Association Member Benefits Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Association Member Benefits Advisors CEO Steve Cardinal
Steve Cardinal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The commission structure is consistent year and after year with unlimited earning potential (in 8 reviews)

• The retired teacher/state association endorsements AMBA has is what sets this company and career apart from others (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Looking up phone numbers of retired teachers is your real job (in 9 reviews)

• The only con with working with AMBA is lack of self discipline (in 9 reviews)

1. "Benefit Advisor"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work five days a week from 8:00am until 5:00pm maybe 6:00pm. Because I am self motivated and can work alone to accomplish my personal goals and my team goals I am able to afford a fantastic lifestyle.

Cons

This is not a position for someone who is easily distracted by personal phone calls and social media. You have to have to be able to spend time learning your products until you are fluent in understanding them.

2. "sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The new CEO Steve Cardinal is a Great guy, sharp, and caring for the staff. AMBA is quite lucky to have him. He will take this company very far in the very near future.

Cons

Certain mid-management people that don't have the time when you ask a 20 second question. They will tell you how busy they are, and blow you off...like you don't matter to them or the company...which I guess you Don't! In time, you will loose good people unless start to show you care about your people, and have/make the time to listen ... do you have 20 seconds - Literally?

Advice to Management

Learn from the Demeanor of CEO Steve Cardinal. He really, sincerely seems to care about COMMUNICATION with his employees.

Association Member Benefits Advisors Response

Aug 2, 2017 – Communications Specialist

I'm extremely sorry that you feel as though you are not being listened to by your managers. I've passed this information along to our CEO. We take this feedback seriously, and it will be used to talk... More

3. "New representative"

Pros

The potential of what this career brings to you is only limited by your work ethic.

Being a sales job, you do not pay for leads and they are endless.

The management of our region is outstanding. Whether someone has a direct relation with you or not they are always willing to help.

The experiences of our senior representatives is such a strong foundation to lean on. It's very reasuring when you need encouragement.

A proven system and sales pitch that is effective.

Cons

The negative aspects of the job come with as I said before your own work ethic.

This is a purely commission based job. If you do not work consistently you may not see the desired results.

The only out of pocket expenses are fuel from travel.

Advice to Management

Not every representatives are the same. Thoughts, concerns, or needs. It is extremely difficult to manage people while they are hours apart. I feel that success in what we do comes from the top down.

"Poor Lead System"

Former Employee - Agency Management in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Agency Management in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great products if you can get in front of someone!

Cons

Lead system is poor! The job came down to "door knocking", which they insisted is not the case. All good leads are given to the veteran agents. If they would tell the truth up front, they could save their time and the time of others.

Advice to Management

Just tell potential agents that 75% of your time will be cold call "door knocking"

"Great Workplace Environment"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Houston, TX

Pros

-You have an unlimited number of leads available, that you do NOT pay for.
    -There is no out of pocket expenses to the avisor, accept fuel. Also training, only
     the first few days.
    -The sky is the limit with income (it really depends on what you put into it)
    -Very good team atmosphere. The trainer, regional VP and district managers are
     all very helpful and willing to step in if another member is away.
    -They have bonuses early on to help you recoup the training expense and keep
     you motivated.

Cons

-As with any commission only job, you have no guarantee of income.
    -Also a majority of team meetings are held about 3.5 hours away, putting me on
     the road 7 hours round trip a minimum of every other week.
    -The caps are very small, but your percentages of premium are high.
    -Bonuses should be tiered out, not for just early on rewards.

Advice to Management

Region should consider alternating meeting locations. Senor management should consider a tiered bonus system, not just to reward new comers. Overall the company culture is great and the local leadership is great.

6. "Wonderful -- if you're interested in being a drone."

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The *allure* of making $1,200 a week was so beautiful. They painted such a wonderful picture. Theoretically, I had made more money in two weeks than I ever have working anywhere. They are always positive and upbeat because they don't want negative vibes, which I madly respect. Two meetings a week to discuss everything, playing games to keep morale high. Promises of amazing bonuses and fantastic rewards. Selling one $70/mo plan yielded roughly $400-$600 commission, depending on the plan.

Cons

- Literally HUNDREDS of phone calls a day
    - Absolutely no guarantee of income (granted, it's 100% commission based, so that's to be understood)
    - Never saw a single paycheck for my work in the short time I was there (maybe an accounting error, I wasn't sure).
    - HOURS of being rejected on the phone
    - *TOO* happy. Being that positive isn't natural; I understand wanting to avoid negativity, but it was borderline creepy. Like they were all in a cult forcing themselves to be joyful.
    - It's said that they do what they do to benefit the people they sell to, but I never got the feeling it was for the retirees, and every one of them had commission breath.
    - Week-long training was a nightmare, and vastly uninformative. Didn't explain hardly anything.
    - Poor sales training, and expected to follow the script word for word. Rebuttals weren't properly taught.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the kids you hire.
    Don't tell them they can expect to make six figures their first year without warning them that they will never have a 100% promised income.
    At the very least, warn them that they will spend hours pouring over lists of retirees who don't care what they're selling.
    Be honest with them: you're hiring them to be insurance salespeople.

7. "AMBA"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do a great job teaching the different policies and how to sell them. They have an almost endless supply of free leads. You will gain experience both over the phone and in-person closing.

Cons

This is a 100% commission position, and all expenses fall on the representative. If you have a vehicle that drinks a lot of gas, this may not be a good idea for you. Also, the commissions are very low by full commission, insurance standards.

8. "Make a difference and make good money!"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Nashville, TN

Pros

I go into schools every day and help teachers with their benefits. The teachers are really receptive and the endorsement in Tennessee provides no barrier, really, to getting into the school. I have made a little higher commissions at other jobs, but the volume of sales and consistency is a fair trade off. My manager took time to train me initially, and goes to school with me every few weeks to help give me (and my sales) a boost. It's a very short presentation and close that AMBA has perfected and they do a good job teaching you how to do it.

Cons

Though it's easy to book schools and you have captive prospects, you still have to sell. Teachers will still tell you "No" and sometimes you are there when they have meetings all day-- no access to clients. Also, the first few months it's hard to make the money I expected. There are advances, but they are pretty small. I'm glad I stuck with it, though, because now I'm finally getting some monthly income.

Advice to Management

I would like more products better suited to young teachers to sell in schools. AMBA has a dozen or so insurances, but they are mostly for retired teachers, which I guess has been the focus for years. Also bigger advances, at least initially, would help me get off the ground. Otherwise, do more of what you are doing!

9. "IN District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fun collaborative company we are all independent contractors but we work and train closely together to support each other. I am here for two reasons uncapped income opportunities and residual income. The Senior Vice President and my my colleagues on the Management team are all very talented and highly driven.

Cons

I need a few more tools to increase work efficiencies, but I am told that it is quickly on the horizon.

"Great Company"

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for this Assiciattion for 5 years. If you can sell, then this is the job for you. It's legit. You have to bust your hump to get appointments but when you do, sell it. Great products. Pay is generous as well.

Cons

Making the calls are not for me.