Asurion Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Asurion CEO Kevin Taweel
Kevin Taweel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility of schedule (Work from home) (in 141 reviews)

• Depending on the project work life balance can be vary (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be an issue if you let it (in 63 reviews)

• Work schedules no work life balance (in 24 reviews)

"Great if you've got a thick skin"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy solving complex problems, and my job gives me ample opportunity to do work I love. I've been pretty consistently recognized when I've done good work and gone above and beyond.

Cons

Work is intense, and direction can change on a moment's notice. Due to the intensity and changes in direction, the environment can sometimes be tense. Staying on one's toes is essential.

Advice to Management

Settle on a structure and how we want to go about doing business; the fairly constant shifts in structure just make people uncomfortable and slow them down while they try to find out who is doing what this particular day.

2. "Regular Private Corporation (Minority issues abound)"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Asurion full-time

Pros

Good pay
    Fast pace
    Interesting projects
    Worked there for years if you can keep on their good side

Cons

Not very friendly for advancement to upper management leadership if you are a minority of any kind.
    Unless you are "in with the boys" you'll never make it far and if you'll be on their short list when the firing begins
    If you are minority and "stay in your place" you'll be fine but don't rock the boat there are only a privileged few that can do that
    Unwilling listen to advice from lower levels (again unless you are buddies)

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and just do things by the numbers

"Fast-paced, great benefits, interesting work"

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Asurion values motivated employees who are willing to push the envelope and who thrive in a high energy environment. The atmosphere is generally collegial and collaborative, and the benefits are great. Compensation is at or slightly above the market average. The company also has a strong focus on corporate social responsibility locally, and it's growing company wide. Employees are surveyed (a lot), but it does seem like feedback is considered.

Cons

Politics and who "owns" what is continually a problem. At the director level and above, leaders can be territorial and exclude other teams at the risk of having to share success. This has led to frequent reorganizations and pivots in direction. Promotions seem to have to little do with work output and more with who you know and have positive relationships with. Not uncommon for a company this size but doesn't always fit with the image the company portrays.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the mostly positive employee experience and how it can be improved. If you continue to survey often, implement changes based on feedback and let employees know their voices were heard.

4. "Positive experience working in Asurion Corporate"

Current Employee - Creative Services Manager
    Current Employee - Creative Services Manager

I have been working at Asurion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Lots of room for growth (personally and professionally).
    -Very encouraging of training to stay up to date in the industry.
    -The people here are amazing! Everyone on my team is very supportive of each other and always willing to lend a helping hand.
    -Pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Not sure what to put here. This isn't a con for me, but this is a fast-paced company and you have to be flexible and willing to keep up. For me, this makes work more exciting.

Advice to Management

Keep looking toward the future and keep trying to stay ahead of the curve. Keep encouraging your employees to learn and grow. Keep being open to constructive feedback.

5. "Asurion - Great Company to be Part Of"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career advancement, flexibility, passionate team, supportive upper management, pay and benefits

Cons

Constant role and leadership changes

"Manager in Operations"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Asurion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work in a growing industry. Many of the people come from a strong background in lean manufacturing. Many of my colleagues are smart and talented but could not influence our boss to promote teamwork.

Cons

The hourly associates have an incentive that promotes individual performances- does not promote teamwork... thus hard to implement best practices because of the internal competition.

Advice to Management

Don't pay base on piece mill work - encourage teamwork and implement lean manufacturing practices as its intended.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The freedom to experiment and fail. I am asked for an opinion on a regular basis, with that said I am able to speak my mind without fear. I am able to use my skills and knowledge; my manager empowers me to push myself in areas that I am unsure of myself.

Cons

The performance review process could use some improvement.

"Golden Handcuffs - Lost Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Asurion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Money wasn't every anything to scoff at. They are great at providing golden handcuffs in the form of private equity and healthy bonuses when they deem appropriate. Unlimited PTO and decent benefits.

Cons

Company is 9 billion in debt, maybe more by now. Leads to very bad decision making.

Market share is shrinking as other companies create the ability to cover wireless devices. Panic mode now that the growth and money isn't what it used to be.

Poor leadership. All of the top talent was either pushed out or has left. Whoever is left wouldn't cut it anywhere else.

Though the money is good, not enough to keep talented people around when the market is hot for IT growth and leadership.

Shady big business dealings with the private shareholders. Ask tough enough questions, and they start pushing you out.

Low quality replacement devices that are no longer repaired in the US. All foreign jobs created.

Often get executives from outside, rare to be promoted from within to exec ranks.

Barry Vandervier at the helm as CTO has brought in all of his friends from previous jobs. Don't like being challenged with real questions or issues.

Company is relatively successful in spite of itself due to market share, however is dwindling with each passing year.

Bad work/life balance...bit of a sweat shop. Undisciplined pursuit of "More" constantly.

Advice to Management

Get out of your very serious debt. Get back o the core product and culture.

Read how the might fall, by Jim Collins. Take a hard look at the stage you're in.

"Great company and smart people however leadership team could improve"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Asurion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great company for entry level employees to gain valuable hands-on experience. You have the opportunity to transfer to different areas of the company to gain new skills. Team members are creative, smart and supportive.

Cons

The culture is too political and cutthroat at the manager level and above. Promotions are made based on being in the right clique vs an individual's talent. Leadership hasn't figured out how to align departments to an agile delivery model so reorganizations occur about every three months.

Advice to Management

An updated org chart and RACI needs to be communicated when org changes occur. Allow teams to self-organize if they are going to make agile work.
    Live up to the company's core values.

10. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Sterling, VA

I worked at Asurion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company with some opportunity for advancement. Great people to work with day to day. Unlimited PTO based on your Supervisor

Cons

Yearly layoffs cause uneasiness with the staff. No options until you are at a certain level within the company and there was not clear idea what that level was.