Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "My experience as a Technical Recruiter for almost 3 years."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Professional development is some of the best I have seen.

-Strong company culture - If you're not the type to sip the company kool-aid, then this can definitely be a con.

-Great place to build foundational skill sets, and develop yourself into a true business professional.

Cons

-Revised commission structure for a lack of a better term is garbage. So you increase my compensation to $50K per year, which was done due to a change in overtime laws on salaried employees making under a certain threshold. But in response to the increase in salary, you raise the minimum weekly spread threshold to $8,000 per week and then you make a percentage of what you bring above that mark. You're telling me that I bring in $416,000 a year in gross revenue, and I don't get anything from that? To add insult to injury, I made more commission in 3 months at my new sales role at a different company, than the 3 years I spent at Aston Carter.

-Removed year end contest bonus cash, and changed it to an stock option that divests over a 5 year period before you get it back.... Just give me the money that I earned for my work now so I can choose what I do with it. They do this under the guise that you can become an owner of the company with stock options, but the fact that I have to wait 5 years to get something that I earned that year is insane. I truly feel that this was a move to help mitigate the cost of so many contest winning employees that are leaving their organization due to attrition.

-Lack of career advancement opportunities: If you want to make good money, you have two options to advance into an ARM or AM role. Corporate roles are few and far in-between to be viable options. This demotivates employees who do NOT want to be in production driven roles for the entirety of their career.

-Tolerance for mediocrity: There are some individuals that have NO business of being employed there. The interview process is comprehensive, but once you're in and "show" that you work hard, they will continue to work with you even if you consistently miss your numbers. There were people there that just did not have the aptitude to do the job, but we kept them employed because they were "likable" and worked hard.

-Inconsistency in policy enforcement and favoritism: If you're a contest winning recruiter or AM, you can get away with nearly anything. We had prominent AM, that had won 7+ yearly contests, but was known for being impossible to work with. She turned over 6 recruiters in the 3 years I was there, and all had left for the same reason. Her management ability was never put into question, because she is one of the primary sources of revenue for that office. But turning over recruiters and creating a toxic work environment is okay, as long as you're hitting your numbers. That makes no sense at all, and makes employees feel like they're expendable.

-An insane amount of micromanagement, especially at the Account Management level.

Advice to Management

I was the top recruiter in my region for Aston Carter and was with the company for almost three years. At one time I thought this was going to be my career job, until what I listed above started to bother me, and I had to take a stand for myself and my happiness.

The truly ironic thing is I have seen great recruiters and account managers who were able to identify that Aerotek/Aston Carter was not for them, and then through that process their respective manager finds out, and generally the most common option is to let them go immediately, and/or not talk to them in their last 2 weeks at the job.

How are you going to have a mantra of finding the perfect fit for our candidates, but when internal employees determine that this isn't the right fit, you dump off your recruiters or AM's looking for a change as if they didn't pour hours of hard work and dedication to your company. I saw contest winning AM's leave their roles, in addition to recruiters who were treated poorly after making their decision to transition. What sickened me the most, is the amount of talking and bitterness that the leadership team has for those that decide to leave or have already left. This is the reason why NO ONE tells their managers or DBO's that they are looking, and will continue to be the case.

My advice to management is simple, revise your commission structure so recruiters feel adequately compensated for the overtime they work, and lower the spread threshold back to where it was. If you can't do this, then place more emphasis on work/life balance or you will continue to burn people out of their jobs.

Also, take the surveys that you receive from employees that are leaving seriously. There's a lot of useful information that you can benefit from. There's a reason why the attrition levels continue to be extremely high at Aerotek/Aston Carter.....

2. "Don't Expect Fair Compensation"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Aston Carter as a contractor

Pros

* Friendly staff
    * Good communication
    * Not the worst pay for the job
    * Decent networking opportunities

Cons

My biggest complaint is that Aston Carter does not compensate for holidays the company you work for takes off. Your company closes for two days in November for Thanksgiving? Maybe you'll get Thanksgiving but the other day? Nah. Your company closes two days for the Fourth of July? Zero compensation. Labor Day off? Zero compensation. These were all things that happened to me. Additionally, there is no PTO or sick day coverage.

Advice to Management

Like you care.

3. "Not the Best Comany"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Great foundation for being your career as a recruiter

Cons

Too much politics, pick people based off of looks not work ethnic

4. "Career Progression"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Quarterly lunches
    Social engagement
    Opportunity to make money

Cons

Career progression can be hindered by your boss

Advice to Management

Speak to employees more, do not wait until they are at the point of handing in their notice before taking action.

5. "Number of falsified reviews been written lately to bring up the average rating"

Pros

- Varied client list, including most of the top names across the city
    - structured training
    - some management are very good at developing people
    - good atmosphere on most teams in the day-to-day
    - If you are identified as a talent by leadership early in your career then you will be given lot of opportunities
    - Sean Zimdahl is an excellent leader

Cons

- Poor culture - management are often on your case about the smallest things consistently
    - Big Brother is always watching and will ask you endless questions about the smallest things like 5 minutes lateness
    - If you are not one of the chosen few then you will have limited progression until (or if) you do well - and then you might be lucky enough to be one of the chosen ones
    - loads of people have been leaving across the board, leading to a poor atmosphere
    - the pay is atrocious compared to even other recruitment companies

Advice to Management

- Not much to advise, the old school recruitment types who are running the show have proven this far that they will encourage change but only up to a point, meaning that the gestures are nominal and don't make much difference.

- You won't be able to change the company now, it's too big and cumbersome, but at least pay your staff a wage that they can live on if they are in a bad billing patch!

"Good team, bad management."

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Great comradery, can potentially earn good money if you're allowed to progress.

Cons

Not enough holiday leave (20 days) for the hours that you put in. (contracted 50 hours / week - 8am-6pm, yes you do often work through lunch as there is no canteen so you eat at your desk and the phone will ring during your break!)
    If standard hours weren't long enough you are expected to work overtime - arriving 30 mins to 1 hour early and leave 30 mins to 1 hour late - especially in more junior positions.
    Management is poor, dependent on what team you work in. Sales managers have little responsibility but to 'drive the team' which means taking you out of office for 45mins-1hour a day to discuss/bollock you for not hitting KPI's and targets which are twice as high as competitors, meanwhile you fall further behind in meeting said KPI's and sales targets.

Advice to Management

Cut out the favouritism

"Too much to put up with for the renumeration"

Current Employee - Support Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reward top earners after a few years, you get perks such as one annual trip to Cancun / Miami and bonuses.

Cons

Your opinion is not really valid until you've been there a few years -

Expenses - they get funny with you if you put all your expenses through

Face-timing culture - you arrive around 7.30/7.40am at the latest, you dont leave until 6.30/7/7.30pm depending on your desk

Low pay - base salary is below the industry standard so, expect to earn less than 30k in year 1 and around 30k-50k in year 2 year, year 3 is more ambiguous but around 50k-70k if you´re good enough. Other recruitment companies pay more.

Advice to Management

Bring your culture into the 21st century, give people more freedom and space to succeed. Increase the base salary.

8. "Not for a first employment. Maybe for someone more experienced in the heads-hunting job market"

Pros

Sorry, could not find any. It's on the average of this kind of recruiting agency. Not the worst, far away from the best. If you are experienced and you negotiate then it might be a good deal. You can use it as filling-the-holes employment, or to make the first experience. If the client you work at has a good reputation you can benefit for your CV. If the client you work at meets the expectations of its reputation, then you will gain experience. After that just move somewhere else to grow for real.

Cons

No attention for any need of the employees, no help in burocracy, no guarantee of a commitment for you to get any government advantage (bare in mind that in some countries your employer applies for these benefits). They drastically change the contract upon (late coming) renovation. Payslip not clear.

Advice to Management

There are employees before (or at least same level) money

"good pay"

Former Employee - Payer in Illi (Armenia)
    Former Employee - Payer in Illi (Armenia)

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people of staff they work really well together

Cons

none it really is a great environment

Advice to Management

people are funny

"Market you well, too many commitments, less benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market you well, Contract will be good credit goes to the third party agency (Innoware) will do on behalf of aston carter

Cons

Too many false commitments (Normally any body shopping agency does that, but as per my experience these people are least professional), Benefits are less, No sick leaves, No medical cards where the other consultants in the same team have more benefits, this is in an investment bank where all the benefits should be identical, so any one who got an offer from these people should negotiate and get what they are eligible for. They don't have any standards.