AstraZeneca Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Pros
  • they offer great benefits and a good work/life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Good benefits and overall culture (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance is loaded specially if you intend to develop fast in your career (in 31 reviews)

• I consider this a capital mistake in vision at the senior management level (in 25 reviews)

1. "To date I have always been treated and rewarded very postively and fairly at AstraZeneca."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Alderley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Alderley, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good facilities, benefits and great people. Opportunities to work truly globally and positive work life balance.

Cons

Depending on function, there can be limited career progression opportunities, however if you work hard, and drive your personal career development, you are typically rewarded.

Advice to Management

Really think through change strategies before initiating. Give organisational changes a chance to embed before re-thinking and changing structures/ strategies. Engage with employees in advance on proposed organisational designs.

2. "Best job I've had"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Supportive but laid back management. Interesting challenging projects to work on. Flexible working hours. I was a contractor and the pay was very good.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. No issues.

Advice to Management

None

3. "A sandwich year placement in AZ."

Former Contractor - Placement Student in Alderley Park, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Placement Student in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent support from everyone. Amazing facilities.

Cons

Concerns regarding to site relocation.

5. "Best company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Animal Technician in Alderley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Animal Technician in Alderley, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to have worked for AstraZeneca. They were always compassionate about family life and assisted with family problems. They provided me with a fare income which gave me a good standard of living. There was some mixed feeling at some points with the politics of the company but overall, I couldn't have spent the majority of my working life with a better company.

Cons

My manager always pushed me to the limits of my ability. I was rewarded as such and I new I could not have done more.
    Alderley Park is a beautiful park. with lovely surroundings. The company provided Books with nature trails, which we could take our family on at weekend. This was just one of the small benefits which they provided. They seemed to have a good interview techniques as most of the employees were nice people and mostly remained for their working life. This provided a great community spirit.

Advice to Management

I think with the business pressures . We seemed to have lost the family community spirit which we had. People were happier to give all the could and enjoy their work before performance bonuses were introduced. I remember going to work 8 - 4. But I would probably be there an hour early simply because I wanted to see my colleagues and get on with the work which I Enjoyed.

6. "Warm, good humoured place to work."

Current Employee - Process Leader in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Process Leader in Macclesfield, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The People: Friendly welcoming warm. Very knowlegeable in their field. Good wages. Good working conditions, generous holidays.

Cons

Slightly out of date processes. Averse to change and risk. Reluctance to investigate new ideas.

Advice to Management

Be brave. Explore new options.Shake things up a bit.

7. "It was the most amazing work experience i have ever had in my total career"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Luton, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very supportive caring and fun company to work for, always make public holidays fun and the product launches are well informed .

Cons

I was in a department that got oursourced to a third party

8. "Very good experience"

Former Contractor - Communications Manager in Alderley Edge, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Communications Manager in Alderley Edge, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional and collaborative working environment. Aligned goals and objectives and genuine team working.
    Real opportunity to shape your own role and take on projects that stretch you professionally.

Cons

The usual challenges with a global matrix organisation. Getting on board, understanding who your stakeholders are and so on takes a while.

9. "Over all ver good experience"

Current Employee - Manufactoring Operator in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manufactoring Operator in Macclesfield, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is very good pay and only 7.40hr per day

Cons

sum bad managers, working early late shifts

10. "Industrial Placement"

Former Employee - Industrial Placement in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Industrial Placement in Macclesfield, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible experience - offered me great exposure to a range of roles at the company. Lots of research experience as well as compiling data and regularly presenting work.

Cons

Difficult if you ended up on a project you weren't interested in.

11. "Excellent company, but lots of work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alderley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alderley, England (UK)

Pros

Really open culture with quite a flat hierarchy. People generally want to do the right thing and while the ways of working can be long and boring, at least there are processes that are mostly being adhered to.

The top leadership is very good (Soriot really turned it around) and there was a clear direction for this company which was clearly communicated to staff. Also nice that the employee survey results are actually acted upon. The values at AZ seemed to me to be more than just meaningless words on paper.

Cons

While I was around, resources were so tightly squeezed that I was working flat out and could barely keep my head above water with work.It started to make me ill. The management had taken on a load more work and hadn't recruited more staff to keep up. We were expected for months to soldier on and also make improvements.

Advice to Management

Allow people to move around departments more - especially people in manufacturing to go to global roles and vice versa. It is always to complain about those from another area without understanding where they are coming from.

Also if there isn't enough time in the day to do the day job, then there won't be much time for improvement work, nor much-needed fixes. Sometimes you need to invest resource (preferably not overtime) in order to improve processes.

Showing 131 of 1,248 reviews