Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough to manage (in 10 reviews)

• office politics make it difficult to progress if you're not in with senior management (in 4 reviews)

1. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great positive atmosphere to work in with people who truly care about your personal success. Everyday is something new in terms of work, never feel like you are being repetitive

Cons

Work hard, play hard environment. Life/Work Balance seems tough in the beginning but begin to understand your schedule

2. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more.
    The company invests in you from the start and the management is great with helping support you.

Cons

Work-life balance is tough to manage.

Advice to Management

Continue to target different markets and attack them from all angles.

"Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Professional Development
    Nearly unmatched corporate culture

Cons

Micromanagement
    Insane amount of office politics
    Tolerance for mediocrity
    Adjusted commission structure is BOGUS. Base is okay at $50K, but you don't make any commission on what you bring in until you hit $8,000 in weekly spread/revenue for the company. You mean I bring in $416,000 per year in gross revenue and I don't get any of that?? Insane, I've already made more in commission in my job as a Software Consultant in 3 months....

Advice to Management

Take the post interview surveys seriously and actually start to implement feedback. I was the top recruiter at Aston Carter in my region, and I left the organization on a high note. My decision to leave was a HUGE surprise to my management and team. I loved my team, but the constant micromanagement and office politics left a sour taste in my mouth.

I wanted to go into sales, but saw a lot of friends get burnt out or quit because the stress wasn't worth it. My location in particular had a ton of high profile/contest winning recruiters/AM's leave the organization due to poor management. A lot of tolerance for mediocrity, meaning that there were some employees that had NO business of being employed there still.

Office Politics: If you play the game right, you can get mediocre numbers but STILL get promoted to an Account Manager. Aerotek/Aston Carter does a poor job of promoting people that have a good combination of proven recruiting and leadership ability. We also had an Account Manager that won multiple contests, but turned over 7-8 recruiters in 3 years because she was awful at managing others and had a toxic personality.... This was deemed okay because she was a top producer (Something seriously wrong with that mindset). I could go on with other examples of managers that acted inappropriately, but nothing was done because they were top performers...

For a 10 billion dollar organization that does not know the importance of having a marketing team (They don't spend any $ on marketing, and they are proud of this for some reason....), working in tandem with the sales side, and also having both an inbound/outbound, or even a research team that work in tandem with Account Managers, are just a few things wrong with this picture. You end up with over worked account managers that are doing 2 jobs at once, but it's the expected norm.

I ended up deciding not going into sales, and was then offered a chance to interview for the Account Recruiting Manager opening, which I declined. I know a quite a few other peers who are looking to leave, some being contest level recruiters/Account Managers because of the micromanagement and office politics. Sorry for the long review, but this is coming from someone who thought that this was going to be my career job, and I loved my peers. The office politics combined with the insane amount of micromanagement are things that drove me away from the job.

If anyone from Aerotek/Aston Carter leadership is reading this, please do something about this or you will continue to see high levels of attrition from your top performers.

5. "Recruiter/Sales Trainee"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aston Carter is the accounting and finance division of Aerotek. Aerotek is a HUGE and well known Recruiting firm and the Aston Carter division has been around for around 3 years now. Whats great about that is you get a start up feel with a huge company supporting you. Its really the best of both worlds.

In the position you recruit on accounting and finance positions. Once you perfect recruiting you are put into different classes to help you move into a Account Manager position. The cool part is it doesn't matter how long you have been with the company. If you are producing you will get promoted within a year over the person who has been recruiting for two. If you like to work hard and see a fast return its a great entry level position!

Cons

Down side it is a lot of hours. But luckily the culture really makes up for it. The people here are what makes working a little bit of longer hours worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing. I have never seen a director that cares and wants to see his people succeed more than Tyler Ellis.

6. "Financial Accounting- Fixed assets"

Current Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very quick placement. Professional staff. Growing and hungry finance/accounting segment in S Jersey/Phila area.

Cons

As a contract to hire, no cons.

Advice to Management

Can't speak to internal management but as a client who was quickly placed into a great opportunity in pharma I was impressed at the amount of care and follow up. I have used other recruiters and they are the best I have used.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Close with the people on your team, support each other and back each other.

Cons

Very unprofessional environment, business is still growing and most people don't know how to be successful in the role yet. Management uses HARSH tactics such as scolding the team weekly telling their employees that they are awful at their jobs and need to do better. In turn management did not provide business for recruiters to thrive and couldn't close on business often which directly affected performance as a recruiter.

WEEKLY someone would go home crying, or go to cry in the bathrooms and managers would pretend not to notice.

There is absolutely NO work life balance. You are expected to eat, sleep, and breathe the company and are looked down upon for taking lunch, or leaving before 7pm. Work days are 12hrs/day.

Very much a numbers game, you will get booted if you don't perform and hit DAILY and WEEKLY number goals that no one in the office hits, and you will most likely quit before that happens.

CRAZY TURNOVER, in first few months I saw at least 6 people quit, two of which were in manager positions. In addition the office is extremely cliquey because it is a young environment of students right out of college.

Terrible benefits, decent pay but you work your life away for it.

Advice to Management

The more you scold your team and make people upset everyday the less the team will be successful.

"Great"

Pros

Great company and great people.

Cons

Long hours, hard work. Compensation isn't very good.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Not the Best Comany"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Great foundation for being your career as a recruiter

Cons

Too much politics, pick people based off of looks not work ethnic

10. "Not worth it"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Taking candidates out to lunch.

Cons

the environment- too fratty. Always gossipy. People were extremely intense and hard to ask questions to without getting your head bitten off.

Advice to Management

Hire people for management that not only prove themselves in sales but also in personality and the ability to handle situations. A lot of the management was immature and liked to gossip.

"A review from a current employee"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite being part of a big company Aston Carter is still small enough to change with the times and with feedback from the people.

A few people have left recently as they were not really interested in Sales, they liked the atmosphere and Thursdays in the pub but they did not like the fact this is a sales job and not an admin job. It is highly recommended for up and coming sales people, but not for people who want to just forward on emails so it is important you think about what you really want to do if you are thinking of joining.

I am writing this post as even though I have only been here 2 years I was asked to help with hiring, I was shocked when a candidate said they had been put off by what they had seen on Glassdoor, I then realised that incumbent employees don't post, only those who have left to go to other industries!

I wanted to share my positive experiences which include:
    Relaxed working atmosphere
    Very, and I mean Very, Social people who want to spend time with each other and do all sorts of social events
    Great commission structure once billing
    Number 1 supplier to more companies than I even knew existed
    Flat structure and ability to progress quickly if you put in the work and make the deals
    I also like the fact we actually do something for the world by supporting a couple of big name charities, I wouldn't have thought a Recruitment company would do this so that was a refreshing thing when I joined.

All seniors and leaders are shareholders which mean everyone cares about the company and the Brand.

Cons

It is hard sitting next to someone making over a £100k and to not be frustrated as soon as you join you want to be able to do the same as quickly as possible. But it takes time and they give you the structure to learn.

Advice to Management

Make sure you employees know about Glassdoor, I shouldn't have found out about it from a candidate really!