Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough to manage (in 10 reviews)

• office politics make it difficult to progress if you're not in with senior management (in 4 reviews)

1. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great positive atmosphere to work in with people who truly care about your personal success. Everyday is something new in terms of work, never feel like you are being repetitive

Cons

Work hard, play hard environment. Life/Work Balance seems tough in the beginning but begin to understand your schedule

2. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more.
    The company invests in you from the start and the management is great with helping support you.

Cons

Work-life balance is tough to manage.

Advice to Management

Continue to target different markets and attack them from all angles.

3. "Recruiter/Sales Trainee"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aston Carter is the accounting and finance division of Aerotek. Aerotek is a HUGE and well known Recruiting firm and the Aston Carter division has been around for around 3 years now. Whats great about that is you get a start up feel with a huge company supporting you. Its really the best of both worlds.

In the position you recruit on accounting and finance positions. Once you perfect recruiting you are put into different classes to help you move into a Account Manager position. The cool part is it doesn't matter how long you have been with the company. If you are producing you will get promoted within a year over the person who has been recruiting for two. If you like to work hard and see a fast return its a great entry level position!

Cons

Down side it is a lot of hours. But luckily the culture really makes up for it. The people here are what makes working a little bit of longer hours worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing. I have never seen a director that cares and wants to see his people succeed more than Tyler Ellis.

5. "Financial Accounting- Fixed assets"

Current Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate Financial Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very quick placement. Professional staff. Growing and hungry finance/accounting segment in S Jersey/Phila area.

Cons

As a contract to hire, no cons.

Advice to Management

Can't speak to internal management but as a client who was quickly placed into a great opportunity in pharma I was impressed at the amount of care and follow up. I have used other recruiters and they are the best I have used.

"Great"

Pros

Great company and great people.

Cons

Long hours, hard work. Compensation isn't very good.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Provides some of the best opportunities in the recruitment market"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter (Less than a year)

Pros

- There is serious money to be made with some earning in excess of 300k a year.
    - Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners.
    - Support to grow into what ever role you want: Account Manager, Client Strategy, Sales Manager or even if you want to move internationally (USA, Asia, Australia)
    - Performance Culture. Working with some real high performing teams.
    - Sean (CEO) & Eli (RVP)leading the Sales Division across EMEA are very inspiring and have a clear vision and purpose.
    - The company is adapting to enter new markets and sell more than just staffing to its clients which yet gain creates even more opportunity for employees.

Cons

- a lot of people complain about KPIs in the below reviews. If you don't want to be given a target and be asked to hit it recruitment in general is probably the wrong industry for you.
    - contracted hours are 8-6 which is normal for the city, sometimes you may have to work late to source an urgent role. No one makes you do that though.
    - attrition will be high this year because of market challenges. The role is harder than ever before and only those able to adapt to selling new products will end up staying and making money.
    - recruitment is often looked down upon by many due to a saturated market of small-medium sized firms with moody tactics. Luckily Aston Carter are not one of those and have some excellent values.
    - no benefits in package.

Advice to Management

- Finance now able to only sign off £30 a head for client lunches and meets? Seniors have to pay for their own paintball day out organised by the company on work time? No real benefits, no company contribution for pension? We are a big corporate now it would be great to actually see the benefits of that.

Base Salary for Seniors should be 35 atleast. Many of these people billed you 300k last year to hit the incentive trip. Consultants should be 28k.

Keep driving right performance culture. Not all attrition is bad attrition.

8. "Highly recommend"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter (More than a year)

Pros

Structured training
    like minded people
    very high earning potentials/uncapped commission
    fast paced
    forward thinking, fast growing company
    Career progression
    overseas opportunities
    huge client base

Cons

Can be tough at times and the standards are very high, but it's worth it

Advice to Management

We did junior level appraisals with a senior director last year, which was very beneficial and interesting - more stuff like that please!

9. "Positive Learning Curve"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aston Carter (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working in a variety of sales roles prior to working at Aston Carter I found that my experience at the company really developed me as a recruiter and taught me the true value of hard work. After meeting some of my potential colleagues at interview stage, I was placed in to a team that best suited what I was looking for in terms of a new role and into an environment I felt I could progress in. I was given support along the way and learnt from some of the best recruitment consultants in the city which built my confidence and helped me to develop my own set of skills. I found working with so many motivated and driven individuals helped me to stay focused and really gave me the foundation to progress in my career. Definitely recommend this company for driven individuals with a hunger to earn money and people that want to be rewarded for the work they put in.

Cons

The demanding nature of the job got the better of me and I find myself stressed at times but always persevered and the commission cheque always helped.

10. "#1 Recruitment Firm In The City"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

Pros

* Huge earning potential and uncapped commission
    * Flat management structure
    * No time limits on how quickly you can get promoted
    * Progression solely based on how quickly you can do deals and learn the job
    * Large client base that includes many Tier 1 banks
    * Lots of good roles to work on with prestigious clients
    * Structured coaching and training both formal with L&D and with your Seniors
    * Great social including drinks, lunches, sports events, parties and holidays (Dubai, Miami..)
    * Bright, articulate and highly motivated colleagues
    * This is as close to a graduate scheme as there is within recruitment

Cons

* Hard work at times but rewarding and well worth it

Advice to Management

* Make sure you keep the balance between small specialists teams that are entrepreneurial and the large corporate influence of Allegis

"Definitely work here if you want to do sales!!"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

I get the previous persons comments, it is hard, it is long hours, it is challenging. However what that person obviously doesn't get is that all jobs are hard to begin with, all are long hours and all pay relatively low salaries until you add value. The person below has missed out some key elements of their own under performance (one deal in a year usually means you don't earn a lot and you get put on some form of performance support plan - it is Sales after all), however I won't go into that, I will just outline how well I have done in the past 18 months as an example to all potential joiners to what is possible if you are smart, organised and are open to listening and learning from those who have performed well over the years!

I have been promoted twice and earned over £40k in my first year which isn't bad considering how tough the market has been.
    I am now the Account Manager for one of our biggest banking accounts and am loving the responsibility.
    My team are great and we all get a long well and are all pulling in the same direction.
    I know exactly what I need to do to get promoted to the next level and I hope to do this within 6 months which will mean I have made it to Senior Consultant in 2 years!!

Cons

It is hard, a lot banks were not hiring this year and we have had to develop out client portfolio more so than in previous years. The biggest negative is that I didn't start the year before (2015) as then I would have been a year further forward in my career and could have earned more in 2016 as I would have known more!

Advice to Management

Be open with new joiners, I was told how hard it would be in interview and that really helped when I started finding it tough 6 months as I had thought about how to deal with it!
    Also, don't change things due bad people leaving, only change things to help the good people who are building the business.