Aston Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Aston Carter Founder and Chief Executive Officer Sean Zimdahl
Sean Zimdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, like minded people, great people, support, ability to move up and grow with the company, great base pay and ability to earn more (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough to manage (in 11 reviews)

• 1 Absolutely no work life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Accountant"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

strong bonded finance team. great atmosphere.

Cons

management has changed since bought by americans

2. "Okay but could be better"

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Good people, enjoyed my time

Cons

Poor management , need new people

Advice to Management

Get a new job

3. "Very professional in sourcing candidates"

Former Employee - Intermediate Accountant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intermediate Accountant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aston Carter (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an "Intermediate Accountant" at a Senior Living company sourced through Aston Carter. AS exactly knew what I was looking for a career change and found my archived profile to match an opportunity in Vancouver. They were very quick in contacting me, scheduling an interview and placing me with the client. Their payroll system is very advanced and the staff followed up to check if everything was going well throughout my tenure.

Cons

None. They did not give any opportunity for a bad review. Nick and Shay were very professional and courteous to avoid a bad experience.

Advice to Management

Please continue your reliable service to all the F&A professionals. You went a step ahead in fulfilling my career aspirations. I congratulate the AS staff for their dedication to help candidates follow their long term goals.

4. ""Don't get lured by your interviewers""

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The one and only thing I'm sad about when I quit are the people. People are friendly and very helpful - you can go up to anyone anytime to ask for advice when you need help. Even synergy cross teams are great.

Cons

#1 Absolutely no work life balance. Contract says 9am to 6pm but there's a daily stand up meeting at 8.30am. People get shouted at even if they are late for a minute. No breakfast at your desk after 8.30am. I have never left before 6.45pm unless I have work-related meetings after work outside of the office - the longer you stay the "more hardworking" you are. In my opinion if you can't finish what you need to do between 9 to 6 you aren't working smart enough.

#2 Everything is rigid. KPIs are fixed - it's the same every week, and for everyone across teams. GM likes to create internal competition which isn't healthy. Lots of admin work.

#3 High turnover. After a year and a half I left, only 3 out of 10 people are still in the same team. Probably 1/10 of the people I know are still with the company.

#4 Commission isn't really around market rate. Not going into details for this one.

Advice to Management

Be flexible. Give your employees work life balance.

"A review from a current employee"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite being part of a big company Aston Carter is still small enough to change with the times and with feedback from the people.

A few people have left recently as they were not really interested in Sales, they liked the atmosphere and Thursdays in the pub but they did not like the fact this is a sales job and not an admin job. It is highly recommended for up and coming sales people, but not for people who want to just forward on emails so it is important you think about what you really want to do if you are thinking of joining.

I am writing this post as even though I have only been here 2 years I was asked to help with hiring, I was shocked when a candidate said they had been put off by what they had seen on Glassdoor, I then realised that incumbent employees don't post, only those who have left to go to other industries!

I wanted to share my positive experiences which include:
    Relaxed working atmosphere
    Very, and I mean Very, Social people who want to spend time with each other and do all sorts of social events
    Great commission structure once billing
    Number 1 supplier to more companies than I even knew existed
    Flat structure and ability to progress quickly if you put in the work and make the deals
    I also like the fact we actually do something for the world by supporting a couple of big name charities, I wouldn't have thought a Recruitment company would do this so that was a refreshing thing when I joined.

All seniors and leaders are shareholders which mean everyone cares about the company and the Brand.

Cons

It is hard sitting next to someone making over a £100k and to not be frustrated as soon as you join you want to be able to do the same as quickly as possible. But it takes time and they give you the structure to learn.

Advice to Management

Make sure you employees know about Glassdoor, I shouldn't have found out about it from a candidate really!

6. "Not the Best Comany"

I worked at Aston Carter full-time

Pros

Great foundation for being your career as a recruiter

Cons

Too much politics, pick people based off of looks not work ethnic

7. "Headhunter"

Pros

If you want to work in recruitment then there isn't a better place to be. You get a lot of support around how to do sales and how to get the most out of each phone call etc.
    Social side is good, lots of things happen outside of "management organised" stuff which means you get the best of big and small events

Cons

It is hard, lots of companies are cutting back on recruitment spend, however the breadth of the client base does mean AC are best positioned to make the most of the market.
    Some people have left recently, however they probably shouldn't have been hired in the first place if we are all honest with our selves as the few people that have gone have all gone to do jobs outside of recruitment.

Advice to Management

Be strict on who you hire, a lot of time is invested in new joiners and if they are not interested in putting in hard graft for long term gain then they won't make our company better

"Provides some of the best opportunities in the recruitment market"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aston Carter (Less than a year)

Pros

- There is serious money to be made with some earning in excess of 300k a year.
    - Excellent L&D and 'Academy' for new joiners.
    - Support to grow into what ever role you want: Account Manager, Client Strategy, Sales Manager or even if you want to move internationally (USA, Asia, Australia)
    - Performance Culture. Working with some real high performing teams.
    - Sean (CEO) & Eli (RVP)leading the Sales Division across EMEA are very inspiring and have a clear vision and purpose.
    - The company is adapting to enter new markets and sell more than just staffing to its clients which yet gain creates even more opportunity for employees.

Cons

- a lot of people complain about KPIs in the below reviews. If you don't want to be given a target and be asked to hit it recruitment in general is probably the wrong industry for you.
    - contracted hours are 8-6 which is normal for the city, sometimes you may have to work late to source an urgent role. No one makes you do that though.
    - attrition will be high this year because of market challenges. The role is harder than ever before and only those able to adapt to selling new products will end up staying and making money.
    - recruitment is often looked down upon by many due to a saturated market of small-medium sized firms with moody tactics. Luckily Aston Carter are not one of those and have some excellent values.
    - no benefits in package.

Advice to Management

- Finance now able to only sign off £30 a head for client lunches and meets? Seniors have to pay for their own paintball day out organised by the company on work time? No real benefits, no company contribution for pension? We are a big corporate now it would be great to actually see the benefits of that.

Base Salary for Seniors should be 35 atleast. Many of these people billed you 300k last year to hit the incentive trip. Consultants should be 28k.

Keep driving right performance culture. Not all attrition is bad attrition.

9. "Number of falsified reviews been written lately to bring up the average rating"

Pros

- Varied client list, including most of the top names across the city
    - structured training
    - some management are very good at developing people
    - good atmosphere on most teams in the day-to-day
    - If you are identified as a talent by leadership early in your career then you will be given lot of opportunities
    - Sean Zimdahl is an excellent leader

Cons

- Poor culture - management are often on your case about the smallest things consistently
    - Big Brother is always watching and will ask you endless questions about the smallest things like 5 minutes lateness
    - If you are not one of the chosen few then you will have limited progression until (or if) you do well - and then you might be lucky enough to be one of the chosen ones
    - loads of people have been leaving across the board, leading to a poor atmosphere
    - the pay is atrocious compared to even other recruitment companies

Advice to Management

- Not much to advise, the old school recruitment types who are running the show have proven this far that they will encourage change but only up to a point, meaning that the gestures are nominal and don't make much difference.

- You won't be able to change the company now, it's too big and cumbersome, but at least pay your staff a wage that they can live on if they are in a bad billing patch!

"Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR

I worked at Aston Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Professional Development
    Nearly unmatched corporate culture

Cons

Micromanagement
    Insane amount of office politics
    Tolerance for mediocrity
    Adjusted commission structure is BOGUS. Base is okay at $50K, but you don't make any commission on what you bring in until you hit $8,000 in weekly spread/revenue for the company. You mean I bring in $416,000 per year in gross revenue and I don't get any of that?? Insane, I've already made more in commission in my job as a Software Consultant in 3 months....

Advice to Management

Take the post interview surveys seriously and actually start to implement feedback. I was the top recruiter at Aston Carter in my region, and I left the organization on a high note. My decision to leave was a HUGE surprise to my management and team. I loved my team, but the constant micromanagement and office politics left a sour taste in my mouth.

I wanted to go into sales, but saw a lot of friends get burnt out or quit because the stress wasn't worth it. My location in particular had a ton of high profile/contest winning recruiters/AM's leave the organization due to poor management. A lot of tolerance for mediocrity, meaning that there were some employees that had NO business of being employed there still.

Office Politics: If you play the game right, you can get mediocre numbers but STILL get promoted to an Account Manager. Aerotek/Aston Carter does a poor job of promoting people that have a good combination of proven recruiting and leadership ability. We also had an Account Manager that won multiple contests, but turned over 7-8 recruiters in 3 years because she was awful at managing others and had a toxic personality.... This was deemed okay because she was a top producer (Something seriously wrong with that mindset). I could go on with other examples of managers that acted inappropriately, but nothing was done because they were top performers...

For a 10 billion dollar organization that does not know the importance of having a marketing team (They don't spend any $ on marketing, and they are proud of this for some reason....), working in tandem with the sales side, and also having both an inbound/outbound, or even a research team that work in tandem with Account Managers, are just a few things wrong with this picture. You end up with over worked account managers that are doing 2 jobs at once, but it's the expected norm.

I ended up deciding not going into sales, and was then offered a chance to interview for the Account Recruiting Manager opening, which I declined. I know a quite a few other peers who are looking to leave, some being contest level recruiters/Account Managers because of the micromanagement and office politics. Sorry for the long review, but this is coming from someone who thought that this was going to be my career job, and I loved my peers. The office politics combined with the insane amount of micromanagement are things that drove me away from the job.

If anyone from Aerotek/Aston Carter leadership is reading this, please do something about this or you will continue to see high levels of attrition from your top performers.