Assurant Reviews | Glassdoor

Alan Colberg

1,146 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great work environment and benfits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for almost 13 years and LOVE it here. I've always been treated with the upmost respect and have promoted up to different postions in the company. The place is more like a second home than a job to me. My coworkers are alwasy nice and friendly. The managment staff really goes out of their way to make sure we have a good work enviorment. Right now they are working on improving our break room so that we have a nice place to go and relax during our breaks. They bring food in for us to enjoy and have even recently brought a food truck our site. There is always something fun and exciting going on.

Our benefits are really good with medical, dental and vision all starting from the day you start working, along with the ability to start earning paid time off.

Cons

Some calls can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Assurant...I've finally found the employer I've been looking for."

Current Employee - Quality Improvement Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Improvement Specialist in Kansas City, MO

Pros

They are a great company with an awesome reputation in the business world. We always have great ratings with the stock holders and our revenue has continued to beat everyone's expectations. Not only does this company provide an excellent benefit package but they are always full of unexpected surprises that confirm my acceptance in my job. They really take care of you!

Cons

The only downside is not having the possibility of working remote from home. With the price of gas these days, the appeal of driving into work every day is losing it's momentum. I would love to work from home. Not only to be more "green" but to also reduce traffic on the roads to have that rush hour stress deducted completely from my daily routine. It would make a much happier me and in turn, make our customers much happier.

Advice to Management

Please consider the benefit of working from home. Not only does the company save money by being able to reduce the size needed for workers but it also helps the employees save with the expense of gas and transportation.

3. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Fortune 500 company and member of S&P Index. It is a leader in Individual Insurance market. Being an employee of this company, the emplyee can banace his/her Life & Work. Company offer very good benefits. Leader in local Community service. Company encourages employees to participate health and fitness programs. Company also encourages employees to participate as volunteers in local festivals. Good vacation benefits. Company has always been front runner in implementing latest IT products. Expanding its operations globally. Listed as one of the top IT departments on Information week top 500. Encourages employees to keep their knowledge upt-to-date in their field as well as other areas.

Cons

There is nothing wrong with the company.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can offer at this time.

4. "Excellent employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Excellent leadership, lots of very smart people to learn from. You'll have a very hard time finding a group more knowledgeable of and experienced with individual health insurance.
    Cutting edge technology compared to competitors.
    Compensation was good (coming from someone who regularly got above average annual reviews).

Cons

The location was not desirable for me. Also, they have an appropriate focus on performance. So if the company hits a slow patch and you're not performing as expected or better ... there's a fair chance you'll be shown to the door. This isn't really a downside to me, but if you're expecting a place where you can be a slug and just do the minimum possible this place probably isn't for you.

Advice to Management

I have no advice.

5. "Very satisfied employee seeking to see salary ranges"

Pros

Company strength, reputation and friendly work environment

Cons

None - great company to work for

Advice to Management

Meet the staff personally on a more frequent basis. Other than town hall meetings, we never see any of the Company officers.

"Opportunities are available to all employees, but you must take an active role in making them happen."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Open to new ideas
    Open to promotion from within
    International locations
    Low rate of layoffs compared to other Fortune 500 companies during recession
    Telecommute options

Cons

Some negative press about the ESC and Health products

Advice to Management

Open social media sites to employees. Don't be so concerend about negative press - it's out there anyway. Allow employees to take advantage of the benefits that social media has to offer.

7. "Great growth opportunities, if you make the right friends..."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Good compensation for those that can advance, but there is a good ole' boys club you have to join to get there.

Cons

Benefits keep getting reduced each year while the employee work load keeps increasing as Sr Management slashes costs by reducing headcount and cutting benefits, all the while trying to grow the business.

Many businesses are unable to react to market changes in a timely manner due to "paralysis by analysis" mentality and being afraid of their own shadows.

People get rewarded and advanced for sucking up rather than on their abilities, good ole' boys club.

Human Resources is there to cater to and side with management, not the individual employee, never trust HR.

Advice to Management

Find more consumer friendly products that can be praised by consumer advocates. Blur the lines between the 4 existing very isolated business units ( Health, Solutions, Benefits, Specialty). If you bring a fraction of the perks and praise to the operations people as you do the sales & marketing associates you will be in a much better place.

8. "ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Good company and great benefits

Cons

Too much politics, HR is pro management, not pro-employee

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees

9. "A great place to work and learn."

Current Employee - OD Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OD Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This is a continually changing organization, which makes it a place where you are always learning in order to keep up with that change.

Cons

It is an organization with various work locations. Although we overcome the distance with technology and travel, virtual work has some disadvantages.

Advice to Management

The organization will benefit greatly from putting a greater emphasis on understanding how the organization works from the ground up.

10. "Great company, really seems to care about your family"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

High moral caracter of company
    Excellent benefits - My wifes Federal Government insurance coverage and rates were higher
    Well funded

Cons

Not much name recognition outside of health insurance
    A little slow to change

Advice to Management

I was laid off after three years, when the economy slowed. I recieved the same severance as 20 year employees. They should have been treated a little better.

Showing 1,146 of 1,191 reviews