Assurant Reviews | Glassdoor

1,324 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,324 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility with work from home policy (although seems inconsistent by team)" (in 87 reviews)

• "Schedule/Atmosphere/Activities/Work-life Balance/Location/Clean Facility/Charity Work/Sports/Cafeteria on Site" (in 51 reviews)

"Support Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule/Atmosphere/Activities/Work-life Balance/Location/Clean Facility/Charity Work/Sports/Cafeteria on Site.

Cons

Human Resource Departement/ Management/No qualified Leadership Skills/Micromanagement/Pay.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge those who show up to work with a great attitude, learn how to manage conflict and communicate properly with staff about decisions or opinions in certain areas. One team meeting every 6 months is unacceptable.

"Really more like 3.5 stars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to move up if you work hard. Big enough to move to another department or line of business for better opportunity. Matching 401k and sometimes they deposit extra (when earnings are good).

Cons

Lots of employees have been there forever and are stuck in their ways. Super fast work pace, scrutiny from corporate can make it stressful. Health insurance coverage sucks (although if you are a single person its very cheap).

3. "Lots of opportunities for the right people"

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment and lots of opportunities for the right people

Cons

Not a lot of equal opportunities for projects and promotions

4. "Account Executive"

I worked at Assurant (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company overall to work for, great pay scale.

Cons

It's a who knows who environment, so a lot of people being overlooked; the loyalty for those you know should not keep a person in a job if they're not qualified for.

Advice to Management

Put the right people in the right jobs.

5. "Not a good place to work"

I worked at Assurant full-time

Pros

Nice and clean offices to work in.

Cons

Poor management
    Poor pay
    No room to grow or advance

6. "Under paid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. Going downhill fast. The building has AC.

Cons

Poor management who will overwork you and pay well below market. If the work is not done then you risk losing your job but they will not allow overtime.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who care. Atlanta Lender placed management does not care about their associates they just want to look good in front of clients.

7. "Aggressive company with a realistic goals."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Assurant full-time

Pros

Good worklife balance and flexible schedules.

Cons

Management may not be very transparent. Management sometimes uses profanity in the workplace and in meetings.

"Conservative, silo organization, slashing benefits every year, employees terrified of being laid off"

I have been working at Assurant full-time

Pros

There are a lot of jobs available and it's a paycheck (although I wanted it to be much more than "just a paycheck"

Cons

- Moved HQ offshore this year, acquired/bought The Warranty Group (thereby doubling their size and profits) and received the highest tax cuts since the Reagan administration, but still cut benefits - severely.

- Terrible benefits although the human resources department "sells" it to the employees that the benefits are great and "Assurant Cares" (also no vision, and of the 3 health plans they offer, 2 have such a high deductible that they qualify for a government Health Savings Account. The coinsurance is also so high that even though I paid for the gold (or blue) plan, I never went to the doctor because the coinsurance was so incredibly high anyway.

- Slashed benefits each year. After 2 year's employment, because of these cuts, I make substantially less now than I did when I started (most employees don't understand their benefits though and this goes unnoticed for most people and so Assurant continues to cut). This added up to a loss for me of $300+ per month because of increased co-insurance, plan costs, and drug costs. I then received a $20/month raise for the year although I was rated as a star employee.

- Incredibly conservative - my boss talked about how president Trump is winning *literally* almost every day. My boss's boss talked about this too and my boss's boss's boss brought this as well. Women were required to wear pantyhose at one point. Fox News plays in the cafeteria 24/7. The conservative culture permeates well beyond this too in that it impacts the very approach to the work that most employees take

- Departments work in incredibly closed off silos where employees compete against each other for the work, withhold information, don't share tips, and talk very badly about each other. This occurs even within the same departments. There is the company line of team work (just like "Assurant Cares") and then there is the reality. When I would make a spreadsheet that'd help another department to more effectively work with my department, I was advised on multiple occasions by management NOT to share the information. Management was afraid the other department would "steal" our work and we'd be laid off eventually.

- Terribly hierarchical with managers and supervisors being promoted to manage one single person....insane...they literally only manage one single person which is terribly counterproductive to growth, team work, and the exchange of information (but perhaps that's the point?). Raises are very limited too so these promotions were the only way to really reward an employee. Any time I saw an issue though, it had to go through my boss (who only managed me), to his boss (who only managed 4 people), to his boss (who only managed 4 other bosses) to his boss....and yeah, all, but 2 of the many, many bosses were women (even though it's a female dominated work position).

- Everyone "CYA"'s all the time (cover your butt) because of how the organization's culture consistently looks to blame and condemn the slightest mistakes. Not even the smallest decisions could be made without coworkers requesting, "Could you email that all to me so I have it in writing for my records".

- Decent PTO, but I was afraid to use it. Whenever I took vacation, I got such push back from management and subtle messages that I didn't want to take my PTO for fear of how it'd impact my reputation even though I'd give 2 months notice and wouldn't take more than 4-5 days at a time

- Working through lunch breaks, or taking 2 hour lunches, is rule of thumb. I met very few employees who'd take just an hour. Most would work at their desk while eating (every day), or they'd take 2 hours and protest they would never eat their lunch at their desk

- This place barley functions; it's a miracle they're still above water (mostly to all of the other company buyouts).

Advice to Management

If your goal is to end up with a mediocre, passive workforce, continue as is. The employees who stay will be the ones who believe the corporate HR/PR messages and passively go to work 9-5 without looking to innovate or go above and beyond.

If you want individuals with growth mindsets, passion for improvement and innovative problem solving - fire all of your HR department, slash,75% of your middle management, and especially as an insurance company, compensate your employees so they can, at the VERY least, afford to go to the doctor.

9. "Bad"

Former Employee - Intern in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, and not busy work

Cons

Awful mentorship and sat doing nothing for 3 weeks

Advice to Management

Have a plan for new workers

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great family feel!

Cons

Difficult to move up within the organization.

Showing 1,324 of 1,383 reviews