Assurity Life Insurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas E. Henning

1. "Strong innovative company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mutual company
    State of the art facility
    Good people
    Great benefits
    Big into innovation and future focuses
    Big into employee wellness.

Cons

Some rules a little "old school" and conservative very operations driven and sometime too rigid which can be difficult for sales team.

Advice to Management

Need to look at some of your rules --show more trust to employees. Will also help attract and keep millennials

"Wellness or DIE .... UPDATED"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've updated my review of Assurity, because they've recently (2016) changed things, primarily because of the top 3 PROS listed below.

* Assurity now reduced the amount of wellness harassment sent to employees!
    * Assurity now allows casual shirt and jeans dress code!
    * Assurity no longer requires most salaried associates to clock-in/out every day any more!

* Great facilities, new building, new chairs, and sweet fully adjustable desks.
    * Inside cafeteria & ability to pay with badge
    * Free Garage Parking
    * Vending machines and kitchenettes on every floor.
    * Pay with your phone Vending Machines.
    * Pay/salary is average. Not good, nor bad.

Cons

* Medical coverage costs/premiums are based on how healthy you are. Not many employers in Lincoln do this, and it is an awful way to treat employees. Medical coverage premiums and out-of-pocket expenses are outrageous - even Assurity's high deductible premiums are oddly expensive. They do NOT compare to other local companies at all. There ARE better alternatives. Assurity cheats their own employees in this area. Why would Assurity think they are an employer of choice in Lincoln at all?

* Assurity is a "Wellness or Else" company and you can't unsubscribe from the Wellness nonsense. Although they have noticibly reduced the amount of it.

* They force every employee to go to 2-hour quarterly company meetings. #OldSchool They also force every employee to attend sales training, even if you have absolutely nothing to do with sales. #TimeWaste

* Traditional employee surveys never ask the right questions. You get MUCH better feedback from websites like Glassdoor - where associates are truly free to tell you what is good/bad without ramifications.

* Some basement level bathrooms actually have signage that effectively says "only employees on this floor should use this bathroom". Assurity needs to be watchful for these kinds of things, before gaining a reputation of being an employer who actually tells employees which bathrooms they can/cannot use in a building. Is Assurity this rigid? #RIDICULOUS

Advice to Management

* Listen. Don't ignore everyone's "rants". There is some truth in them. Never wonder why you're not "better" if you don't fix these issues. You won't be.
    * Lower employee medical premiums - really compare with yourself with other local companies. You don't compete.
    * Allow me to unsubscribe to Wellness or something. It's borderline harassment at times.
    * Subsidize employee lunches more - it's still pretty expensive. Little things count.
    * Take down all the pretentious bathroom signage. Restricted bathroom usage? Really?!
    * Top Talent and High Achievers will find you on Glassdoor. It matters. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

3. "Work History"

Current Employee - Client Services Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Client Services Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company (More than a year)

Pros

Green building, great company to work for.

Cons

No cons, great company to work for.

4. "Friendly"

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very family style , friendly. Low stress environment

Cons

Not as results driven as I would have preferred

"Feels like kindergarten."

Current Employee - Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new building is nice other than the elevators which do not always function properly. The security guards are nice. It's nice to park for free in the parking garage. Building and grounds guy, Rex, is awesome and hilarious.

Cons

Very poor selection of and communication (both in level of skill of communication and effort made to communicate) by supervisors and management. Associates are not trusted to eat foods at their desks that are warm or require utensils, but eating donuts and cupcakes with your hands is ok, which probably attributes to the lack of use of the high-tech standing desks that remain in the seated position. Open door policy is poorly executed if followed at all.

Advice to Management

If you want adults to do quality work for you, then trust and treat your associates as adults who do quality work. Also, you need to update the dress code and move to casual dress as other companies in the industry have done. The studies that were done showing that people work better when they're dressed up are outdated. Cater to the generation that you want/is working for you.

"Great building, middle school rules"

Current Employee - Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific new $50+ million dollar building. Great new 135 degree angle workspaces with desk that can be raised and lowered so that you can stand and work. Work chairs that retail for over $1000. Windows on every floor.

Cons

Can eat at your desk. No breaks other than lunch. Occassional manditory overtime

Advice to Management

Interact with employees and visit work spaces on a more frequent basis.

"I had a good time...until I was promoted."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

The culture is good. It comes off as a good old fashioned small company. The products and resources are good and management, for the most part, care about the work you do and acknowledge a job well done.

Cons

Its a mixed bad bag with management. Depending on the department you work in, your manager could be your best friend or something out of a horror movie. I went from having one of the best managers I've ever had, and excelling in my position, to being promoted to a new position where my manager was one of the worst communicators I've ever been around. People within the department were terrified and I found it impossible to even learn the position as I was constantly intimidated and feared making a mistake.

Advice to Management

HR should really be more involved with protecting their employees from poor management or "bully bosses." A vast majority of the company seems to know who these "bad bosses are," including upper management, yet HR turns a blind eye.

If my former manager would have been my new manager, I would still be working for Assurity and excelling in the position I was promoted to. Feeling intimidated on a daily basis and afraid to make a mistake makes it impossible for anyone to learn a new position or excel as an employee.

"Just another company trying to be the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

They merged with Security Financial Life

Cons

Security Financial Life had to merge with a poorly run company

Advice to Management

quit

9. "Great company"

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Assurity is a great company to work for. The wages are competitive and the benefits are great. They are located in a beautiful LEED-certified building downtown, with free parking.

Cons

They have a non-smoking campus.

10. "great insurance company"

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time

Pros

strong benefits, family oriented, trying to be flexible, casual business attire, nice wellness program, full cafeteria onsite.

Cons

Going through a lot of changes that aren't clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who have been there, through thick and thin. Their experience is priceless.