Assurant Reviews in Springfield, OH | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Colberg

Pros
Cons
  • No work-life balance is a negative (in 16 reviews)

• It's a foreign branch of a US based company, small size company, not much room for advancement (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great for entry level professionals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

Pros

Vacation, 401k, Tuition Reimbursement, Holiday Bonus, merit salary annual imcrease, work from home oppurtunites

Cons

Very biased. All in who you know and not what you know. Company is outsourcing a lot of work overseas

2. "Misleading"

Current Employee - Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your looking to step up your resume its good for that and has many different departments to transfer to within the company due to its large size. You can also wear jeans on fridays or purchase the right to wear them all month long.

Cons

I dont mind doing overtime once in a while but when its mandatory for 10 out 12 months then be upfront about during the interview. Work weeks were typically 49 to 55 hours a week. If your also not meeting a %98 accurate and processing documents like crazy then your a bad worker. Just make two to three errors in the whole month and your below expectations. Last but not least is the salary, its okay but nothing you can live off of. You can work for them a few years in a row and not get a single raise.

Advice to Management

Have realistic expectations and also give raises to your employees that work 49 to 55 hours a week. Cost of living goes up every year, a raise every few years would encourage the staff to go the extra mile more often and have them stay with the company. Also be upfront in interviews dont pretend that jobs are 8 to 5 (with one hour lunch) when in reality they are 7 to 5:30 (with 30 minute lunches)

"Not for everybody."

Former Employee - Status Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Status Processing Specialist in Springfield, OH

Pros

Decent pay, 14 PTO from day one (prorated if after Jan 1), easy work.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. No vision. Horrible leadership in multiple departments. Tenure expectations for promotions even if more than capable and qualified. PTO has to be used if you need a day off. Horrendous training programs with no opportunity to know what you have been doing wrong before your performance becomes a factor for new hires/transfers.

Advice to Management

Stop treating each employee as if they develop at the same pace. High turnover say "what"!

5. "Decent company in a poor location."

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation time and 401k Match are good, culture is good. Facilities are very nice and it looks great. Solar panels provide much of the energy so the company is fairly responsible. The employees here are wonderful productive people.

Cons

Top heavy with many VPs, Mediocre health benefits, 3% raise budget since economic collapse, always leaning out processes, poor pay increases for internal promotions, fairly stuffy atmosphere with no shorts. The company just froze the pension.

Advice to Management

We don't work with the public so I'm not sure why the dress code doesn't allow shorts. Getting rid of the pension was a huge blow. The pay raises need to be bumped up to at least 4% per unit. People who have worked here for a long time need to be making more than others hired off streets.

6. "Okay to start, got burnt out quickly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, people typically are pleasant to work with.

Cons

Stress, changes of management, felt as though you were a child asking permission for everything that needed to be done. Very frustrating and this caused a lot of escalated callers. Raise qualifications changed and only got maybe a .10 cent raise in almost 3 years.

Advice to Management

Follow through, pay attention to your employees, having feedback and a periodic meeting would be beneficial. Work on the pay raise process, if you show up to work and do your job, you should be entitled to a raise at the end of every year.

7. "Great but rarely promoted anyone"

Former Employee - Hazard Insurance Processor II in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Hazard Insurance Processor II in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, when I left I had over 4 weeks of vacation a year which was nice. I got to work from home as a hazard insurance processor for Open Items and that was great. The company helped me earn my MBA too.

Cons

Difficult to advance. I left after working at this company for almost 6 years because there were too few opportunities to advance. My manager never promoted anyone on my team in the 4 years that I worked for him. I ultimately left the company to pursue my career in HR because those opportunities were very rarely available at Assurant.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due. Promote your hard workers or at least help them to develop their career into higher positions.

8. "Industrious and Satisfying Place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time

Pros

The company business stays alert and flexible to economic changes, is very industrious at customer service, and is a well-rounded industry leader.

Cons

Locations for major corporate offices could be closer proximity, never-the-less, good communications holds across the distances.

9. "Loss Drafts"

Current Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Springfield, OH

Pros

Great group of people that I worked with, guaranteed overtime if wanted, great manager at first

Cons

Had a new manager come in and take over which bumped our manager to another dept and things went down hill......the entire team left or went elsewhere within the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop protecting managers that very obviously do not deserve to hold a position within the company.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Assurant full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for. The benefits are great

Cons

Company has been down sizing.

Advice to Management

Managers need to communicate.

11. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Managerial Staff. Good food.

Cons

lay offs in certain areas