Associated Banc-Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Associated Banc-Corp President, CEO, and Director Philip B. (Phil) Flynn
Philip B. (Phil) Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance and good working environment" (in 18 reviews)

• "great team, good benefits program" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on staffing in individual branch, can run into issues with work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Sales culture and upper management" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best employer in Green Bay"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive benefits
    Progressive company
    Unlimited opportunity for advancement

Cons

None are noted thus far

2. "New career"

Current Employee - Assistant Bank Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Bank Manager

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training, great benefits, paid holidays, paid sick days, your paid if the business is closed due to weather. Very supportive environment. Company empowers their employees.

Cons

Current location is open on weekends. Wish I asked more during hiring process for pay, but did not. Wish I did as they would have worked with me.

3. "Culture"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Mundelein, IL
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Mundelein, IL

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of room for growth and opportunity! Work hard and promotion is there. Growing company that welcomes and actually will feed off feedback.

Cons

Have patience it is a growing company!

4. "ok place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fair, growing company

Cons

leadership lacks communication and makes large strategic or resource changes out of no where without much planning/communication

"Great if you don't want to actually do anything"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the corporate trainee role, you have exceptional access to leadership. The entire time I worked here, I was in regular contact with leaders across departments; there was a concentrated effort to encourage networking both top-down and bottom-up. I also made quite a few friends and developed close working relationships across the company.

Overall, the company is in-tune with the region and understands what its customers need and how they think. This is a relatively uncommon trait, compared to other companies that operate on a larger, national scale.

Cons

I spent the vast majority of my time doing absolutely nothing. That's not an exaggeration. I literally had nothing to do all day for weeks at a time. In the coprorate trainee role, the department you're thrown into for any given rotation has no clue what to do with you, so you end up not doing anything. There isn't even pointless busywork to do. You will just sit at your desk from 8 am until 5 pm and not have done anything. Nothing. You will be bored out of your mind, begging anyone to give you anything to do. Or you will end up being the department's assumed tech support since most of the people you'll be working with have been there since the day they graduated college 25+ years ago and haven't kept up with basic Microsoft Office skills.

I remember one month while I was doing a rotation in Strategy, the only thing I was given as work was completing 3 powerpoint slides for someone's deck. That's all I had to do for the entire month - about 2 hours of actual work. At every turn, I tried developing my own work to keep myself busy, but since the organization moves so slowly, I couldn't even pursue that because everything took ages to be approved. I talked to my manager and every other manager around me about needing something to do or wanting to become more involved in something to keep me busy. About 3-6 months into the job, I just gave up and just decided to look for work elsewhere after the program ended. Somehow, I still ended up with 3 job offers in different departments before leaving - I have no idea how.

While sitting around doing nothing and still getting paid may be ideal for some, it wasn't a great fit for me. Considering the amount of education and experience was required just to apply for the job and the overly intense interview process, this job is an absolute joke. It's ridiculous to go through an 8-hour interview day over the weekend and be prepared to take on intense work as soon as you begin just to realize that your actual job will consist of maybe having the opportunity to update someone's spreadsheet once a week - if you're lucky.

While I can't speak to the experience of other positions in the company, Associated's Corporate Trainee program is an over-hyped internship with even fewer responsibilities than an unpaid intern would assume. If you'd like to spend a couple of years after you graduate doing absolutely nothing day in and day out and still getting paid for it, then this is the gig for you. If you'd like to actually use your education and brain to do something, then look elsewhere.

If you're a woman, I wish you even more luck. You will be talked over in meetings, your ideas will be repeated verbatim by your male colleagues as if they hadn't just come out of your mouth, and the older women in the office will try to keep you down however they can (I'm looking at you, Marketing Department!)

Advice to Management

Don't waste anyone's time, especially those who have just gone through an intense interview process to fight for a job right out of school. They want to work and want to be challenged. If you don't engage them with actual work, you will drive them elsewhere.

6. "Opportunity to move up"

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow

Cons

Benefits are expense particularly medical insurance

7. "Hard sell"

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better training than other Banks. Good resource materials at hand to help with job functions

Cons

Very hard sell atmosphere along with braches that don’t help each other. No two branches do the same for customers.

Advice to Management

Less “ overcoming “ objections and more active listening to customers to find the perfect fit. More consumer friendly products which allow for multiple accounts without huge fee and balances.

8. "Good benefits"

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Consultant

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits - Great culture

Cons

-lacking challenges -promoting from within is not a priority

Advice to Management

-tap into your talent

9. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Personal Banker
    Former Employee - Personal Banker

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, great management, small group of employees which was a plus! Got a long great with all of them. Ongoing trainings to keep up-to-date on new policies and services.

Cons

Longer hours than typica brick and mortar locations having worked inside a grocery store location

"Misleading"

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some great co-workers, benefits, promises that were made sounded wonderful, beautiful locations

Cons

Company ended up being a nothing like they portray themselves to be. The management was cut throat, the HR department was heartless and the promises were never kept.

Advice to Management

Where do I begin???