Associated Regional and University Pathologists "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Associated Regional and University Pathologists Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Dec 2, 2018

3.7
Associated Regional and University Pathologists CEO  Sherrie Perkins, MD, PhD  (no image)
Sherrie Perkins, MD, PhD
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, elitist aloof management(in 10 reviews)

• "There are few training programs for middle and upper management(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Enjoy my job"

in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Regional and University Pathologists

Pros

ARUP provides diverse job opportunities with a clear career ladder. My time at ARUP has been both challenging and rewarding.

Cons

I have worked at ARUP for just over 6 years. During this time ARUP has undergone some restructuring due to changes in the CEO and upper management.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2015-12-09

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There really aren't any. Stay away from this place.

Cons

Upper management are clueless. Driving the bottom line by eliminating employee benefits, eliminating senior employees. Quality lab work and employee satisfaction are things of the past.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2018-12-03
  3. "Technologist II"

Pros

The benefits are great. My manager is excellent.

Cons

There are few training programs for middle and upper management.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2017-07-31

"Definitely look elsewhere."

I worked at Associated Regional and University Pathologists

Pros

Great 403b package, on site employee heath clinic that is free to you and your dependents.

Cons

I saw a lot of changes for the worse take place during my time at ARUP. When I started we had UTA passes, very generous tuition reimbursement and campus shuttles to and from Trax to the front doors. One by one all of those were taken away and replaced with an extremely poor work environment. Its not really a matter of if but when you will be forced into a 7 days on/7 days off position which, while some people love, was absolute hell for me. You dont acquire PTO, and if your days on fall on holidays or major life events you will be forced to work them. In fact, after approving my wedding day off with one supervisor almost a year in advance I was promptly yelled at by another supervisor that if it were up to her she'd have told me to change my wedding date because "I know when my days off and on are". I had to fight tooth and nail to get a day off for a funeral, or to leave early when I was throwing up all day at work. There is no work/life balance no matter how much the preach to you that there is. Mandatory overtime has been ongoing for years because of their low retention rate, and who can blame people for moving on? There are so many similar jobs in the area that not only pay more, have similar if not better benefits, and are actually compassionate and caring towards their employees outside of work. ARUP will view you as an extremely replaceable machine unless youre in upper-management. Supervisors go missing for days at a time (Im looking at you, training department leads/sups) with little to no explanation and its just supposed to be accepted. If youre hired in Specimen Processing, be prepared to have to adhere to completely different rules and standards than the rest of the company. Ever-changing dress code rules are a big one; right after youve shelled out your own money for whatever the approved shoes are that week theyll change it again and youll have to buy a completely different pair. One supervisor will approve one thing, another will write you up for going against policy. There is absolutely no consistency whatsoever, meanwhile people from other labs are wearing the exact thing youve been told is against supposed OSHA regulations. Ask to see those OSHA guidelines in writing and youll still be waiting on a reply from your boss years later. Rules are made by whoever the biggest fish in the pond is at that time and there is no winning unless youre one of the favorites - in that case you can get away with murder. Im thankful for the amount of experience and skill that I learned in the lab environment, and the friends I made while I was with the company, but there is no amount of money that you could pay me to get me back into the doors of that place.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2016-08-19

"Don't be fooled."

I worked at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time

Pros

I loved learning about the laboratory environment and everything that takes place, as my interests are in the Medical field. They have an online LEAP program for learning and encourage employees to continue learning though videos, books and articles etc.

Cons

The department I worked in did not have a strong management team. The supervisor consistently had "favorites" within the department, that they would let get away with anything. These so called favorites were the ones that were promoted to higher positions which further pushed the management down the drain. Work was piled on to a few people to the point that the turnover is extremely high. While I worked there I seen almost a whole department turnover, with the favorites to spare. HR and upper management constantly say that they are available and want to help improve the working environment but when you have suggestions or complaints of being treated poorly, they brush you aside. Another down fall is the benefits are not as great as everyone says and the pay is quite low for the amount of work and high stress you are put under.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2016-01-26
  6. "Sure is not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The department I work in is very small, but I believe we have one of the most supportive departments in the company, not only to each other, but to the rest of the departments throughout the company. We are constantly challenged with busier workload, but have never turned another department away when they are seeking help with their overwhelming workload.

Cons

Leadership seems to have lost touch with their employees, and even though they have "committed" to fixing it, I have not seen any efforts from the upper management level (up to and including executive management) to this day. They recently had an employee engagement survey, which was eye opening for a lot of the executives, but I have not seen much effort to make themselves known to the peons that dig in the trenches each and every day.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2014-12-01

"ARUP is a great company that takes care of its employees."

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great full time compensation packages including pension contributions, profit sharing, generous days off, and an onsite health clinic that you can see for most non-emergency needs.

Cons

All sick days require use of PTO. Many would argue that upper management does a poor job of evaluating needs and responding to them. No unreasonable cons to working at ARUP.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2014-08-14
  8. "Avoid Entry Level and Life is Great"

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Associated Regional and University Pathologists full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits, free on site health clinic, good work life balance, a place where you can really make a career.

Cons

Healthcare reform is starting to take it's toll. The company is still profitable but upper management is starting to put up some red tape and promotions/new positions are getting approved much slower. The company will always try to sell you on how amazing their benefit package is, and "how much you're ACTUALLY making." Odds are you can find the same job with another company for better pay, until you include benefits. As an entry level person making $10/hr, that hourly wage seems to matter much more, but when you're looking at paying $500 a year for your health insurance versus several thousand with another company, it can easily level out or tip in ARUPs favor.

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2014-06-25

"It started as a great place to work, but has degenerated significantly over the past couple of years."

Senior Medical Technologist

I worked at Associated Regional and University Pathologists

Pros

Opportunities for advancement when you work within their system Continuing education opportunities are plentiful They encourage completing education Commitment to patient safety

Cons

Poor upper management Too much nepotism Growing focus on the bottom line, to the detriment of employees and quality of work

Associated Regional and University Pathologists2011-12-01

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews