Aspen Heights Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Aspen Heights CEO Greg Henry
Greg Henry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In the time I was there, I saw over half of the corporate office quit including entire departments (in 7 reviews)

• Growing pains that realistically come with working and growing with a climbing company (in 5 reviews)

1. "Leasing and Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Leasing and Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Leasing and Marketing Manager

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time

Pros

Great company atmosphere and benefits

Cons

Long black out period in July and August

2. "I currently work at a student community. I also live at aspen height and I completely love it."

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Clemson, SC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Clemson, SC

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very entergetic
    Love working for student and off campus housing.
    Knowledgeable in all aspects off managing student properties and conventional housing.

Cons

Sometimes the student can be a hassle but you overcome it. Parents are sometimes difficult to deal with especially if they are not on the lease. It's against protocol to discuss any lease terms with persons not on the lease.

3. "Resident Services Manager"

Current Employee - Resident Services Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Aspen Heights part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working for this company. I have been honored by gaining knowledge of the student housing industry through the leaders of Aspen Heights. I get a thrill of how the company continues to grow and achieve. I hope to grow with this company advance my title and position within the company. They allow you to be creative, strategic, and have great potential.

Cons

Sometimes communication is not the best but it is getting bettering better. Need to learn better from mistakes made which is what i have learned. Nothing to negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep on learning from mistakes to become the best

4. "Love my job"

Current Employee - General Manager in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Aspen Heights is the most liberating job I have ever had. The really let your grab the position by the horns and run with it. Extremely fun working environment and they truly care about their employees.

Cons

Working each and every day with mostly college clientele can cause unnecessary stress.

Advice to Management

Keep growing! This company rocks!!

"They Didn't Seem To Have Their Priorities Straight."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Aspen Heights full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Aspen Heights is still a relatively young company. At one time, their product was pretty unique (Cottage Style) and they had great success in the warmer regions of the housing market. However, they are trying to build their portfolio with new developments in regions I don't think they did enough research on. Their mid-rise and garden-style properties are nice, but I really don't think they should try to compete with other, more established properties who have been in the market longer.

I will say, this company clearly has money to spend (and given the almost certain fate of my property, to waste) I was flown out to Austin literally for a lunch. My salary was really high- and they spend a lot of money on "fun" i.e. onboarding, Engage.

Awesome SWAG. I still use my Aspen Heights Partners YETI even at my new property!

Cons

Full disclosure, I was let go from my position for "... a pattern of behavior that didn't fit with our principles and performance". I still to this day do not know what that means. Especially considering I had no corrective action letters in my personnel file- I always acted with the upmost integrity, and I worked tirelessly to do everything I could to make my property succeed.

That being said- I am not here to trash Aspen Heights. Rather, I want to highlight some of the concerns I had while I was there.

The entire time I worked for Aspen, I was told that my market was an "early market" and the emphasis was only on signing leases. This being said, everything the company did, showed that they either didn't care that the market was "early"- or they didn't have their stuff together to set the property up to be successful. For example:

- I started the interview process in May of 2016, and was informed they wanted to hire by mid-June. They didn't finish my interview process until the end of August. I was happy they worked with me on a start date- but I didn't officially start until the first week of September. Literally on my first day of real work, the property went live for leasing, because they were told it was an "early market".

-We had a "leasing space" available to us the entire time I worked at Aspen. However, they didn't finish it until the first week of November. We quite literally worked out of coffee shops, and a temporary office space downtown, nowhere near campus, or our property. Again, if they knew this was an "early market", why they didn't have all their ducks in a row, is beyond me. I saw this happen at all four of their new-market properties.

-Aspen Heights had to have done absolutely no market research on my market, before entering it. If they did, they didn't see the writing on the wall. My market was incredibly saturated with more housing properties still coming. They purchased the plans for a property from a developer who couldn't get it off the ground. It's a 490 bed (the largest property in the market) property, almost two miles from campus. Had they done research, they would have known that ALL the comps were walking distance from campus, or on campus property, and on the bus line. Undergraduates don't want to live that far from campus- and 490 beds is way too big of a property to fill with only graduate students, and the international graduate student population (which we were told over and over again is our demographic) furthermore, graduate students do not want expensive, high luxury living. I was never told where the property actually was, until I was flown to Texas for my lunch interview (they flew me round-trip, in one day for over $700, just to have lunch) I should have known not being told where the property was for over four months was a warning sign. Furthermore, EVERYONE in my market was WAY behind in their pre-leasing numbers for the next year. Including the ACC property which always pre-leases at 100% by the end of the fall semester. When I left, they were still in the 70's. To be successful in the market I was in, you would have to change the entire culture of student housing, and the mindset- as well as be incredibly competitive with your pricing. The three-months I was there, was not enough time to create a new culture, and our prices were not competitive. I will give the property credit that they are killing it with their marketing now, but to be less than 50% pre-leased 4 months before opening- is a clear indicator of how little research was done before entering the market.

-My office was a two-person show for the entire time I was there. Myself and the Sales and Marketing Manager had never done this kind of work before, with my SMM coming from fashion merchandising, and myself coming from traditional student housing, with some business administration before I started in Higher Education. This being said, I never truly felt supported by anyone in the company. Perhaps I should have reached out more for help, and I will take full-responsibility for that- but the company knew who they hired to lead this Lease-Up, more support and guidance would have been nice. We had a Regional Marketing staff member spend about a month with us early on, he taught us some valuable things- but then, a month later when we still hadn't signed leases- they sent another Marketing staff member to our property. This individual was shocked at all the stuff we didn't know, because the first didn't tell us (of course the second individual said we should have known these things).

-My Regional Manager was brand new to the company, but not new to Student Housing. It was almost impossible to connect with him, he would cancel our one on one's almost weekly- and he really wasn't supportive when I was in contact with him. He would tell me that I had the ownership to make decisions for the property. However, he would still overturn my decisions. I think the company put too much on his plate (he had two of the new-market properties in his portfolio) I think the company eventually realized this too, because I think they took the other new market property from him.

Bottom line. They didn't have the resources in place for us to be successful. They expected us to be signing leases the minute we went live- without us even learning the market, or implementing strategies to infiltrate it. I know I was let go because we weren't signing leases. I get that, and I am more than fine with that. However, knowing what they claimed to have known- and not providing the staffing or even the leasing space to do work- and climbing an up-hill battle with the location and pricing of the property. Anyone who was hired to lead that project, would have been doomed.

Advice to Management

Don't build properties just for the sake of having a property.

Give your on-site teams the tools they need to be successful. It absolutely blows my mind that we had a leasing office space since August, it wasn't completed until November, and I was let go 3 weeks later. The expectation that I was supposed to sign 100+ leases in the 2 weeks we actually had a leasing space (students were gone for a week for Thanksgiving) is absurd, and unrealistic.

Do your research. A 490 bed property, 2 miles from campus, in a market where all the comps are walking distance to campus, is not going to be successful. Not to mention that a new property is being built, literally on campus- and the University is looking to extend the on-campus housing requirement- truly puts this property in danger. This is all information that could have been found out by a few google searches, long before Aspen even started building.

Aspen Heights Response

Mar 30, 2017 – HR Manager

Hi there,

Thank you for providing this thorough feedback. Feedback from all employees, past and present, is valuable and we appreciate your candid thoughts. We are feeling more established as an... More

"Resident Services Manager"

Current Employee - Resident Services Manager in Lincoln, NE

Pros

I've had the opportunity to work for Aspen Heights Partners for a little over a year now. Honestly I've never been happier, this company is great! The dynamic and support from my local team all the way up to the corporate office has been wonderful. They may you want to work to achieve.

Cons

This isn't really a con on the company, but if you're applying be sure to let them know you're willing to look into other Aspen Heights properties. They have great teams across the US.

Advice to Management

I love how you want to continue to grow internally.

"The longer you stay, the more you get out of it!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Norman, OK

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, challenging objectives, team approach! I have had an interesting experience with Aspen Heights. I started as a Marketing Associate for a new market and once graduating, transitioned to a full time position, though not initially. It wasn't until I left AH that I really how much I missed it which is why I came back. Aspen Heights does an exceptional job at building this culture and team approach to strategy and problem solving that I think is lost in other companies. They provide challenging objectives that foster tremendous growth and development. Recently, there seems (from a site level) to have been a lot of shifting in roles ,departments, responsibilities,etc...that could be perceived as concerning. But I think it's crucial to note that not only is it not concerning but it's more than normal! Companies grow and have to make adjustments and I think that Aspen Heights is simply figuring out what works best for the team in Austin, and then subsequently across their portfolio of properties nationwide. All this to say...I stuck with Aspen, from Concierge, to Sales & Marketing Manager, and now Assistant General Manager, and I'm incredibly glad that I did. To be clear, property management is not my passion...marketing and strategic communication is. And will I stay in the student housing industry forever? Probably not. But what I have found with AH, is a product and a brand that has allowed me to take ownership of my work and continue my love of working with students. If you're considering applying for a job with Aspen Heights, go for it! But know...it'll take some time for you to get in a groove, but I highly recommend that you stick it out, because at the end of the day, it's worth it.

Cons

Some weekends as well as late nights. Attempting to figure out sales strategies in markets that seem to fluctuate every year can be challenging, but frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the greater level and consistency of communication! More recently, communication has improved from VPs to RMs, and then RMs to site teams. Not only is it refreshing, but it's unifying, encouraging and ultimately reassuring to all company employees!

"Fantastic Company!!"

Current Employee - Senior Regional Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Regional Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time

Pros

I have been beyond impressed from the day I was recruited to the time I’m writing this review. Aspen Heights is truly a collaborative environment that permeates positive energy and creative inspiration. It’s a work environment that is focused on productivity and fun! Spanning every department an attitude of teamwork and resiliency exists. The growth and innovation and opportunity to be strategic are a rare find in this business. I’m beyond proud to work at Aspen Heights.

Cons

The company has grown quickly and I would advise that anyone interested be willing and adaptable.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aspen Heights Response

Apr 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback! Early on, Aspen Heights recognized the need for an unmatched candidate experience and your review confirms we’re getting it right. We work hard to find the best... More

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Starkville, MS
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Starkville, MS

Pros

They listen to their employees concerns and implement changes to strengthen the company. You will not have to worry about feeling unheard in any way. The company is fairly young and takes the time to invest in young talent. They also do an outstanding job at taking care of their employees and their needs.

Cons

Honestly, there I have no complaints from a company standpoint. I would suggest this company to a friend.

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Norman, OK

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and environment to work in are great. From the start they arm you with the tools you need to succeed. Lots of room to work as in not being micromanaged.

Cons

It is a growing company which also makes it a changing company. Change isn't necessarily bad. However, things about the change can be bad. Change that happens to soon or maybe not soon enough.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the roots. Make sure we are hiring great people. Don't hire skilled people and motivate them. Hire motivated people and inspire them.