Assurant Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Assurant Senior Software Engineer Reviews

Found 8 reviews

2.2
Alan Colberg
Pros
  • "Flexibility with work from home policy (although seems inconsistent by team)(in 92 reviews)

• "Schedule/Atmosphere/Activities/Work-life Balance/Location/Clean Facility/Charity Work/Sports/Cafeteria on Site(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work-life balance depending on the manager(in 27 reviews)

• "Health insurance coverage sucks (although if you are a single person its very cheap)(in 39 reviews)

1. Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Opportunity to grow and move within the company. Competitive market-based salary and benefits.

Cons

Due to decisions both externally and internally, the company is going to close. Health insurance is not a growth market in today's environment.

Code Monkey

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Assurant for more than a year

Pros

Can't think of any.

Cons

Moving jobs offshore. tribal knowledge. They expect you to know their system from day one. title to none documentation.

Some OK teams, stay clear of management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant

Pros

Some software development teams are quite exceptional in their experience. Some top-notch people.

Cons

Lots of positions are filled by people not so qualified for their position, especially in a business or management. Vision is not clear, clarity of work is not clear, lots of nonsense work that is misguided.

Focus on stock and shareholders

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Near to my home. Near to my home. Near to my home. Near to my home. Near to my home. Near to my home. I lost hope. Looking for something else.

Cons

A company focused strictly in money for Directors, VP's and shareholders and nothing for employees. In the last 8 years they changed CIO and CEO so many times that I lost count and the mentality still the same. In order to keep minimum expenses they outsource entire departments including Production maintenance and defect fix, which becomes a nightmare since the developers do whatever they want without supervision....

5. Good Company, good benefits and nice co-workers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant

Pros

Worked in Miami Campus. Nice environment with some great colleagues. They have flex hours and very relaxed environment.

Cons

Upper management is not that bright and visionary. Product management system is really poor and there were some unnecessary loss projects going on and continuously got funding because those were the pet projects of some VP's.

Advice to Management

Please put some experienced, bright, proper educated and visionary people in the key decision making position. Also, product development and management life cycle needs to be a lot improved.

6. Terrible management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work. Strict timings. Good working environment. Small team, mostly inexperienced.

Cons

No specific managing plan. Horrible reviews. Terrifying Korean speaking managers.

It's all about politics and who you know

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Most coworkers are very nice to work with. Nice life/work balance. Flexible HR policies.

Cons

Worked there for over 10 years. Poor training & employee growth; once you hit a certain level you reach a "glass ceiling" depending on who you know and whose shoulders you're rubbing, which creates a back-stabbing culture among coworkers with the same goals. You do an adequate job and you get rewarded, you do a good/great job, and you get taxed with more work/responsibility and no promotion.

Advice to Management

Don't dangle the "promotion" carrot to your employees, unless you have a clear career advancement path. Don't say the company is not about politics and "circle of friends" when it clearly is.

8. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great people to work with, smart and motivated team with good business knowledge. Good work-life balance, good pay. There are opportunities to grow within the company but it is not easy.

Cons

Its hard to start using new technologies and tools. Changes on priorities from one day to another makes it hard to focus and finish tasks.

Advice to Management

Stop shifting the priorities from one to another. Keep key people that have good business and technical knowledge.

Found 8 reviews