Aspen Valley Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Dave Ressler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"New RN in the Emergency Department"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aspen, CO

I have been working at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly and helpful especially for someone like me who is new in town. After just 1-2 weeks I got to know all of my co-workers very well. They seem very happy to work here. I really like that I get to work in a brand new E.R, it's nice having state of the art equipment... I am not used to having that. All in all I am really glad I accepted the job and came to work here, it's a great bunch of people.

Cons

Housing within the City of Aspen is tough to find but it can be done, it just takes a lot of searching and realizing that if you are relocating here you may need to downsize your living quarters if you want to live in the city of Aspen.

Advice to Management

None just yet. I'm still relatively new.

"Wouldn't want to work anywhere else!"

Current Employee - Flex nurse in Aspen, CO
    Current Employee - Flex nurse in Aspen, CO

Pros

My director (and almost all others) really value a strong work / life balance. Also, administration tries very hard to make sure that employees always feel valued. I was really surprised to see in previous reviews someone venting about pink slips being handed out. I am a flex nurse and I work in 4 different departments so I have strong knowledge of the entire nursing staff throughout the whole hospital. To my knowledge, the hospital has not laid off a single nurse in well over 10 years. In fact, they are looking to add new staff at this time.

Cons

Jobs rarely seem to open up unless the hospital is expanding practices or people retire

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within.

"Rrt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Castle, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Castle, CO

I worked at Aspen Valley Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome family feeling within staff

Cons

Hard to advance in your field

"Just another corporate J-O-B."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO

I have been working at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great cafeteria, discounts on ski passes, extensive employee wellness program, OK bennies.

Cons

It really helps if you are a beautiful young person, skill set and experience not so important. Horrible lack of diversity. Management and HR will throw you away like a piece of trash when they are done with you, so don't make any life-altering commitments to work here. Someone else commented about mass lay-offs of older people. It's all true. Also, most of the reviews here about AVH are done by HR staff. It is their job to market and recruit. Don't believe the hype. Administrative staff won't even acknowledge your existence walking down the halls once you start working here. The board may have an "open door policy" but good luck getting them on the phone or taking 30 seconds to reply to an email.

Advice to Management

The hospital's core values and standards for professional behaviour detailed in the employee handbook should apply to management. The corporate condescension toward service staff and seasonal workers by the board and management is disgraceful. Paraphrasing: The metric of organizational leadership is judged by how the lowest paid and oldest employees are treated. These are people. Don't treat them like dogs.

"One of Best Employers in 30+ Years"

I have been working at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Out of the 16 businesses I have worked with/for during the past 31 years, AVH ranks in my Top 3 due to providing work that matters, generous benefits to employees & their families, support in maintaining healthy life/work balances, and numerous career development opportunities.

Cons

Commuting up valley can be tiresome, but even then, AVH offers deeply discounted RFTA bus passes and stipends to employees who carpool.

Advice to Management

The morale of an organization is not built from the bottom up; it filters from the top down.

"Sinking ship - Pink slips already being sent out"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aspen, CO

I have been working at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The patients and co-workers at AVH are top-notch. Up until recently, I would say working for a small locally oriented non-profit hospital and making a difference in the community was the biggest perk, but not so much anymore.

Cons

If you are considering a position at Aspen Valley Hospital, keep in mind that the organization is in flux and any new-hires are basically considered temp workers. If you have any other potential leads or options, I'd seriously recommend looking elsewhere. There is a culture of deceit at AVH and the Executive Team has proven to be pathologically incapable of being honest or compassionate with their staff.

There is a restructuring underway. Whole departments are losing their jobs and being outsourced. Suspiciously, these cuts only target senior employees who have been with the hospital for decades. These employees are now losing their housing, retirement and healthcare and will have a very difficult time finding new employment due to their age and the specialization of their skillsets. Rather than transitioning these people into new positions, it is far more "financially sensible" to discard them all and recruit inexperienced people or outsource. The Executive Team and HR are showing no loyalty or compassion to veteran employees who have dedicated their lives to the community and given up many other opportunities to keep the organization afloat during the lean years.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

7. "Director of Ancillary Services"

Former Employee - Director in Horizon City, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Horizon City, TX

I worked at Aspen Valley Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Patient care is the main priority

Cons

Weak Communication. Some staff feel entitled because they have been working there 20+ years

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for AVH for 13 years and had many opportunties for career growth. Staff are the best and really care about the patients.

Cons

Commute; I lived in Silt in order to acquire the type of housing needed for my family.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be better!

"What a nice place to work."

Current Employee - Marketing/Event Coordinator in Aspen, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing/Event Coordinator in Aspen, CO

I have been working at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is something great about working with like minded care giving professionals. AVH is full of people who truly are interested in giving excellent care to this community.
    This hospital is full of healthy people too. That is an increduble bonus. The lifestyle in Aspen is embodied by the staff and employee wellness program here. A caring staff that live the healthy life are truly able to be examples to the community about how to live an healthy life.
    This hosital is just full of great people. Great people doing amazing things. Great people who really like where they work and what they do.
    The pay is very competitive, the environment is astounding but it is the common goal of healthy living that makes this place so great.

Cons

I personally had a lot of catching up to do. I came from the Food and Beverage world in to the marketing world of health care, so I had to learn a new base line of vocabulary, purpose and intention.
    AVH has been ghreat about bringing me into an environment of excellent care giving.

Advice to Management

Lets make a big change. Lates not be afraid to make bold changes in this crazy changing world of health care. Lets tryly make Aspen a leader in the world of better living!

"Overall good experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO

I worked at Aspen Valley Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really care about the happiness of their employees. Benefits are great, employees are great. Everyone seems to care about their own health, not just that of our patients.

Cons

One person in particular is insane and will try to destroy your career there if she simply feels like it based on her mood. I would hear about politics from other people, but I never got involved.

Advice to Management

All management should have an open door policy.