Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, excellent structure and they really do set you up for success.

Cons

Hours are long, you don't have to work 50+ hours but if you want to be successful you do have to put in the time to build your territory and business.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with under-performers to help them get on the right foot.

2. "Great to get foot in the door"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't feel stuck at one job

Cons

Insurance is pretty costly expensive
    Anxious about employment
    Contract sometimes are not definite

"My experience as a Technical Recruiter for almost 3 years."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Professional development is some of the best I have seen.

-Strong company culture - If you're not the type to sip the company kool-aid, then this can definitely be a con.

-Great place to build foundational skill sets, and develop yourself into a true business professional.

Cons

-Revised commission structure for a lack of a better term is garbage. So you increase my compensation to $50K per year, which was done due to a change in overtime laws on salaried employees making under a certain threshold. But in response to the increase in salary, you raise the minimum weekly spread threshold to $8,000 per week and then you make a percentage of what you bring above that mark. You're telling me that I bring in $416,000 a year in gross revenue, and I don't get anything from that? To add insult to injury, I made more commission in 3 months at my new sales role at a different company, than the 3 years I spent at Aston Carter.

-Removed year end contest bonus cash, and changed it to an stock option that divests over a 5 year period before you get it back.... Just give me the money that I earned for my work now so I can choose what I do with it. They do this under the guise that you can become an owner of the company with stock options, but the fact that I have to wait 5 years to get something that I earned that year is insane. I truly feel that this was a move to help mitigate the cost of so many contest winning employees that are leaving their organization due to attrition.

-Lack of career advancement opportunities: If you want to make good money, you have two options to advance into an ARM or AM role. Corporate roles are few and far in-between to be viable options. This demotivates employees who do NOT want to be in production driven roles for the entirety of their career.

-Tolerance for mediocrity: There are some individuals that have NO business of being employed there. The interview process is comprehensive, but once you're in and "show" that you work hard, they will continue to work with you even if you consistently miss your numbers. There were people there that just did not have the aptitude to do the job, but we kept them employed because they were "likable" and worked hard.

-Inconsistency in policy enforcement and favoritism: If you're a contest winning recruiter or AM, you can get away with nearly anything. We had prominent AM, that had won 7+ yearly contests, but was known for being impossible to work with. She turned over 6 recruiters in the 3 years I was there, and all had left for the same reason. Her management ability was never put into question, because she is one of the primary sources of revenue for that office. But turning over recruiters and creating a toxic work environment is okay, as long as you're hitting your numbers. That makes no sense at all, and makes employees feel like they're expendable.

-An insane amount of micromanagement, especially at the Account Management level.

Advice to Management

I was the top recruiter in my region for Aston Carter and was with the company for almost three years. At one time I thought this was going to be my career job, until what I listed above started to bother me, and I had to take a stand for myself and my happiness.

The truly ironic thing is I have seen great recruiters and account managers who were able to identify that Aerotek/Aston Carter was not for them, and then through that process their respective manager finds out, and generally the most common option is to let them go immediately, and/or not talk to them in their last 2 weeks at the job.

How are you going to have a mantra of finding the perfect fit for our candidates, but when internal employees determine that this isn't the right fit, you dump off your recruiters or AM's looking for a change as if they didn't pour hours of hard work and dedication to your company. I saw contest winning AM's leave their roles, in addition to recruiters who were treated poorly after making their decision to transition. What sickened me the most, is the amount of talking and bitterness that the leadership team has for those that decide to leave or have already left. This is the reason why NO ONE tells their managers or DBO's that they are looking, and will continue to be the case.

My advice to management is simple, revise your commission structure so recruiters feel adequately compensated for the overtime they work, and lower the spread threshold back to where it was. If you can't do this, then place more emphasis on work/life balance or you will continue to burn people out of their jobs.

Also, take the surveys that you receive from employees that are leaving seriously. There's a lot of useful information that you can benefit from. There's a reason why the attrition levels continue to be extremely high at Aerotek/Aston Carter.....

4. "Hard work pays off here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional and Business development + uncapped commission after certain milestones

Cons

Long hours when business is busy

5. "Project Administrator"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

The company is an outstanding company to work for. Even though they are a temp agency they treat you well and take care of their employees

Cons

I was working a lot of hours, many OT hours plus double time and per diem, on a couple of occasions I had to call in and have my pay corrected due to missing per diem

6. "Not the Best Comany"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Great foundation for being your career as a recruiter

Cons

Too much politics, pick people based off of looks not work ethnic

7. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great positive atmosphere to work in with people who truly care about your personal success. Everyday is something new in terms of work, never feel like you are being repetitive

Cons

Work hard, play hard environment. Life/Work Balance seems tough in the beginning but begin to understand your schedule

8. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more.
    The company invests in you from the start and the management is great with helping support you.

Cons

Work-life balance is tough to manage.

Advice to Management

Continue to target different markets and attack them from all angles.

9. "Recruiter/Sales Trainee"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aston Carter is the accounting and finance division of Aerotek. Aerotek is a HUGE and well known Recruiting firm and the Aston Carter division has been around for around 3 years now. Whats great about that is you get a start up feel with a huge company supporting you. Its really the best of both worlds.

In the position you recruit on accounting and finance positions. Once you perfect recruiting you are put into different classes to help you move into a Account Manager position. The cool part is it doesn't matter how long you have been with the company. If you are producing you will get promoted within a year over the person who has been recruiting for two. If you like to work hard and see a fast return its a great entry level position!

Cons

Down side it is a lot of hours. But luckily the culture really makes up for it. The people here are what makes working a little bit of longer hours worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing. I have never seen a director that cares and wants to see his people succeed more than Tyler Ellis.

10. "Financial Accounting- Fixed assets"

Current Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very quick placement. Professional staff. Growing and hungry finance/accounting segment in S Jersey/Phila area.

Cons

As a contract to hire, no cons.

Advice to Management

Can't speak to internal management but as a client who was quickly placed into a great opportunity in pharma I was impressed at the amount of care and follow up. I have used other recruiters and they are the best I have used.