AspenTech Reviews | Glassdoor

AspenTech Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • AspenTech has really good benefits and they seem to get progressively better year over year (in 16 reviews)

• Great Products with excellent technologies to work and learn (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work from home ever" mentality (in 13 reviews)

• Work/life balance is non-existent (in 9 reviews)

"It's not for everybody."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New updated facility location with nice amenities and close proximity to route 3 and 95. Pretty good benefit package and vacation time allotment (but good luck getting the time approved). Mandatory quarterly finance meetings allow those in the finance department to escape the tiny new cubes for a couple hours.

Cons

Dictatorship mentality. Upper management does not trust their employees to work from home. Be prepared to take a vacation day if you can't make it into work in 2+ feet of snow. Lack of growth opportunity. You legitimately have to be performing the position for over a year to even be considered for a promotion or raise (which sometimes can be even longer because apparently they only offer promotions once a year). From my experience, I felt forced into working later than necessary hours so that the whole team finished tasks "together". Better performing employees are punished due to the lack of experience and work ethic of others within their groups. The new assistant controller is difficult to speak to and work with. "Their way or the highway mentality." Not afraid to call you out and embarrass you in a room full of people like being reprimanded in high school. If you want to grow within an organization and express your ideas in making a team better or more successful don't bother with this company.

Advice to Management

Stop restricting your employees from growing with vintage ideas. Stop trying to just "fill rolls" and focus on employing people who want to make a difference in not just the company but coworkers lives as well. Work/home life balance goes a long way. Treating your good hardworking employees like lepers when they give their two weeks notice is going to result in negative feedback. Maybe extending advice and well wishes will result in better employer reviews and in turn a better pool of people to hire.

"global account director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great technical pre sale resources

Cons

low base pay and other things

Advice to Management

pay at market rates

"Great Expectations"

Current Employee - Analyst in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive Benefits. Dedicated, hard working employees. New building is nice but kind of off the beaten track.

Cons

Old CEO was a tyrant. There were great expectations when new CEO took over. He is, for sure, a decent guy but the old regime is clearly still in place. I guess that management must tell him what he wants to hear and he believes them...... and the dedicated, hardworking, talented people continue to leave in droves. What does that tell you? I think that things are getting worse. Aspen is financially successful and that seems to be the only thing that counts.

Advice to Management

Stop the micro management and start trusting employees to do their job. People can be trusted to work at home otherwise why would so many other companies do it. Why not catch up with the times and allow employees some flexibility.

"Poor Work Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Data Administrator in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Administrator in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit package was pretty good compared to same level companies. Starting salaries for some what experienced employees comparable to others

Cons

Poor management in middle & upper areas. Should be listed in the dictionary as an example for micromanaged. Some managers create hostile work environments within their own groups by pitting employees against each other. You are "on call" 24/7 if in a production department, it is a demand not a choice. Work into AM hours at end of quarters as necessary (which was at least 2 out of 4). Raises and bonuses poor

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and end hostile environment

"Great Place to Work and Learn New Things, Great People"

Current Employee - Manager of Finance in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Manager of Finance in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent 4 years in the Finance organization and I enjoyed working there a great deal. People are great and very cooperative. Aspen is a great company to work for and learn new things. I had an opportunity to grow professionally and learn best practices

Cons

I can't think of anything. This is a very well run and successful organization with strong leadership

Advice to Management

Aspen is a very well run organization with a proven success record. I am confident it will continue on this path in the future

Oct 20, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! We are pleased that you had such a positive experience at AspenTech. We are always looking for new ways to grow and stretch our employees, and it sounds like you had ... More

"Watch Out and Run Fast and Far Away - They're Trying to Game the System With Fake Reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can collect benefits and a paycheck while working on nothing substantive other than searching for your next REAL career opportunity.

Cons

Too many to list. Abusive, idiotic middle and senior management. Want to gain usable skills, or to use the valuable ones you've cultivated over the course of your career? Totally laughable. Certainly won't happen here.

Advice to Management

Just accept your flaws and realize you're as good as you will ever be until being acquired (or retiring) and just keep hiring junior talent that doesn't know any better, but at least be honest about the type of operation you're running. You'll save yourself and many others a lot of time and effort going that route so stop the charade and have a little self respect.

"Well meaning company, consistent issues"

Former Employee - IS Program Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - IS Program Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, engaging environment. You have freedom in choosing projects. Allow you to grow and develop your skills by actively working. You are able to work with C-level executives early on.

Cons

Company changes its mind on a dime. Recurring issues recur often, are consistently swept under the rug. Software feature planning is very weak. Much of the supporting software infrastructure is outdated and caving in on itself. Hard to move within the company.

Advice to Management

Update the SDLC process. Provide developers with a unified, modern, set of tools. Management needs to lead by example. To often are there case of "do as I say, not as I do."

Oct 20, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

Your experience serves as a great example of the many opportunities available for employees here at AspenTech. We encourage employees to leverage their skills with challenging and interesting ... More

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time

Pros

Good starting benefits and vacation (3 weeks)

Cons

If you want a fun work opportunity with flex time, growth, and freedom to excel...continue your search. You will not get that here at Aspen.

No flex time
    No availability to work from home
    No snow days (use vacation day if you didn't make it in with 2+ feet of snow...)
    Forget day appointments

No perks in terms of that. Mandatory work hours makes it hard to enjoy coming to the office.

2 years at Aspen and not one growth opportunity so don't expect that. With micro managers don't expect to excel and grow on a personal career level.

Company moral is almost non existent and I feel bad for HR as they are trying to increase it, however, I feel most employees could care less about it.

Advice to Management

Bring back flex time, allow work from home on occasional basis, provide snow days when it snows 2+ feet, trust your employees so that micro management can decrease and employees can actually feel accomplished with their work

Oct 20, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

I am sorry that you felt there was no growth opportunity in your role. We support career advancement through internal Career Development Workshops as well as outside resources, such as talks from ... More

"Ok Benefit, but Feel Mistreated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Bedford, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary for recent grads, good job security, nothing else I can think of

Cons

No growth opportunities, micromanagent, don't trust employees.

Expected to drive to work with 12 inch snow. Make you feel bad to ask for leaving a bit earlier for personal issues or take a sick day even though you work overtime all the time.

People keep leaving so you keep taking on more responsibilities yet no promotion or raise. They keep cutting headcount budget every time someone quit.

Take forever to get support from other departments because everyone tells you they are too busy.

You feel upset and hopeless, then everyday becomes torture. No future in this company unless you know how to please the management: express how much you agree with them when they criticize people using a personal day staying home on snowstorm day....

Advice to Management

I used to love my job and my team when I first started. Don't keep upsetting your employees until they become careless about their jobs. Treat them well!

Oct 20, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

We are sorry to hear about your negative work experience. While we believe that working together in an office environment is critical for organizational effectiveness, we also recognize there is a ... More

"They have been trying hard to reduce turnover, but without replacing managers and directors it has been a waste of time."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly coworkers
    Fairly supportive coworkers
    Good pay (initially, getting a raise is a much different story)

Cons

Overly critical management
    Lack of appreciation
    Management offered very little support in the way of advice or resources
    Management often forgot to follow up on projects and then threw employees under the bus
    Management sent inconsistent and often contradictory messages to employees
    Excessive overtime
    Poor employee moral, which became pretty depressing after a while

Advice to Management

Talk is cheap. If you really appreciated your employees you would act like it - reasonable work hours, competitive raises, quality advice for employees, additional resources when required.

Upper management constantly talked about the value of employees improving the employee experience, but at the end of the day it never happened. Either their policies never trickled down or they were really full of it - I suspect the latter.

Oct 20, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback. We are sorry to hear about your felt lack of support. It is important that employees feel supported and heard in their jobs. We promote a culture of resonant leadership ... More