Association for Talent Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2019

2.8
Tony Bingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great company culture, no dress code, no micromanaging"

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, lots of opportunities for growth, personal growth is encouraged as well. All you could ask for in a company in terms of culture.

Cons

New hire onboarding is a little bit of a slow process

"Hypocrites!!"

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee Expresso and snack vending machines

Cons

ATD is not a place for honest hard working people! If you want to stick around, you better know how to deal with backstabbers and dirty office politics. Internally, they do not follow what they preach to their clients. No wonder their turnover rate is high; nonetheless, they don't care about employees.

Advice to Management

Its a waste of time !!

"High turnover"

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and relaxed environment

Cons

High turnover rate and little encouragement. Minimum grow opportunity

"Hypocrisy at its finest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are decent: low cost premiums for healthcare, discounted movie tickets, subsidized transit benefits.

Cons

For an association dedicated to training and development, they do a pretty poor job training their employees. I was employed at ATD for only a year, but I felt that I could never grasp the essential responsibilities of my job. There was little oversight from my boss, who was not an effective leader, and could not effectively train me. There was also not a clear pathway for advancement.

People are afraid of Tony, the CEO, because like many of the former disgruntled employees have mentioned, chooses favorites. If you are not upper management, or someone who is in direct contact with him, he has little interest in getting to know you. In all of my years working for various companies, I've never encountered this with a leader. It's appalling, and I'm frankly surprised he's still there.

I really wish I could say I enjoyed my time at ATD, but the best thing that came out of it was my job that came after.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Invest in the people that you hire and make sure they are properly trained. The turnover at ATD is quite high, and people come and go without notice. It's been a few years since I've been employed at ATD, but now that I've moved on from the company, I think future hires need to be made aware of what they're getting themselves into.

"ATD employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

4 years of working at the Association for Talent development

Cons

Working at ATD for four years

"Manager"

Pros

Nice neighborhood, free parking, growing company

Cons

Fakeness, lack of communication, and fear is abundant.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Actually train people.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

I have been with ATD for more than 2 years. Some of the senior leaders are great leaders and we enjoy great quality of life.

In my department I have great worklife balance and our whole team is truly like a family.

I work a fair amount of hours, have great benefits for an Association, and enjoy the flexible 80 work week policy.

Cons

A couple senior leaders seem challenged with the human side of things. Thus, there departments are clearly less happy then the last of us.

Advice to Management

Let's bring ATD into 2018. Get all of the leadership on board with being on one team and using good judgement to create a more positive environment for your team and everyone. (Cough*pubs*cough) Try reading the Five Dysfunctions of a Team and help the unmotivated and occasionally bitter employees move on. Tenure does not make one effective. CEO is a good guy, yet he could consider letting go of outdated points-of-view. He actually said in an all staff that the future of the workforce would return to the office, not remote work. Yikes.

"Learn all you can"

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at ATD for 6 years and during this time I learned a-lot. They treated me with respect and in return I gave them my 100 percent. There were some structural changes during my time but I learned how to adapt and keep going. ATD offers good benefits and competitive pay. If you like to work in fast pace environment, learn new technologies and know how to stay away from workplace politics, you’d like working here.

Cons

Turnover is higher than usual.
    Politics in some departments.

Advice to Management

Provide millennials with more path to grow within the organization. Set annual goals for their growth not just organization’s growth.

"Terrible place"

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time

Pros

Great location. Casual dress code. Wonderful members who are passionate about the industry.

Cons

Where to begin...

This place is run like a dictatorship, with the dear leader elevating incompetents to positions of power because of their blind loyalty to him, and willingness to carry out his directives without challenging them.

He allows these minions to fire good people without cause, and never once asks why these departments have such high turnover. As a result, as others have mentioned on here, there's a serious climate of fear.

The worst part is that for an organization that's built on the idea of learning and development best practices - they implement exactly NONE of them. This place is Exhibit A of what NOT to do when it comes to leadership, employee engagement and professional development. It's only afloat because its members are passionate and dedicated to the industry. ATD exists in spite of itself.

Advice to Management

If a department has exceptionally high turnover over several years, maybe you should look at the common denominators - the people who run those departments. Just a thought.

"Sterile and Lifeless; Trust No one"

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time

Pros

Compensation close to for profits

Cons

sterile, lifeless environment where no one talk to anyone and everyone is out to get everyone else. Trust no one - come in, do your job, and leave. Overall horrible place to work. I had an uneasy feeling every time I come into work and couldn't quite put my finger on it until I realized that behnid the scenes everyone is out to get everyone else and there is zero loyalty or freindship. You know that old maxim, "water cooler chat?" well there isn;t any and make sure you avoid it because there are eyes and ears everywhere.

If this an environment for you, work here. You must drink the cool aid. Chug it, or else they'll know and you'll be out the door. Seen it happy to good people who were good at their jobs. Job proficiency doesn't matter - there's a cancer over this place. Evil.

Advice to Management

you're in a viper den and you know it / contribute to it.