Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough to manage (in 11 reviews)

• 1 Absolutely no work life balance (in 3 reviews)

"Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Professional Development
    Nearly unmatched corporate culture

Cons

Micromanagement
    Insane amount of office politics
    Tolerance for mediocrity
    Adjusted commission structure is BOGUS. Base is okay at $50K, but you don't make any commission on what you bring in until you hit $8,000 in weekly spread/revenue for the company. You mean I bring in $416,000 per year in gross revenue and I don't get any of that?? Insane, I've already made more in commission in my job as a Software Consultant in 3 months....

Advice to Management

Take the post interview surveys seriously and actually start to implement feedback. I was the top recruiter at Aston Carter in my region, and I left the organization on a high note. My decision to leave was a HUGE surprise to my management and team. I loved my team, but the constant micromanagement and office politics left a sour taste in my mouth.

I wanted to go into sales, but saw a lot of friends get burnt out or quit because the stress wasn't worth it. My location in particular had a ton of high profile/contest winning recruiters/AM's leave the organization due to poor management. A lot of tolerance for mediocrity, meaning that there were some employees that had NO business of being employed there still.

Office Politics: If you play the game right, you can get mediocre numbers but STILL get promoted to an Account Manager. Aerotek/Aston Carter does a poor job of promoting people that have a good combination of proven recruiting and leadership ability. We also had an Account Manager that won multiple contests, but turned over 7-8 recruiters in 3 years because she was awful at managing others and had a toxic personality.... This was deemed okay because she was a top producer (Something seriously wrong with that mindset). I could go on with other examples of managers that acted inappropriately, but nothing was done because they were top performers...

For a 10 billion dollar organization that does not know the importance of having a marketing team (They don't spend any $ on marketing, and they are proud of this for some reason....), working in tandem with the sales side, and also having both an inbound/outbound, or even a research team that work in tandem with Account Managers, are just a few things wrong with this picture. You end up with over worked account managers that are doing 2 jobs at once, but it's the expected norm.

I ended up deciding not going into sales, and was then offered a chance to interview for the Account Recruiting Manager opening, which I declined. I know a quite a few other peers who are looking to leave, some being contest level recruiters/Account Managers because of the micromanagement and office politics. Sorry for the long review, but this is coming from someone who thought that this was going to be my career job, and I loved my peers. The office politics combined with the insane amount of micromanagement are things that drove me away from the job.

If anyone from Aerotek/Aston Carter leadership is reading this, please do something about this or you will continue to see high levels of attrition from your top performers.

2. "From an accounting contractors perspective"

Former Contractor - Accounting Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Accounting Contractor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Aston Carter as a contractor

Pros

Flexibility of being a contractor. They pretty much found positions that were a good fit for me and close to home.

Cons

The benefits for vacation are nil unlike other temporary agencies. Of course since you're not a direct employee the cost of the benefits are high and unpaid holidays come with the territory.

3. "Okay but could be better"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Good people, enjoyed my time

Cons

Poor management , need new people

Advice to Management

Get a new job

4. ""Don't get lured by your interviewers""

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The one and only thing I'm sad about when I quit are the people. People are friendly and very helpful - you can go up to anyone anytime to ask for advice when you need help. Even synergy cross teams are great.

Cons

#1 Absolutely no work life balance. Contract says 9am to 6pm but there's a daily stand up meeting at 8.30am. People get shouted at even if they are late for a minute. No breakfast at your desk after 8.30am. I have never left before 6.45pm unless I have work-related meetings after work outside of the office - the longer you stay the "more hardworking" you are. In my opinion if you can't finish what you need to do between 9 to 6 you aren't working smart enough.

#2 Everything is rigid. KPIs are fixed - it's the same every week, and for everyone across teams. GM likes to create internal competition which isn't healthy. Lots of admin work.

#3 High turnover. After a year and a half I left, only 3 out of 10 people are still in the same team. Probably 1/10 of the people I know are still with the company.

#4 Commission isn't really around market rate. Not going into details for this one.

Advice to Management

Be flexible. Give your employees work life balance.

5. "Good Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good place to learn
    - Some admirable support from management, in and out of office
    - Good to start here, even if it's not for you you, it's a good first step on the career ladder
    - Good l&d and exposure to European teams
    - Good social side
    - CEO
    - Well known name in the market

Cons

- very corporate
    - some poor management across the company
    - Wouldn't say morale is the best
    - Lots of people leaving
    - basic salary poor - but still potential to earn

Advice to Management

Trust your staff more, it isn't school

6. "Average, good learning"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they plug a lot of money into their l&d, there are people who want you to succeed but at the end of the day they aren't going to help you get there. It's a very independent job and you have to have a lot of self-accountability.

Cons

The company are incredibly cheap, they will try and nickle and dime you on everything. If you do a 20 grand placement, you can't take the candidate for a nice dinner to celebrate and maintain that relationship. Senior leadership are so distant from having ever done recruitment or picked up a phone that they have no idea of the challenges. The company has a massive on drinking culture, it's like no one in the business has a hobby outside of going to the pub. It's a very stale culture with a very high attrition. You join here to learn recruitment, not enjoy life. Work life balance sucks.

Advice to Management

Relax your rules, adults who are succeeding are doing it for them not for you. Learn a bit of emotional intelligence, if someone has worked 3 70 hour weeks in a row and turns up late 15-20 minutes one day, there is no need to pull them into a meeting room and bollock them. This happens all to frequently. Significant disconnect between sales managers and what their teams are doing.

Sean is a great guy though and very inspiring, his Sales Manager and Directors of Sales - not so much.

7. "Good recruitment agency"

Pros

Lots of activities outside of work

Cons

Work/life balance not worth it for the pay

8. "ok place to work"

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

ambitious atmosphere to work in

Cons

very clique orientated, have to fit in

9. "Support Consultant"

Pros

Very good money to be made

Cons

American work culture has negative impact on some

"Good recruitment firm to begin your career"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-well established brand in the recruitment market
    -work with a list of large banks and companies
    -ambitious growth plans and encourage people to take ownership and grow out the business
    -good commission structure and opportunity to make a lot of money in a short period of time

Cons

-office politics make it difficult to progress if you're not in with senior management
    -ridiculous hours - I am talking 12 hour days generally
    -very corporate environment
    -perception is everything.. you could be working very hard all day but if you leave at 6pm people will question your work ethic