Asuragen Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Asuragen President and CEO Matt McManus
Matt McManus

1. "Awesome place to work at"

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Austin, TX

I worked at Asuragen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. Learn a lot of things and challenging work.

Cons

You're responsible for your own career progression and finding the places and teams that are doing the stuff you want to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Make more employee friendly policies, I know you guys have started in this direction but there is a long way to go still.

2. "So bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Asuragen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were cupcakes once, and they were delicious.

Cons

Badly managed, horribly run and everyone is underpaid. Also, they will sabotage your chances if you try to leave. I've worked at chain restaurants who treat their employees better.

3. "Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Asuragen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company once created a truly collaborative, functional, and all around great place to work (under the previous CEO and senior management team).

Cons

I echo all the negative statements posted here. The March, 10 2017 post from the Sales Manager was spot on (Sales People Stay Away). The company develops products in areas where no growth company wants to develop products and the products are usually missing key customer requirements/input. The leaders of the company create a hostile work environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Quit posting fake positive reviews on websites such as Glassdoor

Apr 10, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

As you might imagine, responding to online, anonymous posts is difficult. What I can do is share my own experience, as well as what I hear from our employees via surveys, formal and informal ... More

"Why I'm Excited Every Morning"

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Scientist I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best way to gauge the quality of a work environment is to compare it to other experiences. I would say that all my previous positions have been given me great experiences. Never have I had conflicts with management or my peers. However, finding an organization that passionately believed in reciprocity between a company and its employees had been extremely difficult. My previous jobs either limited my creativity or failed to provide me opportunities to master skills I would need later in my career. Asuragen has been a blessing in the form of a biotech company. Every day presents new & interesting challenges and problems for me to work through. As I walk up to my car after work, I ultimately feel a sense of purpose and accomplishment that had been absent in my career until now. I'm extremely grateful to be here!

Cons

When I joined the company, I was fully aware that I would be working over the 40hrs/week quota. This is partially a side-effect of loving what I do; however, I occasionally feel overworked when deadlines are present.

Nov 16, 2016 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you taking the time to share your experience -- and for the thumbs up! It's evident that you are engaged and energized by the work you do. We are fortunate to have such a talented and ... More

"Unfavorable experience"

I worked at Asuragen full-time

Pros

There are a handful of good people who “try” to look out for the employee.

Company is not afraid to spend money on redecorating the office space or purchasing the latest technology.

Cereal, water, and coffee provided.

Snacks and beer provided at company meetings and events.

Cons

Micromanagement at a level I have never experienced in my career.

Management is very likely to berate employees in front of peers if a mistake is made. This was witnessed multiple times.

There is no "team" atmosphere.

Stress level that makes it near impossible to look forward to coming to work.

Management and Human Resources who will make a commitment in writing, not adhere to the documented commitments, say a mistake was made, and reissue modified documentation to go back on their word days later.

Daily morning 15 minute “stand up” meetings turned into hour long detailed meetings. This eventually grew to include late afternoon meetings to discuss what work was performed since the morning meeting.

You are expected to work longer hours than agreed upon. Expect to be questioned / berated for leaving at 5pm. Others are allowed to regularly leave between 2-4pm with no repercussion.

Favoritism displayed across the company.

Advice to Management

(CEO and HR) - When an employee comes to you to express concerns, try to really listen and act on it instead of ignoring and hoping it will get better on its own.

(Mgmt) - Try to treat your employees as assets to your organization instead of worker bees who should keep their heads down and mouths closed.

Policies should apply to all employees and not just to a select few. This is especially concerning when there are discrepancies within the same department/team. Favoritism was clearly exhibited during my tenure with the company.

Nov 14, 2016 – Head of Human Resources

Wow, this is tough feedback. Although difficult to hear, we are listening and always looking for ways to improve. Thank you for caring enough to share both your experiences and some advice on how to ... More

"meh"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer and food at company meetings and stuff. Most of the employees are pretty nice.

Cons

They claim you can move around or up, but you really can't. I have tried to move up or to a different department, and it is pretty much just not allowed.

Aug 29, 2016 – TA

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience. We are working very hard to build an engaging environment where our team feels valued and empowered and has the opportunity ... More

"Decent Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Asuragen full-time

Pros

Excellent, intelligent, and hardworking staff. Good location for most commuters. Work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

Small company-- future prospects not solidified. Too few employees, and perhaps an overly selective screening process leaves positions unfilled and more work than can be done for the folks there.

"Science drives products that help patients"

Current Employee - R&D in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - R&D in Austin, TX

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Scientific excellence, technical savvy, product planning, development and execution, R&D productivity and team dynamic, business development and regulatory, vision, strategy, and style of new CEO

Cons

Weak strategic marketing and portfolio planning, sometimes siloed communications, historically poor leadership and subpar culture in Services division

Advice to Management

Right the ship in S&M

"Apathetic management, disorganized structure, & wasted potential"

I worked at Asuragen full-time

Pros

Some brilliant minded co-workers, who are just as friendly as they are exceptional. Regular get-togethers to endorse company culture, mostly laid back office environment. Fair amount of PTO, great benefits.

Cons

Management is either listless or unable to address the needs of their employees. Way below par on pay & bonuses; does not reflect the cost of living in Austin. Employees are expected to wear many hats, which is acceptable and understood at times, but incentive and praise from management is void in this expectation. Across the board, everyone is not treated equally - different things are okay for different people. Corners are often cut, & resources are scarcely given to overwhelmed departments, but generous to others. Employees often fall under the umbrella of Supervisors unaffiliated with the department that individual resides in, thus, creating a situation in which the Supervisor has little say or power to change the employees needs or concerns. In the last five years, the company has endured two rounds of lay-offs, creating an environment of uneasiness, and low employee morale.

Advice to Management

Have a clear comprehension of what your employees do. Each individual in upper management should be able to fully grasp what those under their umbrella do on a daily basis. Recognizing this will assist in making better informed decisions that directly affect the employee, and not necessarily the manager. When it's obvious the company is waning, employees should not be treated as adolescents and soothed with ice cream trucks, BBQ's, and parties. This is in no way professional incentive, & this logic is confusing when negative large scale events happen (such as a lay-off). To change, listen to the employees you hire instead of following the same, failed routine.

"Great potential squandered"

Current Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Asuragen full-time

Pros

The lion's share of the company's success occurs where the tires meet the pavement. The company has (and had) some brilliant scientists and amazing, talented, and tireless individuals supporting the development, manufacture, sale, and support of the company's products and services. The company maintains its reputation by being tight-lipped and limiting external communications.

Cons

Most employees are undervalued by management, overloaded, and underpaid by industry standards. Several individuals in key positions have far too much authority and are not questioned when decisions and policy changes are implemented. Challenging them results in negative labels and additional roadblocks to progress and productivity. Too many projects, too few resources, a lack of focus, and an unwillingness to triage until it's too late, compromise the success of the company and demoralize it's employees. Company core values are simply a subjective tool to compromise annual employee merit increases; it is common knowledge that senior management aren't honestly held to the same standards. The company maintains its reputation by being tight-lipped and limiting external communications, which could be interpreted as a facade.

Advice to Management

Surround yourself with intelligent individuals, and then listen to them. Really listen to them. When you make a decision, don't waffle later. If the decision was sufficiently educated, it should be very difficult to reverse. Understand that it takes years to move a novel concept from discovery through development with a dedicated team. Lead by example.