Assurant Reviews in Springfield, OH | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and good pay for overtime

Cons

It was hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

Promote more from within the company

2. "Not enough pay, too much work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits are offered to you

Cons

too much work, not enough pay

Advice to Management

pay your employees more

3. "Disappointment and heartbroken"

Former Employee - Claims Processor in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Claims Processor in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought I had found a company to make a career with

Cons

I was wrong. Without saying too much about myself, I had a difficult childhood and made 2 misdemeanor mistakes NOT FELONY. I worked for them for 6 months and was becoming hired employee. I was asked if convicted of Felony my answer was no. They did a background check and questioned them, I gave full statement and honest answers about what happened 15 years ago and yet they walked me out. Single Mom taking care of her kids have done nothing wrong since. I thought they were a good company but I found they are ruthless and expect someone with a perfect past.

Advice to Management

I received nothing but good reviews and told by management how they wanted to me to be a part of the team but instead your corporate management wants to judge something I did 15 years ago as a teen and use it against me. I am sure if you looked in your own backyard at other employees you would find worst than a misdemeanor less than 100. 15 years ago to fire someone over.

4. "Customer Care Specialist II"

Former Employee - Ccs II in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Ccs II in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with.

Cons

Management and pay are lacking.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people and not just a number

5. "Friendly, Helpful Environment"

Current Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Assurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky like me, you'll have a wonderful unit manager, team lead, and senior specialist who are always available to talk if you have questions or concerns. It never feels awkward asking for help from any of them, and my manager always keeps me informed of anything I've asked her about previously.

There are plenty of chances to learn something new. When I started in Feburary I was only working follow up claims but have since learned how to work several different other queues and am currently in charge of the GAP report for my team which is exciting.

It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere in my department. The workflow is pretty easy and very rarely do I have to deal with escalated customers. As long as you pay attention and make the people on the other end of the phone feel like they're human beings, it's a relatively stress-free time.

The days usually go by pretty fast.

Upper management are very outgoing and approachable.

The break rooms are fabulous! There's a cafeteria in the main building with a rotating menu of items to choose from, and then in the two other buildings there are (usually) fully stocked fridges with meals for breakfast and lunch, a variety of snacks, plenty of beverage options, a water and ice machine, a coffee machine with decaff and regular coffee, and even a fancy coffee maker with a variety of different k-cups for coffee, tea, or hot chocolate!

Cons

Sometimes the workload can be a bit stressful, especially if there is a high volume of escalated calls.

Sometimes it feels like people in other departments don't pay attention to the notes when reviewing a claim, or will ignore proper procedures. The most frustrating part however is when someone will work a call for a claim and put extremely limited details in the notes they leave so it leaves you guessing what actually happened or what the customer was advised.

Advice to Management

Have employees pay closer attention to claim notes and advise they at least try to leave more details when logging calls.

6. ""The beatings will continue until morale improves" is management philosophy"

Former Employee - Loss Daft Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Loss Daft Specialist in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice amount of paid time off
    Office is nicely maintained

Cons

PAY IS AWFUL; YEARLY RAISES ARE 25 CENTS AN HOUR INCREASES
    Time off can only be used when scheduled in advance - you can almost never call in sick
    Employees are just interchangeable cogs in the wheel, not valued team members
    LOTS of pressure to reach UNREALISTIC quality standards and quotas
    Employees required to work mandatory overtime on evenings and weekends, often without any advance warning

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people like human beings

"Misleading"

Current Employee - Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your looking to step up your resume its good for that and has many different departments to transfer to within the company due to its large size. You can also wear jeans on fridays or purchase the right to wear them all month long.

Cons

I dont mind doing overtime once in a while but when its mandatory for 10 out 12 months then be upfront about during the interview. Work weeks were typically 49 to 55 hours a week. If your also not meeting a %98 accurate and processing documents like crazy then your a bad worker. Just make two to three errors in the whole month and your below expectations. Last but not least is the salary, its okay but nothing you can live off of. You can work for them a few years in a row and not get a single raise.

Advice to Management

Have realistic expectations and also give raises to your employees that work 49 to 55 hours a week. Cost of living goes up every year, a raise every few years would encourage the staff to go the extra mile more often and have them stay with the company. Also be upfront in interviews dont pretend that jobs are 8 to 5 (with one hour lunch) when in reality they are 7 to 5:30 (with 30 minute lunches)

"Great for entry level professionals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

Pros

Vacation, 401k, Tuition Reimbursement, Holiday Bonus, merit salary annual imcrease, work from home oppurtunites

Cons

Very biased. All in who you know and not what you know. Company is outsourcing a lot of work overseas

"Not for everybody."

Former Employee - Status Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Status Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH

Pros

Decent pay, 14 PTO from day one (prorated if after Jan 1), easy work.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. No vision. Horrible leadership in multiple departments. Tenure expectations for promotions even if more than capable and qualified. PTO has to be used if you need a day off. Horrendous training programs with no opportunity to know what you have been doing wrong before your performance becomes a factor for new hires/transfers.

Advice to Management

Stop treating each employee as if they develop at the same pace. High turnover say "what"!

10. "Senior Loss Drafts Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Loss Drafts Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Loss Drafts Specialist in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation and PTO, Decent wages

Cons

Promotions are given to friends of management as opposed to those far more qualified with better evaluations, very poor insurance

Advice to Management

Hire and promote based on merit.

Showing 52 of 1,217 reviews