Aspen Heights Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aspen Heights CEO Greg Henry
Greg Henry

Pros
  • Great management, upper management, and company culture (in 9 reviews)

• s a work environment that is focused on productivity and fun (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • In the time I was there, I saw over half of the corporate office quit including entire departments (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains that realistically come with working and growing with a climbing company (in 5 reviews)

"Leasing & Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Leasing and Marketing Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Leasing and Marketing Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Aspen Heights part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, upper management, and company culture

Cons

Tough work/life balance during the "turn", but that should be expected in student housing

"Resident Services Manager"

Current Employee - Resident Services Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Resident Services Manager in Lincoln, NE

Pros

I've had the opportunity to work for Aspen Heights Partners for a little over a year now. Honestly I've never been happier, this company is great! The dynamic and support from my local team all the way up to the corporate office has been wonderful. They may you want to work to achieve.

Cons

This isn't really a con on the company, but if you're applying be sure to let them know you're willing to look into other Aspen Heights properties. They have great teams across the US.

Advice to Management

I love how you want to continue to grow internally.

3. "MA"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Aspen Heights part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people to work for. Great work environment. Everyone is very nice and willing to help. Gives you a wide range of experience. You definitely have the opportunity to stay within the company if you work for it.

Cons

Some of the residents can be problematic at times, but that is with any job.

"The longer you stay, the more you get out of it!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Norman, OK

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, challenging objectives, team approach! I have had an interesting experience with Aspen Heights. I started as a Marketing Associate for a new market and once graduating, transitioned to a full time position, though not initially. It wasn't until I left AH that I really how much I missed it which is why I came back. Aspen Heights does an exceptional job at building this culture and team approach to strategy and problem solving that I think is lost in other companies. They provide challenging objectives that foster tremendous growth and development. Recently, there seems (from a site level) to have been a lot of shifting in roles ,departments, responsibilities,etc...that could be perceived as concerning. But I think it's crucial to note that not only is it not concerning but it's more than normal! Companies grow and have to make adjustments and I think that Aspen Heights is simply figuring out what works best for the team in Austin, and then subsequently across their portfolio of properties nationwide. All this to say...I stuck with Aspen, from Concierge, to Sales & Marketing Manager, and now Assistant General Manager, and I'm incredibly glad that I did. To be clear, property management is not my passion...marketing and strategic communication is. And will I stay in the student housing industry forever? Probably not. But what I have found with AH, is a product and a brand that has allowed me to take ownership of my work and continue my love of working with students. If you're considering applying for a job with Aspen Heights, go for it! But know...it'll take some time for you to get in a groove, but I highly recommend that you stick it out, because at the end of the day, it's worth it.

Cons

Some weekends as well as late nights. Attempting to figure out sales strategies in markets that seem to fluctuate every year can be challenging, but frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the greater level and consistency of communication! More recently, communication has improved from VPs to RMs, and then RMs to site teams. Not only is it refreshing, but it's unifying, encouraging and ultimately reassuring to all company employees!

"Former Corporate Employee"

I worked at Aspen Heights full-time

Pros

-Free monthly breakfast
    -Somewhat flexible schedule/working remote
    -It's a paycheck

Cons

With new investors+managers, people spread so thin and noone enjoyed work anymore. Life of the place died; mass employee exodus. Everyone went to work, kept their head down, and went home. Leadership didn't seem to pay attention with people constantly leaving.
    Low/flat raises.
    CEO never there and seemed uninterested in being a part of the team. Always took monthly vacations with his new wife; never a part of things other than investor meetings and trips with her that he made company pay for.
    Heard they're giving some corporate departments Fridays off for August, but not everyone. I guess no one else wants to enjoy the rest of their summers with their families.
    Thye sold off properties that execs were excited for, but it meant nothing to most employees working there who won't see a bonus for it.
    They talk up culture, but its nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people. Are they happy there? Do you ask if they enjoy going to work or who they work with? Treat people fairly. If you can't offer more in comp, get creative about what you can offer. Take a minute to talk about culture. Or else you're people will keep looking and leaving for new opportunities.

Aspen Heights Response

Aug 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your opinion here on Glassdoor. As you know, we continue to value communication by using our Employee Advisory Council to identify tensions before they can ... More

"Do I even have to give 1 star?"

I worked at Aspen Heights full-time

Pros

There really isn't much to say here. They try to do cool things like bring is donuts for National Donut Day. That's about it.

Cons

Where to start. Other reviews will go into more detail, I don't really care to put too much effort into this, but would like to warn job seekers to stay far, far away. In the time I was there, I saw over half of the corporate office quit including entire departments. Management is awful, communication is awful, and if you aren't one of the selected people the upper management decides to like, good luck. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to come back and work for this company.

Advice to Management

Why don't you actually listen to your employees? Upper management is running this company into the ground and over the course of a couple years, you have managed to lose all of your talent. Not sure what the point of exit interviews are when you don't take them seriously.

8. "Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Aspen Heights part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours and a great introduction to marketing

Cons

Working Saturdays and being verbally abused my students and their parents.

9. "Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Aspen Heights part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a very fun staff to work with, were given simple expectations of job duties, great office in the clubhouse.

Cons

There weren't a whole lot, unless you choose to work and live in the community. Then you run into the issue of mixing your out of work life with your work life. It doesn't always go over well.

Advice to Management

Keep the atmosphere fun, you're mainly working with college students so tailor to their interests. Ease up on the community rules.

"Growing Company with Fun Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been employed with Aspen Heights for nearly one year now and have come to realize that AH offers an extremely unique culture to its employees. While the "work hard/play hard" environment sounds cliche, I am not sure that there is a better way to put it. The executive staff is personally involved in the development of their employees and everyone is given the opportunity to get as involved in the company's community outreach (such as the non-profit AWAKE program) both locally and internationally as they choose.

Compared with companies both large and small that I have previously worked for, Aspen Heights has so far been the best experience. To be in a place where you, as an individual, are valued and able to put your own stamp on things is extremely uncommon. I often recommend AH to friends seeking new employment and look forward to being a part of the company's growth moving forward.

Cons

Aspen Heights is seeing a lot of growth right now, and with growth comes growing pains. The company is really going through a transition from a start-up to a mid-sized company, but with some of those growing pains comes new opportunities internally.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow in size, many employees hope to see a clearer picture of their career path. Those opportunities are developing, but it would be nice to see what that would look like from senior management.

11. "Management Level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL

I worked at Aspen Heights (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Aspen I received another great level of experience in my skill set and gained a second family!

Cons

Growing pains that realistically come with working and growing with a climbing company.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow Aspen into its full potential.