AstraZeneca Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Pros
  • they offer great benefits and a good work/life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Good benefits and overall culture (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance is loaded specially if you intend to develop fast in your career (in 31 reviews)

• I consider this a capital mistake in vision at the senior management level (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Contractor in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Contractor in Macclesfield, England (UK)

Pros

The company makes a great effort to engage employees and invest in making it a great place to work. There is a determined focus on following the science to develop new life changing medicines and to put patients first.

Cons

There is a lot of change and restructuring with a drive to save money by moving jobs to lower cost parts of the world eg India, Eastern Europe, Far East. Increased job opportunities in those locations are offset by job losses in the more traditional locations where the company has operated, It's sad but inevitable.

Advice to Management

Maintain honest and timely communication on the vision for the future of the company to enable employees adversely affected to manage the change.

2. "Great Employer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrogate, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, exciting new job role. Taken on at the start of a really exciting new project at a customer service level rather than sales.

Cons

The company started us all on salaries relevant to our skills and experience whilst benchmarking the role. When ascertained the role balanced out at a reasonably low level, they brought in a manger to micro-manage the higher earners out!

Advice to Management

Benchmark roles before employing a diverse, highly skilled team.

"Getting better at people development but still a way to go before it's up there with benchmark organisations."

Current Employee - Market Access Manager in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great science developing all the time, really wonderful people (for the most part!). Very supportive of further education and academic learning on the job. Reasonable benefit package on par with the industry.

Cons

Too much overlap between roles in various layers of the organisation, too much committee based decision making so decisions don't get made fast enough. Performance not always managed we'll by some managers. Career progression is politically motivated not based on transparent criteria.

Advice to Management

Look a bit closer at some of the management behaviours. Need greater transparency in people development, clearer behavioural & capabilities mapping for how to move to the next job, and better and more consistent management of people's performance.

5. "Getting better"

Current Employee - Associate Principal Scientist in Alderley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Principal Scientist in Alderley, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary
    Good Packages
    Varied Role
    Science focused

Cons

No career progression
    Illogical End of year rating system
    You can feel a cog in a machine
    Tough working with a fragmented organisation split across sites due to Cambridge Move

Advice to Management

Be honest
    Consider staff as a people and not just resource to keep business running

6. "A great place to work"

Former Intern - Engineering Assistant in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Engineering Assistant in Macclesfield, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The staff are friendly and helpful. Work is challenging at times but very rewarding. Every project you work on is a way of helping people who otherwise would live with terrible disease/illness. Flexible working hours

Cons

Sometimes projects demand more of your time than the usual 8 hour day and youbmay he expected to work late, however you can then take off a few hours im the following days to ensure no more than 40 hours are worked per week (on average).

Advice to Management

Keep hiring university students as this is a positive way to increase employability of people who will have an understanding of how the company operates

7. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Alderley Edge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Alderley Edge, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, and holidays (usually 22 days minimum + christmas, and opportunity to "buy" an additional 10 days. Flexible working is great for those with families.

Cons

Highly corporate mentality, high pressure workload but flexible working and good holidays help relieve this.

8. "An average company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pipeline, mostly good people to work with, pension plan, stock options, 401K match, flexible work environment

Cons

communication, career growth, insufficient cross functional support

Advice to Management

Keep the talent, communicate better

9. "Great employer, but hard to move up"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Macclesfield, England (UK)

Pros

Collaborative working environment, good energy in the company to succeed, lots of interesting science happening with the goal to provide innovative new medicines. Prior to joining the company I viewed such large pharma companies and faceless and impersonal, however this has not been my experience of AstraZeneca. There is good communication of clinical studies and success stories with patients back to those that are developing the medicines, which is really nice to see as a chemist working on API manufacture. There is a rather flat management structure and this works well to be connected to managers a couple of levels above your grade

Cons

Due to the flat management structure there is a downside that it can feel like your career is not progressing, I'm a senior scientist and have worked for the company for 2 years, I have a further 4 years industrial experience prior to my work here and a PhD under my belt, I think it will be another 4-6 years before I can see myself being promoted, with small pay rises this does mean I do keep an eye on the job market to see if I could get better pay elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Give a stepping stone between senior scientist and APS/Team leader, etc so that it feels more achievable to move up

10. "Full time employee"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great R&D history. Promising pipeline.
    Seems the people are competent but they are not always placed on environments where they can perform

Cons

Highly political and fragmented, leading to the status of non-performing or dysfunctional teams.
    Talent management and promotion are not always co ducted in a fair way.

Advice to Management

May need some structural changes in some areas. Need to improve leadership of many middle-senior management,

11. "Process Leader"

Current Employee - Process Leader in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Process Leader in Macclesfield, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca (More than a year)

Pros

There are great development opportunities for individuals and opportunities for career progression. There is also a lot of investment ongoing in Macclesfield site that shows there is a great future ahead.

Cons

It is a challenging environment in the manufacturing area that can be stressful or quite demanding at times.

Advice to Management

Maintain the good communication with the employees and good work with assuring investment for the Site.

Showing 131 of 1,250 reviews