Assurant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Colberg

Cons

1. "Assurant...I've finally found the employer I've been looking for."

Current Employee - Quality Improvement Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Improvement Specialist in Kansas City, MO

Pros

They are a great company with an awesome reputation in the business world. We always have great ratings with the stock holders and our revenue has continued to beat everyone's expectations. Not only does this company provide an excellent benefit package but they are always full of unexpected surprises that confirm my acceptance in my job. They really take care of you!

Cons

The only downside is not having the possibility of working remote from home. With the price of gas these days, the appeal of driving into work every day is losing it's momentum. I would love to work from home. Not only to be more "green" but to also reduce traffic on the roads to have that rush hour stress deducted completely from my daily routine. It would make a much happier me and in turn, make our customers much happier.

Advice to Management

Please consider the benefit of working from home. Not only does the company save money by being able to reduce the size needed for workers but it also helps the employees save with the expense of gas and transportation.

2. "Very satisfied employee seeking to see salary ranges"

Pros

Company strength, reputation and friendly work environment

Cons

None - great company to work for

Advice to Management

Meet the staff personally on a more frequent basis. Other than town hall meetings, we never see any of the Company officers.

"Opportunities are available to all employees, but you must take an active role in making them happen."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Open to new ideas
    Open to promotion from within
    International locations
    Low rate of layoffs compared to other Fortune 500 companies during recession
    Telecommute options

Cons

Some negative press about the ESC and Health products

Advice to Management

Open social media sites to employees. Don't be so concerend about negative press - it's out there anyway. Allow employees to take advantage of the benefits that social media has to offer.

5. "Great growth opportunities, if you make the right friends..."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Good compensation for those that can advance, but there is a good ole' boys club you have to join to get there.

Cons

Benefits keep getting reduced each year while the employee work load keeps increasing as Sr Management slashes costs by reducing headcount and cutting benefits, all the while trying to grow the business.

Many businesses are unable to react to market changes in a timely manner due to "paralysis by analysis" mentality and being afraid of their own shadows.

People get rewarded and advanced for sucking up rather than on their abilities, good ole' boys club.

Human Resources is there to cater to and side with management, not the individual employee, never trust HR.

Advice to Management

Find more consumer friendly products that can be praised by consumer advocates. Blur the lines between the 4 existing very isolated business units ( Health, Solutions, Benefits, Specialty). If you bring a fraction of the perks and praise to the operations people as you do the sales & marketing associates you will be in a much better place.

6. "ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Good company and great benefits

Cons

Too much politics, HR is pro management, not pro-employee

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees

7. "A great place to work and learn."

Current Employee - OD Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OD Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This is a continually changing organization, which makes it a place where you are always learning in order to keep up with that change.

Cons

It is an organization with various work locations. Although we overcome the distance with technology and travel, virtual work has some disadvantages.

Advice to Management

The organization will benefit greatly from putting a greater emphasis on understanding how the organization works from the ground up.

8. "Great company, really seems to care about your family"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

High moral caracter of company
    Excellent benefits - My wifes Federal Government insurance coverage and rates were higher
    Well funded

Cons

Not much name recognition outside of health insurance
    A little slow to change

Advice to Management

I was laid off after three years, when the economy slowed. I recieved the same severance as 20 year employees. They should have been treated a little better.

9. "Evolving company with room for growth"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a knowlegable hard worker with a positive attitude, there is room for advancement. Benefits are average to good.

Cons

High management turn over rate, leaving inconsistencies in many departments.

Advice to Management

Employee satisfaction leads to client and customer satisfaction.

10. "Growing Company"

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great organization with a great culture. I am extremely satisfied working for the organization and enthusiasticly recommend them to potential employees. Leadership s very interested in developing talent and driving growth within the organization. Very aggressive organization with regards to signing new clientel.

Cons

The organization is growing so rapidly that employees are often asked to perform work outside scope of job description. The advantage of course is that you get exposed to doing types of work and gain experience in areas that you may not usually be exposed to.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Continue to mentor us and include us in on the growth discussion. We want to be a part of shaping this companies future and are glad to be here.

11. "The Miami Campus is Spacious and Gorgeous"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist I in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back culture. Business casual on a daily basis. Friday everyone can wear jeans and sneakers. The supervisors are nice, friendly and helpful. Your colleagues are down to earth, helpful and friendly. Everyone will embrace the new employees. Most employees have been employed 4+ years. Assurant is one of the very few companies that still offer a pension plan and a plus 401k. The amenities are good. Gym, day care, public school on the grounds and more. You'll have access to this while working in an inbound call center environment, an entry level position. The property is well kept and clean. Grass groomed regularly. Free coffee, and teas provided to your hearts content.

Cons

Salary in on the low side, so you may have to depend on a second salary of some type, however had work does not go unnoticed. There are projects and lots of things going on.
    Training can be somewhat nerve raking, however, the trainers are kind and accommodating.
    The provide plenty of break time and generous lunch hours.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job and I feel you really care about the people who report to you, kudos for that.