Asuragen Reviews | Glassdoor

Asuragen President and CEO Matt McManus
Matt McManus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Innovative and fun company"

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is small (~200) but it is growing quickly and which is always a good sign. Everyone I work with is down to earth, intelligent, and always willing to help if you ask for it. I really believe the senior management wants to foster an innovative and inviting work space so people can grow professionally and foster hard work and dedication for out products. They seem to really care about the well being of their employees. I really enjoy working here and would recommend it to anyone who wants to grow professionally in a fun and growing company.

Cons

Being a small company that is growing quickly can cause some processes and operations to be inefficient or frustrating when operating on a larger scale than it was intended. Hiring dedicated project managers (they are working on this) would streamline project trajectories and provide for better communication between departments. Lab managers or facilities personnel who's sole responsibility is to organize laboratory operations, ordering equipment, maintaining instruments would allow the research and development teams to actually focus on their tasks at hand and play a more efficient role in product development.

Advice to Management

More PTO/work holidays/etc. This may seem obtuse, but previous biotech companies I have worked for allowed for much more time off which made for more dedicated employees and more efficient use of their time when they were in the workplace. Those companies took on a more european approach to work life balance which seemed to significantly increased productivity and appreciation for the company. Other companies do things like half days on Fridays, or 9 or 10 hour workdays so the business is closed every other or every Friday off so employees can spend time with their families/go to the DMV. Think about how much money we could save on electricity!

2. "High turn over"

I have been working at Asuragen full-time

Pros

Smart people in Research and Development- but are we working on products that have any significant upside in sales

Cons

High turn over rate- especially in the sales team. I have never seen a company that loses valuable employees and so many- surprised the Board doesn't ask Senior Management why the turn over rate is so high. If you are considering joining investigate and ask questions!

Advice to Management

Several employees have been invited into a conference room and 15 minutes later are walked out- some of these have worked here for many years, I question all the glowing reports I see- the internal feeling is different.

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people / team of people at Asuragen are a great group, dedicated, hardworking, engaged, friendly and helpful. Management is accessible and make an effort to implement business and employee friendly policies and decisions

Cons

As the sayings go, keep it simple stupid and if it ain't broke don't fix it. The strong knowledge base of the employees can and is stymied at times by the implementation of 'the next great thing'. There is a tendency towards constant innovation, which is not always driven by best practices / research and is instead seems more driven by the desire to change things. More trust in what employee's are saying are the best ideas or what is most useful / needed, and less belief that this 'new idea' will revolutionize or improve the business / culture. Needless and frequent changes and overbearing policies create an sense of distrust and instability and in turn lowers productivity and an employee's sense of security.

Advice to Management

Clear communication is necessary, which is often done, but not always. Input from employees about issues that directly affect them should have the highest priority when making decisions, rather then dependence on the greatest ' new idea'; meaning there should be a preponderance of evidence / reasons for implementing the 'new idea' over voiced objections. Streamlining meetings, or making them much more regular and thus predictable (if company wide meetings or trainings occur, only on Fri mornings, meeting free Tuesdays to allow for uninterrupted work days).

4. "Awesome place to work at"

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Austin, TX

I worked at Asuragen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. Learn a lot of things and challenging work.

Cons

You're responsible for your own career progression and finding the places and teams that are doing the stuff you want to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Make more employee friendly policies, I know you guys have started in this direction but there is a long way to go still.

Jul 10, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback and sage advice. We can never lose focus on our team members and eliminating any barriers in the way of achieving our fullest potential.

5. "Home based field sales employee."

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great support resources to assist with highly complex fully kitted assays.
    -Strong leadership at the top.
    -Executive team willing to get our there in front of customers.
    -Small Sales group. We all get along great.
    -Asuragen Fully kitted assays blow the competition away. Best in class workflows.
    -The best molecular development scientists in the business.
    -Competitive base salary.Fair bonus compensation.
    -Tech support at Asuragen is the best I've ever experienced. Excellent follow up to completion. Highly skilled group led by someone who really cares about our customers
    -Hiring more sales people in the field is good. More feet on the street.
    -Much better HR support in last year. Better recognition programs to reward top perfomers.

Cons

-Slowly becoming more of a commercial organization. A few bumps along the way but that's what it's like working for a small growing company.
    -Need to get more folks in the field listening to customers but that's on us sales people
    -Some turnover but that is expected. Sometimes it's hard to keep good talent because folks get lured away by grass being greener thinking.

Advice to Management

Hire more sales people. More calls, more opportunities = more sales.

Jul 10, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience - both what we're doing well and where we need to improve. Your suggestion is right on target as we continue into another year of growth.

"So bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Asuragen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were cupcakes once, and they were delicious.

Cons

Badly managed, horribly run and everyone is underpaid. Also, they will sabotage your chances if you try to leave. I've worked at chain restaurants who treat their employees better.

"A good work environment, a positive trajectory"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are friendly, helpful, and easy to work with. There are a lot of great scientists and smart people in Research and Development. The company is growing and seems to be on a positive trajectory. Contrary to other reviews, I actually find the senior management to be pretty open and interested in my success and perspective. I also appreciated that my unique skills were taken into account in order to allow me to contribute to a wide variety of projects, even outside my department. I also think the benefits here are quite good.

Cons

One word: communication. I often find that different departments and individuals are on different pages as far as project timelines, approach, and goals. I think that more effective communication would also address some of the issues mentioned elsewhere. This can make it difficult to plan and execute.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, it will become increasingly important to address communication issues. I think we need to improve the way decisions are made as far as project deadlines and prioritization, and make sure that key individuals down to the project leads from each department are involved in those decisions.

Apr 12, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

I strongly believe that the viewpoint of every member of the Asuragen community has value. The perspectives of individuals that have joined the company relatively recently, like yourself, are... More

8. "So Much Promise, So Much Disappointment = Look Elsewhere!"

I worked at Asuragen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people working in the "trenches". Heritage from Ambion is definitely a plus.

Cons

The previous negative reviews are spot on:
    Upper management is out of touch with reality - definitely not held to the same standards as the rest of the employees, not trustworthy, and lacks knowledge of customers, competition, and market (especially in pricing of products!).
    Lack of communication and collaboration between departments.
    Below par on pay and bonus/commission.
    Weak strategic marketing and portfolio planning.
    Absolutely NO professional development.
    Constant restructuring.

Apr 10, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

First, thank you for your feedback. Understanding the experience of current and former employees is very important to us at Asuragen. It’s a privilege to work with outstanding people who are so... More

9. "Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Asuragen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company once created a truly collaborative, functional, and all around great place to work (under the previous CEO and senior management team).

Cons

I echo all the negative statements posted here. The March, 10 2017 post from the Sales Manager was spot on (Sales People Stay Away). The company develops products in areas where no growth company wants to develop products and the products are usually missing key customer requirements/input. The leaders of the company create a hostile work environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Quit posting fake positive reviews on websites such as Glassdoor

Apr 10, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

As you might imagine, responding to online, anonymous posts is difficult. What I can do is share my own experience, as well as what I hear from our employees via surveys, formal and informal... More

"Salespeople - Stay Away"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Asuragen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong R&D with well respected products.

Cons

Unfortunately, Asuragen does not seem to value their sales organization as a true profession or skill, but rather a necessary evil. In the eyes of this brain trust, their assays are so great that they sell themselves; why should we give salespeople a cut?
    Constant restructurings and sales management shuffling should not give you confidence that any sales situation is lasting, valued, or safe.
    Company culture at Asuragen is such that R&D and Scientists are worshiped, and salespeople are a distant afterthought. If you manage to over-perform at Asuragen, you will not feel as though Sr. Management is happy to give you your commission check. Earn too much, and they'll look to move you.

Advice to Management

Word is out in the industry that the highest quality salespeople should not gamble their sales careers or reputations on an organization that doesn't value salespeople. Inject some stability and reward your earners - not just with cash but with respect.

Apr 10, 2017 – Head of Human Resources

I can’t help but feel disheartened to read about your experience. I joined Asuragen just over a year ago as the commercial leader. Part of my decision to make the move was the collaborative work... More