Associated Regional and University Pathologists "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Associated Regional and University Pathologists Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Apr 18, 2019

3.7
Associated Regional and University Pathologists CEO  Sherrie Perkins, MD, PhD  (no image)
Sherrie Perkins, MD, PhD
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, elitist aloof management(in 10 reviews)

• "There are few training programs for middle and upper management(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great benefits. What other company gives you a free clinic, bonuses that almost always hit the max, and a fantastic pension.

Cons

Steeped in Academic culture. This company should probably be restructured to be more centered around Information Technology, rather than the whims of the medical directorship.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-10-18
  2. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great. Salary are competitive

Cons

The management can be better. Its a never ending construction zone.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2019-04-18

"Medical Technologist"

Pros

Great benefits, bonuses, profit sharing.

Cons

Lower pay than some other local companies

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-10-27
  4. "R&D Technician"

Pros

Education oriented, flexible hours, great benefits

Cons

Horrible tuition reimbursement, cafeteria is too expensive

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-10-17
  5. "Great company with awesome benefits"

Former Employee - Technologist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good management. Great benefits. The clinic onsite is an amazing benefit.

Cons

the growth rate can be challenging.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-09-10

"Beware"

Current Employee - Processing Technician III in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have great benefits here, especially if you stay for five years or more. The free health clinic is a great benefit and has saved me in the passed. The opportunities to learn can be really great.

Cons

The STAT lab is awful. Every other department is pretty great, but for some reason the STAT lab is just horrible to work in. If you expect to be protected by management if anything happens, then you are expecting too much. If they don't like you, they will force you out.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-08-23

"This company isn't for me. Here's why."

Current Employee - Technologist

Pros

Benefits are great (except for educational benefits). Career ladder is multi-faceted. So if you want a non-admin job up the career ladder that is totally possible.

Cons

1) If you are working as a Medical Technologist or Technologist you will do the same 3-6 assays every single day. At first it will seem new and like there is something to be gained, but in reality you can be trained on everything in your lab within a year and mastered most of its content. After this if you want to continue learning you need to switch labs. In other words the job can get mindless. 2) There are lax ethics at ARUP with technologists. They will backdate, use "shortcuts" on runs without validating them, and refuse to do work beyond their benches leading to unequal workloads. This is really unfair for those with families. 3) Management tends to be unresponsive. This depends highly on lab to lab and it is hard to make this generalization. Truth be told though they are regularly not involved in the workflow. So if it increases often times they'll have their employees pulling a good deal of overtime rather than filing for another position. This leads to poor work/life balance. 4) The bonuses are capped. They say that they are trying to incentivize us with these, but it is so rare that we don't hit our cap. It doesn't encourage us to work towards the betterment of ARUP, but instead reminds us that we are underpaid. 5) Pay for a medical technologist is crap here. Every time I've talked with other Medical Technologists they seem to say that they were paid 5$ more an hour elsewhere in Utah. That's about $10,000 a year difference in pay. 6) Career ladder has many approaches to it, but if you get bored hopping from lab to lab it will still take you way too long to hit a specialist position. The shortest I've seen/heard of is 3 years, and the average seems to be around a decade or two worth of experience prior to getting it. Just so you know if you want to advance anywhere in ARUP you really have to be a specialist. Want to be a bioanalytical engineer, automation engineer, lead, etc? Be a specialist for a few years first. So this is a huge limiter as to whether or not you can progress to anywhere in the company. Ultimately it makes you feel like the medical technologist position is a dead end. Things here are based on work done, sure, but primarily it's time served. Work as hard as you can and it will never be the limiting factor, but it will lead to your burnout due to a lack of reward (except the hourly pay). 7) My next thought would be "What about the educational benefits, you can continue to reward yourself with those right?" Educational benefits are mediocre at best. They will do a reimbursement program and will only initiate it in December. If you leave ARUP before the next December you will have to reimburse them for a percentage of what was used. They can't even cover 8 credits at the U of U for upper division undergraduate. Also even if you took the classes in January ARUP wouldn't consider beginning the reimbursement period it until the next December. 8) Week off Week on schedules make it hard to spend time with your spouse if they work. If you are someone who is coming in seeking a categorical then ask yourself a few things. What is it you want out of work? Do you want to learn? Don't be a categorical. Try for the Research Technologist positions instead. If there aren't any available then look elsewhere. There are plenty of R&D jobs out there. Do you want to be recognized fairly immediately for your work and know that pay is based on performance not arbitrary favoritism? R&D again. Maybe look into academia. For Medical Technologists out there, do you want good benefits to support your family and consider yourself done with education? Great ARUP is the place for those benefits. Are you not sure what you want to do and are taking a gap year while maybe taking courses? Not as an ARUP technologist. This place seems to suck the motivation out of its employees to seek anything more. This is entirely based on my personal lessons from ARUP. I hope it was helpful and that ARUP will learn how to better favor employees who want more than mindless work.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-06-04
  8. "Great team values"

Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great benefits, friendly culture and a lot of educational opportunities. Internal opportunities are sent out weekly and there is a lot of flexibility to change laterally at any time.

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunity, management jobs are usually offered openly and they are required to interview all eligible candidates.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-02-22

"Not the highest pay, but the benefits are valuable. I enjoy working here."

Current Employee - Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great benefits, including tuition reimbursement and excellent healthcare. Job security is good and they work with students school scheduling needs.

Cons

Not too high base pay without a degree. Some positions are high stress and some positions have repetitive work. However, changing positions within the company is always possible, to find your best fit.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2017-11-07
  10. "Overall great workplace"

Pros

top of the line research, great culture of innovation, great benefits

Cons

There are none I can think of at the moment

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2017-09-15