Association Member Benefits Advisors "retired teachers" Reviews | Glassdoor

Association Member Benefits Advisors Employee Reviews about "retired teachers"

Updated Aug 26, 2019

3.8
Association Member Benefits Advisors CEO Steve Cardinal
Steve Cardinal
Pros
  • "Without them AMBA would not be the company it is(in 32 reviews)

• "When I started with AMBA I was terrified but let me just say, the sales system WORKS(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "That's what my biggest thing was, I didn't want to live in the state I was working with AMBA(in 16 reviews)

• "Looking up phone numbers of retired teachers is your real job(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "retired teachers"

Return to all Reviews

"Work for a Company with Endorsements"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked for AMBA for 3 years. They are the ONLY company endorsed by the Indiana Retired Teachers Association. This endorsement not only helps with setting appointments, but it also allows me to help each member plan a road map for a successful retirement.

Cons

You must be willing to make phone contacts to schedule the appointments. Sharing the fact that we are endorsed by the Indiana Retired Teachers Association makes this task less tedious for sure.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2017-02-17
  2. "This is definitely set up like a MLM"

Former Contractor - Benefits Advisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors for less than a year

Pros

There is potential to make money if you are actually given a good territory and clients that are actually retired school employees.

Cons

Chances are that your manager will have a better area than you Even as a previous teacher, most of these retirees do not want you in their home My manager never once mentioned that the best days to work are Saturdays Even if you get a good territory (zip code), a large portion of your leads are current non-retired teachers or other people that somehow ended up in the TRTA system My first sales presentation was with an older lady with dementia and I never felt more guilty in my life when my manager convinced her to purchase a 10,000 cancer and heart and stroke policy. She had already had a double mastectomy years prior. While it was a great policy, she was a terrible candidate for it. I had called her a month later to do a check in and she clearly had no idea who I was or that she purchased the policy in the first place. It was the most unethical thing I have ever witnessed. This might be the right place for if you are a great salesman and do not have a strong ethics code. Management would say I am only writing this review because I did not make money. However, I was number one in sales in the region and sixth in the country my first week; I just hated the way they treated their "customers." Your commission is coming right out of the teachers retirement income. If you are ok with that, go for it.

Advice to Management

Saying things like "swag money" does not motivate anyone when your manager is younger than you.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2019-08-26

"Insurance broker senior markets"

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time

Pros

Sales training is good for new people starting out in sales.

Cons

Most reputable companies pay like $350-$400 for a Medicare Supplement plan sold. This company pays like $125. Eventually you get burned out making peanuts, and not getting a fair share leaving the residuals to the managers. They do well. Also they basically train you to lie to the retired teachers while making an appointment. You are told to tell them about their new "benefits", and will be in the area to show them all about it. If you like looking up phone numbers all day, and then getting remanded for not making enough calls, this job is for you.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2018-12-23

"Might as well be selling vacuums door to door"

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time

Pros

I genuinely like most of the people working for the company, it could be a wonderful place to work if only some serious changes were made.

Cons

I can't help but feel that I was lied to or at the very least ..purposely mislead. I thought it was odd the man interviewing me didn't bother to ask any specific questions about my resume or skills but brushed it off. I was fine with paying for my study material, test, and license (which came out to about $200) I was even fine with driving to Austin for training and paying an additional $30 fee for whatever reason they gave me. Was told letters would be sent out to retired individuals about these benefits and that IF they expressed interest we would go set appointments with them. Wrong. Most people I met with didn't remember getting a letter regarding any benefits, didn't appreciate having people show up at their homes, and seemed really distrustful of the retired teachers association. Then I got 3 emails letting me know the cost of my hotel (almost $500), the cost of the training class they teach ($200 for 4 days) and an additional $25 dollar fee for God knows what was being added to my commission account. Nobody ever bothered to tell me that part. Add the cost of food and gas to get to training and I'd spent over $1,000 in one month to work for these people.. What? After training ended I was out in the field, driving for hours at a time to people's homes (which I would have been fine with if these had gotten me anything but most of the time the info was incorrect ie. no phone numbers, bad address, people who had already been visited and told us no) I'm coming home almost empty handed and when I do make a sale that money is going to AMBA. Was told there would be no weekly meeting, just a conference call to check in, that changed to mandatory meetings on Mondays in a city almost 3 hours away from me. Can't see how anyone can stick with this long enough to start seeing commissions come in. I was so excited about this position and the potential but after watching my bank account drain and having nothing coming back in I had to quit and return to the company I was with before. So disappointing.

Advice to Management

Stop charging new hires for such ridiculous things. Your training classes should be free. You should notify people that they can expect to be out quite a bit of money before they start to see any profit for themselves.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2016-11-05

"Rip Off"

Solicitor of New Business in Chicago, IL

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors

Pros

The training you get is decent, but you pay for it.

Cons

My commissions per policy almost tripled when I left. They pay the lowest commissions I know of, and when you leave they steal your future commissions that you actually earned.. Looking up phone numbers of retired teachers is your real job. If you have any time left, you call them. Once a week you have to go to a meeting which is a pep rally. Sales practices are deceitful, albeit legal. The managers get the hot leads, you get zero of those. Turnover is unreal, so if you go with them, be aware that your chances of staying are slim , but you might be able to use some of their training techniques in your new endeavor. I have been in insurance and securities sales for 40 years, and this is by far the worst company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Get a life.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2016-09-19

"Hobby, yes. Career, no..."

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

(Texas) If you are a recent college grad living rent/bill-free with your parents, if you have a significant other who is making a high income, or if you have a substantial savings built up and want to be your own boss, and have reliable transportation, this is a viable 1099 position for you. • You set your own hours. • You control work life/home life balance. • 35%, 40% and 60% commissions, based on product sold. • High quality benefit products to offer. • Leads are free.

Cons

(Texas) If you are searching for a full time position with little-to-no back-up plan or support system in place, proceed with caution. Only a few people are in a financial position to do this job and there are a few unwritten rules you will need to learn in order to be successful at AMBA. Beware of the positive endorsements and platitudes on some of the other reviews here, as they are simply sales pitches. • Personal Investment: - You are required to pay for training. - You pay for your insurance licensing. - You pay for fingerprinting and background check. - You pay for the all hotel stays. - You pay your own gas. - Interest on draws - You will be charged interest on "renewals", or residuals. • Low Name Recognition: - The company, and its endorsed associations have very little name recognition within the market. - You must rely on the endorsements of the Texas Retired Teachers Association and the Retired State Employees Association, both of which have very low name recognition and require you to educate potential clients when scheduling or presenting. • No Pre-Authorization For Site Visits: - There is no person or position in place to set up, or keep up-to-date, legitimate authorization for the benefits advisors to do business with the target customers (Schools and State Offices). - You are expected to procure authorization yourself. * Most Managers recommend or press to make an end-around on legitimate authorization and set up appointments at schools or state offices with someone who did not have the authority to do so. You can expect to be asked to leave after it is discovered that you did not follow the proper channels when setting a site visit. It is also possible that the company is then “black-listed” and not ever allowed back. A common office place saying is “It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission”. • Archaic Contact System: - There is no contact management system in place. - You are given a printed list of schools or state offices to contact. The main contact is usually inaccurate on these lists. It is more effective to drive to the location to set up an appointment for a site visit– even if that means driving up to 100+ miles. - Existing customer leads are not up-to-date. Non-working contact numbers, unreliable addresses. Cold calling sometimes works for those 1 in 10 leads with accurate information. • Less time to sell: - You will spend a good amount of your week (at least 1 or 2 days) setting up appointments. - You will normally be required to attend a sales meeting one day a week. • No Internal Incentive for Development or Retention: - The business is set up so that managers continue to receive commissions on the sales of benefits advisors who quit or were fired. - Managers are also selling, so this puts you in a competitive position with your manager for leads, events, contacts and ultimately, sales. - If your sales take a dip, you are on your own – only the most successful are rewarded or receive support. • Favoritism: - Depending on your manager, you will need to become very close or “chummy” in order to get the best trickle-down leads and assignments. - There is a possibility that you will have appointments that you set for visits taken from you and given to someone more "successful" than you. - As stated earlier: If your sales take a dip, you are on your own – only the most successful are rewarded, receive support and communication.

Advice to Management

• Invest in company brand and name recognition. Get your company name out in the market place! This is the difference between a pyramid scheme and a legitimate company. • Hire a person or team of people whose entire function is to keep current and up-to-date relations with your clients. Stop relying on your free labor in the trenches to do this for you. • Set up a legitimate contact management system. This will pay huge dividends in the long term. • Make area and regional managers more responsible for ensuring that their teams have appointments and visits. Also - discontinue Manager vs. Sales Person scenarios. Sales Team success = Manager success. • Improve your retention system so that area and regional managers have more skin in the game. If a benefits advisor leaves the company within the first three years, do not reward your managers with a continuation of received commissions from those who have left. • If you have some reps making inordinately more commissions than other same-tiered reps, find out why. Are leads being passed out fairly? It isn't always due to a rep's self-motivation or sales ability. Is the manager working with reps in the field? How is the manager addressing this? • Stop flooding glass door and "review-shaming" those reviews that don't fall in line with your sales-pitch narratives. It is disingenuous and insulting to readers, and they know the difference. Keep it honest.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2016-04-01

"So SURPRISED at how great I am a this!!!"

District Manager in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors

Pros

Hi! To all those trying to figure out if sales is right for them, especially when it comes to the world of benefits, you stumbled onto the right review. This is my 7th year with the company and I look back to year one and I'm still in awe that this came so naturally to me. AMBA has a system. The system works. I'm a veteran of the company's worksite division and a district manager for most of those years. Coming from no sales experience background I was amazed at how easy it was to learn a 15 minute presentation and be able to start making income immediately. I learn by example and my leaders have done just that. Again, like most, I had a fear of sales and commission but I had tons of people skills. By focusing my efforts on my presentation and utilizing my people skills it was a recipe for success. Working with teachers and state employees on a daily basis to help them make wise financial decisions so they can protect their families has been an honor. So if you're looking for a starting off point in your selling career that doesn't require door knocking or cold calling look no further!

Cons

The only con that I can currently think of is my team needs more people to service the accounts that we have. With endorsements from the Texas Retired Teachers Association and The Retired State Employee Association we just need a few more great advisiors to serve or clients on a yearly basis.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I still get phone calls, text messages, and even facebook messages from clients and past employees saying they appreciate everything we've done to jump start their financial life and sales career!

Association Member Benefits Advisors2015-10-28

"The most unethical company I've erver worked for"

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time

Pros

They put on a really great show to get you signed up to make no money at all

Cons

You basically lie and read a script to retired teachers to work your way into their homes and sell them insurance that they don't need. You spend more money than you actually are going to make.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2015-07-03

"A quality company that has allowed me to build a significant residual income for retirement."

Current Employee - Benefit Advisor Senior Market in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A quality company run by honest, decent people. They offer a well thought out sales system, quality name-brand insurance products, the best prices in the marketplace, exclusive endorsements, and they don't charge me for leads, brochures, and other marketing material. Although I'm a 1099, independent agent, my manager is dedicated to my success and works very hard to support me and keep me positive

Cons

In this job, like most sales jobs, your success is determined by how hard you want to work, and your ability to stay positive and overcome adversity. This job has all the challenges of other sales jobs -- making calls, getting appointments, and dealing with rejection. But unlike other sales jobs, I have the advantage of the Retired Teachers Association endorsement of AMBA and my insurance products. This is a great advantage, a confidence builder and door opener. This is a commission based job that many people see as a negative. But other sales jobs I have had with a salary/bonus type of compensation, there has been a limit on how much I can earn. With AMBA, I have no limit.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same thing -- maintain the great endorsements we have, continually seek new endorsements, and always seek new insurance products to add to our portfolio.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2014-10-17

"Totally Mislead!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible. good products. commission can be good.

Cons

most of the leads they provide are recycled leads-been called on for years- that you have to look up the phone number or go to their house if you can't find a land line to call. Although you are a straight commission sales person they treat you like an employee. They tell you that you are calling on retired teachers but a lot of the list especially the 'new' fresh leads are teachers that are still teaching. they tell you well if they are 55 or older they are still 'eligible' for the benefits. The churn on reps is unbelievable. you have reports to turn in 3 times a week. which seems a bit much to me- maybe once a week would be better. getting applicants approved with the long term care is another challenge. and the cancer I found a lot of the teachers got those from the on school site rep when they were teaching.

Advice to Management

come up with a new 21st century sales strategy. figure out a way to keep your reps instead of running them off. maybe being more upfront with candidates and create a more positive atmosphere-not with smoke and mirrors as you do now- instead of brow beating them when they are self employed. I know companies that micro manage less than this company does.

Association Member Benefits Advisors2014-05-09