Aspen Music Festival and School Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 28, 2017

4.5
Alan Fletcher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Senior Event Management Assistant"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Aspen Music Festival and School as an intern

Pros

Positive team environment, great place to learn, gives interns real responsibilities

Cons

Only offers internships in the summer

2. "Amazing"

I have been working at Aspen Music Festival and School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is creative, diverse, funny, and supportive. I've never worked anywhere so inclusive and friendly in my life.

Cons

The patrons can be annoying, but that's not the fault of the festival.

Advice to Management

None.

3. "Fantastic Institution With Great Leadership"

I have been working at Aspen Music Festival and School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent two years here in an administrative role. The senior staff members at the AMFS are hardworking, sincere, and forward-looking, and thus great to work for. For a non-profit, the organization has great benefits and respectable pay. More importantly, the institution truly values its mission and employees get the added benefit of knowing that they change lives through music every summer.

Cons

-Due to limited staff size, there isn't much opportunity for upward advancement within the organization.
    -Summers are incredibly busy and rewarding, but work can become boring during the off-season.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do and changing lives, but doing forget to develop less-experienced employees so they are more inclined to stick around.

4. "A fun place to learn festival operations."

Former Contractor - Assistant Production Manager in Aspen, CO
    Former Contractor - Assistant Production Manager in Aspen, CO

I worked at Aspen Music Festival and School as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, beautiful location, and fun office culture!

Cons

Administration is slow to adopt new policies, even when the proposed changes promote a healthier work environment or aim to improve operations. Lots of "red tape" and unnecessary approvals needed for seemingly minor changes.

Advice to Management

Listen to the input of seasonal employees and meet with them during pre- and post-season weeks to discuss operations.

5. "It was a immersive, real (academic) life environment, where the responsibilities were clear and compensation reasonable."

Current Employee - Associate Instructor
    Current Employee - Associate Instructor

I have been working at Aspen Music Festival and School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many resources at Indiana University which one can take advantage of as an employee, and my boss was responsible, caring, and attentive.

Cons

As a large environment, you are a small fish in a big pond. Recognition beyond your immediate circle is difficult, but it is the surrounding people that you form the most meaningful relationships anyways.