. I don't know the exact % that hire in from outside to an OM position and make it through training to getting an office, but its got to be very low. I never met a single one, though I was aware of at least 3 who didn't make it thru. Most OMs are DAs or PSRs who were promoted from within the company. And just FYI... pay attention to all of these positive reviews that have shown up recently. All from corporate employees.

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and we'd like to find out more from you. If you're comfortable, please reach out to HRSupport@aspendental.com to discuss this further.

"Money hungry"

Current Employee - PSR in Akron, OH

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer financing to patients. Good job training.

Cons

They move appointments without telling patients. They allow crazy dentists to work on people just so they make money. Their head so isnt in the right spot. Their own company dental insurance for employees is like nonexistsnt, how ironic.

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

We hear your feedback and would like to discuss what you mentioned further. If you're comfortable, please reach out to HRSupport@aspendental.com to share your concerns.

"This is a place to make a career"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked here for 6 years. The first year of being a dentist is hard anywhere, but there is so much support and mentorship nowadays, especially for new dentists. I plan to make my whole career as a dentist with Aspen Dental. I hire my own staff, order whichever materials I want, treatment plan and treat patients the way I see fit, and do CE with Aspen and external to it. I also equip my offices with CT machines and iTero scanners to make sure I have top notch technology. There is no one ever telling me how to practice, but if I need it, there are so many people I can reach out to for assistance. I have a great network of colleagues I trust not only for advice, but to treat my own mouth or that of my family's.

Cons

We meet a lot of patients every day, so if you aren't a decisive treatment planner this can be a challenge, but there are mentor doctors willing to help you improve your skills (if you are open to feedback). Every day of work is busy for me, but I do have full input on how I schedule, so if it is a tough day I really did it to myself.

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

Hey - your Blue is showing and we appreciate you!

10. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Dentist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to be part of, great core values, they give you all the support that you need to succeed, they are always investing in their dentists, great pay and great potential for growth. Mentorship in all aspects of dentistry. High volume of patients. Help patients that otherwise would not have access to care.

Cons

It can be overwhelming if you don’t know how to balance work/life.

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for helping patients get the care they need, today. We appreciate your commitment to great care and service.

Found 93 reviews