Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people to work with - nice to be around driven like minded people" (in 6 reviews)

• "Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance in some teams isn't great" (in 13 reviews)

• "Long hours, sales or recruiting option" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Awesome!!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Accountant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Everyone was very accommodating and easy to work with. They kept me involved at every step.

Cons

Holiday and sick pay should be added to the salary benefits.

2. "Technical Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, opportunity for commission, sales

Cons

Long hours, sales or recruiting option.

"Staff Accountant"

Pros

Contract process went very smoothly.

Cons

They did not know the issues before I was placed, quick turnover several times in same position from office politics. Former employees were extremely unhappy in the role.

Advice to Management

Be honest and do your due diligence, it is not always about putting a body in a job.

4. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training. Good first step for someone looking to be career agency recruiter.

Cons

Lack of quality feedback or knowlege

"Make sure you get paid for sick time - Find a better Agency!"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very hard to find any pros here. I only went through AC because my friend had a 4 month assignment for me and this is the company they used. They will give you a big book of benefits, but they don't mention that in Massachusetts you actually accrue sick time, which is the only benefit most people will want/use.

Cons

This company does not operate within normal ethical standards. I found out that I was owed 2 days of sick time and they did not want to pay me. I ended up taking only 1 day before my assignment ended on March 13th. It is now April 13t and I sill have not been paid. Also, they pay you your last pay check on a debit card? What company operates this way. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General of MA and hope to hear back soon. I hope they do an audit of them because I'm sure there are plenty of other people like me that were never told of accrued sick time. This company should not be allowed to operate in MA.

Advice to Management

Pay your contractors what you owe them!

6. "Great for development-high stress"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Portland, OR

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Team
    Feedback Rich
    Space for Learning and development
    Room for Growth

Cons

Competitive and high paced. This environment isnt for everyone. Long hours and you get out what you put in.

"Senior consultant"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

good money - sometimes.
    good people

Cons

work like balance is rubbish compared to other recruitment jobs. I work at another firm now, for more money for half the stress.
    Poor training

Advice to Management

might be worth reading "the laws of diminishing returns".

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, excellent structure and they really do set you up for success.

Cons

Hours are long, you don't have to work 50+ hours but if you want to be successful you do have to put in the time to build your territory and business.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with under-performers to help them get on the right foot.

"My experience as a Technical Recruiter for almost 3 years."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Professional development is some of the best I have seen.

-Strong company culture - If you're not the type to sip the company kool-aid, then this can definitely be a con.

-Great place to build foundational skill sets, and develop yourself into a true business professional.

Cons

-Revised commission structure for a lack of a better term is garbage. So you increase my compensation to $50K per year, which was done due to a change in overtime laws on salaried employees making under a certain threshold. But in response to the increase in salary, you raise the minimum weekly spread threshold to $8,000 per week and then you make a percentage of what you bring above that mark. You're telling me that I bring in $416,000 a year in gross revenue, and I don't get anything from that? To add insult to injury, I made more commission in 3 months at my new sales role at a different company, than the 3 years I spent at Aston Carter.

-Removed year end contest bonus cash, and changed it to an stock option that divests over a 5 year period before you get it back.... Just give me the money that I earned for my work now so I can choose what I do with it. They do this under the guise that you can become an owner of the company with stock options, but the fact that I have to wait 5 years to get something that I earned that year is insane. I truly feel that this was a move to help mitigate the cost of so many contest winning employees that are leaving their organization due to attrition.

-Lack of career advancement opportunities: If you want to make good money, you have two options to advance into an ARM or AM role. Corporate roles are few and far in-between to be viable options. This demotivates employees who do NOT want to be in production driven roles for the entirety of their career.

-Tolerance for mediocrity: There are some individuals that have NO business of being employed there. The interview process is comprehensive, but once you're in and "show" that you work hard, they will continue to work with you even if you consistently miss your numbers. There were people there that just did not have the aptitude to do the job, but we kept them employed because they were "likable" and worked hard.

-Inconsistency in policy enforcement and favoritism: If you're a contest winning recruiter or AM, you can get away with nearly anything. We had prominent AM, that had won 7+ yearly contests, but was known for being impossible to work with. She turned over 6 recruiters in the 3 years I was there, and all had left for the same reason. Her management ability was never put into question, because she is one of the primary sources of revenue for that office. But turning over recruiters and creating a toxic work environment is okay, as long as you're hitting your numbers. That makes no sense at all, and makes employees feel like they're expendable.

-An insane amount of micromanagement, especially at the Account Management level.

Advice to Management

I was the top recruiter in my region for Aston Carter and was with the company for almost three years. At one time I thought this was going to be my career job, until what I listed above started to bother me, and I had to take a stand for myself and my happiness.

The truly ironic thing is I have seen great recruiters and account managers who were able to identify that Aerotek/Aston Carter was not for them, and then through that process their respective manager finds out, and generally the most common option is to let them go immediately, and/or not talk to them in their last 2 weeks at the job.

How are you going to have a mantra of finding the perfect fit for our candidates, but when internal employees determine that this isn't the right fit, you dump off your recruiters or AM's looking for a change as if they didn't pour hours of hard work and dedication to your company. I saw contest winning AM's leave their roles, in addition to recruiters who were treated poorly after making their decision to transition. What sickened me the most, is the amount of talking and bitterness that the leadership team has for those that decide to leave or have already left. This is the reason why NO ONE tells their managers or DBO's that they are looking, and will continue to be the case.

My advice to management is simple, revise your commission structure so recruiters feel adequately compensated for the overtime they work, and lower the spread threshold back to where it was. If you can't do this, then place more emphasis on work/life balance or you will continue to burn people out of their jobs.

Also, take the surveys that you receive from employees that are leaving seriously. There's a lot of useful information that you can benefit from. There's a reason why the attrition levels continue to be extremely high at Aerotek/Aston Carter.....

"Great to get foot in the door"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't feel stuck at one job

Cons

Insurance is pretty costly expensive
    Anxious about employment
    Contract sometimes are not definite