Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough to manage (in 12 reviews)

• 1 Absolutely no work life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Accountant"

Former Contractor - Accountant in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Contractor - Accountant in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Aston Carter as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to a company that lies to you from the start

Cons

They lie and waste your time. Claimed they had a position available for me that met my requirements. When I got there I went through the whole interview only to find out at the end that position they had me come into their office for was already filled. Don't understand why you wouldn't just be honest and up front that the position was already filled instead of wasting my time and gas. Would never use this temp agency. A bunch of scam artists.

Advice to Management

Hire honest recruiters

2. "Initially seemed very professional but overall not a great experience"

I worked at Aston Carter as a contractor

Pros

Quick turnaround and communication. My recruiter was very on top of things at the initial stages of my employment

Cons

It has taken over 6 weeks to receive my final paycheck. I should not have to worry about getting paid for my labor. The agency seems careless now that I am not an employee.

Advice to Management

Better communication with your clients and employees, I would hear one thing from the agency and another from my on site manager which created an atmosphere of anxiety. I also felt pressured to accept my offer right away.

3. "They are only looking to sell themselves"

I worked at Aston Carter as a contractor

Pros

There's nothing good to say -- the person that I worked with was nice enough, I guess.

Cons

When they ask you for references, it's because they want companies they can sell to. They're extremely invasive of your privacy, and if you are not careful, they may end up ruining your relationship with your references.

Advice to Management

If you're in the business to help people find work, don't act like slick oil sales people. Genuinely try to help people find work.

4. "Worst Experience"

Former Contractor - Accounting Clerk in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Contractor - Accounting Clerk in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Aston Carter as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing to add. Very unprofessional. They don't know how to even interview.

Cons

The worst agency I have ever worked for. Very unprofessional, & clueless on how to treat their employees. They'll get you into a job, & then you're on your own. When contracts don't work out they act like you never existed. Please don't be fooled. There are better agencies out there that care for their employees! I wish I didn't even bother, after all the craziness getting into a position, & for it to turn out the way it did and for them to be so clueless as to where they were sending their employees means they don't do their homework. They just want the clients money, & that's all that matters!! I wouldn't have given them any stars, but I had to post this! Good luck!

Advice to Management

Know how to be more professional. With details and facts. Know your clients before you send out your employees.

"Not worth it"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Taking candidates out to lunch.

Cons

the environment- too fratty. Always gossipy. People were extremely intense and hard to ask questions to without getting your head bitten off.

Advice to Management

Hire people for management that not only prove themselves in sales but also in personality and the ability to handle situations. A lot of the management was immature and liked to gossip.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Close with the people on your team, support each other and back each other.

Cons

Very unprofessional environment, business is still growing and most people don't know how to be successful in the role yet. Management uses HARSH tactics such as scolding the team weekly telling their employees that they are awful at their jobs and need to do better. In turn management did not provide business for recruiters to thrive and couldn't close on business often which directly affected performance as a recruiter.

WEEKLY someone would go home crying, or go to cry in the bathrooms and managers would pretend not to notice.

There is absolutely NO work life balance. You are expected to eat, sleep, and breathe the company and are looked down upon for taking lunch, or leaving before 7pm. Work days are 12hrs/day.

Very much a numbers game, you will get booted if you don't perform and hit DAILY and WEEKLY number goals that no one in the office hits, and you will most likely quit before that happens.

CRAZY TURNOVER, in first few months I saw at least 6 people quit, two of which were in manager positions. In addition the office is extremely cliquey because it is a young environment of students right out of college.

Terrible benefits, decent pay but you work your life away for it.

Advice to Management

The more you scold your team and make people upset everyday the less the team will be successful.

7. "DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

Pros

Office banter was good at times.

Cons

- Archaic form of management. All based on hitting KPIs for calls, CVs brought in, meetings booked etc. If you fail to hit these you will be torn apart, usually in one of the "red zone" meetings that happen at 8am and 2pm every day.
    - No consideration for work/life balance
    - Be prepared to work 12 hours minimum. At the peak I was arriving at 7am and leaving at 9pm...and my work ethic would still be questioned at times.
    - All based on face time, doesn't matter if you're efficient, leave before 7pm and you will be considered lazy.
    - You will be grossly underpaid if you work in permanent recruitment, base starts at 20k and £300 fee per placement regardless of the size. I once made a deal that made the company 50k, my manager 10k, and me £300.
    - The opportunities sold to you in interviews are largely a myth. Potential earnings will be massively overstated and realistically there is little scope for rapid progression (in perm at least).

Advice to Management

Start living in the 21st century and treat people as human beings rather than machines. Some of the staff you lose through awful mismanagement will go on to have great careers elsewhere with companies that make them feel valued.

"Boiler Room"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

Pros

Initial training and L&D follow ups are great for helping progression and the new offices in London are fantastic

Cons

The boiler room culture is stuck in the dark ages. Phone hammering and "one shoe fits all" KPI's are ridiculous.
    The perceptions are nothing shy of scandalous and the office politics and gossiping is a joke. They are more focused on what you appear to be doing than your actual results.
    A strict dress code and the way they treat those that are different make it a terrible place to work long term.
    Aston Carter's philosophy...let's throw mud at a wall and see what sticks.
    A great place to start one's career, so you can learn what not to do in the future.
    Too many glass ceilings to break through to realistically progress.
    Oh and any promises they make you during your interview. Don't believe, they lie, and force you to lie to others.
    Making people work 60 hours a week + for a recruiter fee of 300 and the need to do 6 deals and a 360 before getting promoted to billing, on a basic of 20k...But it's not all about the deals to get promoted, one has to show Aston Carter values. So realistically it will be a year before earning commission. on 20k + 300, and they expect you to be over the moon when you do a deal.

Advice to Management

it's the 21st Century. ADAPT.
    Relax the KPI's and talk to other people in the industry and see how they are doing things. Guaranteed more success.
    Listen to employees.

"A numbers game"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of financial backing, If you show commitment and can bill they will back you quickly. They work with good clients in FS however regionally they too reliant on one or two accounts.

Cons

Long hours. multiple meetings (2 daily stand up meetings that last over an hour each!) a 7-7 culture, your looked at as "not committed" if you leave before 6:30pm.
    There is no work life balance. They expect you to give up your previous commitments for the role.
    Management philosophy is that if you make X amount of calls a day you'll get X amount of CVs which result in X deals. If you don't hit the KPIs you'll be in trouble. Very aggressive management structure and the "fast track management programme" is only for people who are friends with their team managers. Its very political, especially in the regional offices.
    It can also be very difficult to develop new accounts due to the bad reputation caused from former workers.
    Senior management in the office has a low opinion of other recruitment companies and HR and that attitude is passed down to the consultants. They train you to treat HR like the plague. Candidate care is also an extremely low priority.

Advice to Management

Look at what the up and coming recruitment companies are doing to attract top talent, its about treating your employee like a human being. Money isn't the only motivator when joining a company.

Some billers are not good man managers, don't promote just because of their numbers.

"Bums on seats and blinkered management"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Potential to earn management if you manage to brown nose the right people - Good corporate events - Good clients (despite the fact they hunt from them also resulting in losing clients)

Cons

- Red tape upon red tape - Micromanagement to every degree - Appauling work/life balance - New initiatives being rolled out adding extra layers to everyone's process slowing everything down meaning you have to stay longer to get things done - No overtime pay - Favouritism

Advice to Management

Listen to the disgruntled employees and maybe the turnover won't be so high. Poor impact on morale seeing people come and go so often, it doesn't help people feel secure in their job. Red zones twice a day with the whole team lasting an hour each time is counterproductive. Too much irrelevant training decreasing the amount of time people can get on the phone and actually make money.