Asteelflash Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Dynamic Contract Manufacturing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best environment if you're willing to learn a lot and do more what you're entitled to.
    New General Manager since 2014 has reorganized the AMERICAS region and it is going well.
    Ability to learn a lot in a tough and competitive industry

Cons

Could improve on HR Development plan and Team Building

Advice to Management

Important changes do not happen overnight. The company is in a much better position and spirit since 2 years now and it should keep going. Should improve HR Development plan and Key employees retention to insure success on the long term.

2. "N/A"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Morrisville, NC

Pros

I was able to learn different aspect of the manufacturing industry like programming, packaging, quality assurance, and shipping of electronic equipment.

Cons

The company is not an employee friendly company. The managers old managerial concepts and would not seek employees opinions on how their jobs would change when the company made changes in a process.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who are hand on with the material and production process. By doi by the job over and over, employees can provide helpful information on how to make these changes that will benefit both the company and employee.

3. "Contract Manufacturer to Avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

"Some" good people to work with. Mediocre benefits.

Cons

The company doesn't care about employees; only their bottom-line cost-benefit.
    Cares only enough about current customers to keep their business.
    No advancement possibilities.
    Pay below average for industry.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee AND customer satisfaction

5. "It was a paycheck"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Fremont, CA

I worked at Asteelflash (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck
    Employees and peers were nice to work with

Cons

typical CM
    HR was rude and condescending
    Management would not support you
    Sweatshop mentality
    Benefit were very expensive for family

Advice to Management

None. I am glad I am not there anymore.

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash full-time

Pros

Asteelflash is a good company, headed in a good direction. Management has been improving benefits recently. Pretty collaborative work environment.

Cons

Sometimes need to work long hours to get the job done, but that 's typical, as the business is somewhat cyclical.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the positive direction, and thanks for listening to the employees needs!

7. "Asteelflash Culture and Morale is improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

-Good management team for over a year compared to before.
    -Nice, friendly team of people to work with.
    -People are happy to work here again as leaders understand US and Silicon Valley culture.

Cons

-Benefits can still be better, even though improved some.

Advice to Management

-Make sure to hire management team with same values and goals.
    -Don't forget about your senior employees that have been through good and bad times.
    -Remind customers that price decrease hurts our company, employees and their families. More work, more volume, lower price does not work well in Silicon Valley!

8. "Tough industry, poor management (when I was there), some poor performers in key positions"

Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Asteelflash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of nice and hard-working employees when I worked there. This used to be Flash Electronics (Chinese-owned) and was acquired by Asteel (French). I hope the new GM that took over in 2013 is able to steer the company toward the right path. I would like to see the company succeed.

Cons

Most of the program managers and engineers were either inexperienced or unmotivated. Team building was non-existent. However, probably due to poor compensation package, attracting high-performers were/is difficult.
    The company is in a very competitive business with very little differentiation from other CMs providing the same service.

Advice to Management

By 2013, the company did the right thing by changing the GM. The prior GM was not much of a visionary and managed almost by threats and force, which probably resulted in his dismissal.

Invest in quality employees in key positions. Train HR to screen for better applicants.

9. "Rule by Fear is their modus operandi"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to have a family culture where everyone was close. Over the years, management changed and so did the culture. There's not any pros that I can think of.

Cons

It was definitely a pressure cooker type environment. Very stressful, people were publicly put down in front of others... LOUDLY. Long hours and consistently changing direction from upper management which makes it impossible to succeed. This is driving many people to flee the company.

Advice to Management

Give more respect to your employees, offer more support and push to help grow your employees. This will ultimately make for a happier work environment, better support to our customers and more opportunities for pulling in more business. My hope is that senior management can help push this effort.

10. "Negative.An intense pressure-cooker enviroment, Non-empathetic top mgt. Did not care for American workers."

Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Asteelflash full-time

Pros

None at this stage of their development, Their aquisistion by Asteelflash France in 2012, was not succesful, did deliver positive results for bottom line nor workplace satisfaction for the employees.

Cons

Pay is low in almost every categorty except the very top senior level management. Operators and salaried staff leave constantly for better jobs and better benefits. Or the employees are dismissed because the PTO policy is so poor, they accrue attendance points. The level of employee satisfaction is very low, and there are no advocates left for the employees. The People side of Lean Manufacturing is only to monitor the metrics of their production and has nothing to do with their motivational factors and hierarchy of needs (Maslow)

Advice to Management

Your Values are written only for the satisfaction of executive management to point that they have a values and vision statement. They are not lived by the top mgt, which does not understand that relevant values programs is is always modeled from the top down, never bottom up. I was embarrassed when I saw the Values poster go up as I know they were not lived by mgt. nor were line and salaried employees empowered to implement them.

11. "should provide better benefits to employees"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Fremont, CA

I worked at Asteelflash full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a nice place to work until re-organization...

Cons

should provide better benefits to employees

Advice to Management

should provide better benefits to employees