Astronautics Reviews | Glassdoor

Astronautics Reviews

Updated February 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

"Company performance and quality of life"

Pros

Great people to work with at the middle management level. Some of the exec staff (new outside the family) are great at keeping realism in the company

Cons

Nepotism in the executive management rank drags the company down. Picking up a shiny penny only to avoid some one handing you a dollar is a problem.

Advice to Management

Start looking at the big picture and stop casing every Penney you see. The reality may change with this Improved behavior. Too much time is being wasted on go nowhere opportunities, thinking the company is sticking it to the competition. Management philosophy leads to no new business or just take a contract just for revenue that is unprofitable.

"Challenging work, fair treatment"

Current Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

- Decent work life balance (most of the time)
    - Flexibility with working hours to deal with occasional personal matters
    - Opportunities for career advancement w/ tuition reimbursement
    - Convenient location close to downtown
    - Casual work attire (jeans OK)

Cons

- Management would rather save a few bucks rather than buy tools to help people get their job done
    - No telecommuting (unless its for overtime)
    - Products are cool, but very slow pace of development with lots of processes
    - Silos between departments
    - Engineering is the dog wagged by business development and operations tail
    - Frequent poor planning by upper management leads to crises for everyone else
    - Layoffs every few years - employees are used & discarded when convenient

Advice to Management

Keep working on making the company modern. I dream of the 90's, but not for my workplace.

"Stay away."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Astronautics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good for just out of college experience, but don't make it your career.

Cons

- Nepotism x 1000. All the upper management is either born from or married into the owners and CEOs families. Unqualified family members are promoted aggressively over more qualified people. If someone has a Director/VP title or better, just look at the family tree.
    - HQ is basically located in a crime scene. Employees have been car jacked at gun point just trying to leave the parking lots. Security guards are routinely mugged. It says a lot that they have a parking lot that's about 1.5 blocks from the building. HR will get all upset with you if you decide to just walk and not wait for their van to come pick you up and drive you that 1.5 blocks to the building.... which comes to the next point.
    - HR lies like crazy. YES they have security write down people's license plates as they come and leave the parking lots. YES the HR department is right in the front of the building and they watch out the windows and note people coming and going. They lie about the crime in the area. Just don't believe anything they say. Employees are on a "need to know" basis. They would save a lot of sweat and anguish if they just bought and implemented card readers and treated "security" less like grade school hall monitors and tattle tales.
    - salaries are 20%+ less than the competition in the city
    - 401k has very high fees
    - they keep family members on salary after they have "retired"
    - never feel secure. they lay people off with zero notice to them or even their direct report, and they'll do this to 20+ people at a time gutting project teams. I've seen it happen where they just call all 20+ people to a conference room and just hand them an envelop and say "this is how you apply for unemployment".
    - When you leave, don't count on getting any kind of recommendation from anyone there. They have a policy where current employees are not allowed to give recommendations.

Advice to Management

You might think your kids are super great, but getting fresh opinions and ideas might also help. Be more upfront to employees in general. Finally move HQ to a safe neighborhood.

"It's not an adventure, it's a job. But a fairly decent one."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Astronautics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Astronautics is not a bad place to work. The people are pretty decent. Atmosphere is usually pretty laid back. There are some very smart people here with lots of learning opportunities. Also some pretty cool projects to work on. Pay and benefits are reasonable. If you want to just settle into a comfortable position and coast along, this is a pretty good place to do it. That probably explains why there are so many long term employees here.

Cons

Be prepared to stay in one position for a while. If you do take on some project responsibility, don't expect to see much financial gain out of it. Also, the area is very depressed so its not the kind of place you would be proud to show off to your friends and family.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to get a better location but its pretty understandable why we just stay here. New facilities are expensive and with an uncertain economy, things are much more secure where we are at. My advice to management would be to just tell people that instead of dangling the carrot of a new building when the subject comes up. Also, coming up with some job descriptions and job titles that indicate some career progression would be a good way to help boost morale.

"A changing workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Astronautics part-time

Pros

They build some exciting things.

Cons

Some of the personalities are difficult.

Advice to Management

Limit the amount that some personalities can influence the actions of other departments.

"Interesting work, but company policies from the fifties"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Astronautics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting aerospace projects, and your work will make a noticeable contribution.
    Balance between large projects and smaller short term ones, keeps the work fresh.
    Managers are approachable and easy to work with.
    Coworkers mostly enjoy their jobs

Cons

The neighborhood is terrible. Do not feel safe outside the building. In fact the guards have been mugged in recent past, and an employee mugging seems to happen every few months. There have been a dozen reported shootings in the last 3-4 months within a mile of the building.
    It is difficult to get the tools needed to do your job. I have been known to take work home so I can design on tools I have there, such as Visio. Recent policy is to avoid free utilities, but there is no process to acquire needed tools, like good text editors, hex editors, python, etc.
    Upper management has been traditionally tight on supplies as well. This has been loosening up in the last few years, but it can still be hard to find something as basic as a binder clip.
    Pay seems stagnant. Many folks I speak with have seen 1% raises in 4 years. Benefits are a bit skimpy.

Advice to Management

You have a good engineering group. You need to concentrate on letting them do their job without interference and work instead on leveraging that work into new contracts.

Training should be encouraged and ongoing, not something the employee is expected to do on his time and dime.

"Astronautics"

I worked at Astronautics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people in engineering. Great products to work on.

Cons

Outisde of engineering, purchasing, manufacturing, finance, HR want to create petty little fiefdoms. They are not a large company but they want to create paperwork and obstacles like they are.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineering department they are the best part of the organization. Ideas are difficult to sell. Too many people are in risk averse, don't rock the boat, coast mode. Even ideas that provide over 100% single year return on investment are rejected.

9. "No 2 jobs are exactly alike makes for interesting work."

I worked at Astronautics full-time

Pros

Excellent people to work with. It's a fast pace atmosphere.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

"Thank you for laying me off"

I worked at Astronautics full-time

Pros

Made some friends who I still talk with. The layoff forced me to move out east and make real money. I enjoyed messing with them when they tried to get me back in a year after layoff.

Cons

There are so many I cannot count. Management does not believe in quality. They worry so much about money they are actually losing money due to their cheap decisions. They are in a very dangerous location and refuse to move. Incompetent people get promoted if they have a relationship with the owners or the board. They also promote young people who have no business being in management. Thus, why the products aren't any good. And, all the really good people have left, well, most of them.

Advice to Management

Quit. Close the company. You really don't care. Stop squeezing blood out of a stone.

"manager talked to me only once"

I worked at Astronautics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't have anything to mention

Cons

I don't have anything to mention

Advice to Management

please treat the consultants just like direct employees