Association of Writers and Writing Programs Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Doing good so far."

Current Employee - Writer in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Writer in Killeen, TX

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

To get your story published one day. Try to make a difference in my writing. Make up my own story to fit the description.

Cons

The spelling is the most important thing. Just don't work without a dictionary. That way everything will turn out right.

Advice to Management

Just try your best to make the most of it.

2. "Writing"

Current Freelancer - Writer in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs (More than 10 years)

Pros

set own schedule
    make money when write well
    meet new people

Cons

critics
    writing takes time
    publisher insists on schedule

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Great community"

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs part-time

Pros

Awesome small group of people, haven't come across any office politics, paid trip to annual AWP conference, nice organization for a writer to be a part of.

Cons

Not the best pay-for-work value, but could be worth it depending on your life situation, future goals, etc.

Advice to Management

You're nice. I like you.

5. "AWP"

Pros

Great place full of creative people.

Cons

Salary just okay. Good learning experience though.

6. "Fantastic"

Pros

-AWP's mission is strong and its employees even stronger:
    -Health and retirement benefits are generous, and even part-time employees qualify for partial tuition waivers.
    -Very flexible hours
    -Generous comp time after the annual conference and a long holiday break
    -Professional advancement opportunities are plenty--you really just need to ask!
    -Supervisors are very hands-off, so it's easy to truly take ownership of your work
    -Free books!

Cons

-Little room for advancement, so turnover is pretty high
    -Pay is low compared to other national nonprofits in the DC area, but actually no worse than other major literary nonprofits in the US (check their 990s and glassdoor reviews to see for yourself)

Advice to Management

-Continue to hire MFA student/grads--they're really your best asset to keep AWP going!

7. "This is a wonderful place to work if you're excited about working in the literary community, but the pay is substandard."

Pros

Exposure to well-known writers, calm work environment, exciting annual conference

Cons

Low pay, little room for promotion

Advice to Management

Increase pay

8. "I like the people I work with and tasks I do; however, poor working facilities and low salary is pushing me away."

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs full-time

Pros

I love my friendly and knowledgeable staff and senior management never micro-manages.

Cons

The salary is below market and geographical location average, and no raises, perks of telecommuting, or ever any positive feedback or recognition are offered to myself or anyone in my department. Also, the facilities we work in are moldy, crowded, and constantly have severe maintenance issues that are making employees sick.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff the amount they deserve and trust them enough to offer flexible work schedules for full time employees so you end the high turnover rate.

9. "membership services review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

meet writers and other publishing professionals at the yearly conference. lots of books available for free and a high level of intellectual conversation among staff members

Cons

pay is low but comparable to other non-profits. living and working in fairfax is a drag but it's nice to receive GMU benefits.

Advice to Management

doing a great job. keep rooting for the little man, the writer, in a world that doesn't much care about us anymore

10. "Hit or Miss"

Pros

Great work/life balance for all employees. A lot of flexibility for your work schedule. Work and hours create little stress.

Cons

The organization offers low pay and very little room for advancement. There is a resistance to change by most employees.

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities to do things they are interested in then reward them when they succeed and make the organization a better place.