Asynchrony Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Asynchrony Labs General Manager Bob Elfanbaum
Bob Elfanbaum

Pros
  • Each project is interesting and pair programming is a great technique they push (in 15 reviews)

• Great work-life balance and benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Asynchrony practices pair programming (in 6 reviews)

• I have nothing bad to say about this company (in 2 reviews)

1. "Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture centered on feedback
    Talented, intelligent co-workers
    Responsive management
    Flat organization
    Great location

Cons

Needs more diversity (though the company seems to be actively working on this)

"Great if you're a developer. But if you're not, expect to be a second class citizen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed office
    Charming geek culture
    WWT benefits and health insurance
    If you are a developer, you will probably love it here

Cons

1. Poor behavior (misogyny, religious intolerance, unprofessionalism) is largely ignored. If you are a developer, you are allowed to get away with most anything. I have seen coding superstars continually protected even after blatantly egregious behavior:
    - Pulling up nude photos at work. The offensive developer still works at Asynchrony.
    - "There are no serious female developers." This was said in front of a female developer. The offensive developer still works at Asynchrony.
    - Having an athiest developer continually explain to his coworker that his religion is a "fairytale crutch used to make himself feel better." The offensive developer still works at Asynchrony.
    - Homophobic comments that were so over the top that my gay friend left the team. The offensive developer still works at Asynchrony.

2. If you are a developer, you are king. But if you are something else (business, QA, product ownership, UX), expect to be belittled and marginalized by company leadership and policy. Your work will often be seen as overhead, bureaucratic waste - such as defining desired business outcomes, planning, laying out phases to large projects. The general ethos is that if you just assign a pair of developers, they can do the job and do it better.
    QA testing? Devs could do it better. "We don't need QA. They just pull anyone off the street to QA."
    Product Ownership? Just let the developers code. "Planning is a waste of time. Business outcomes are noise."
    UX: "UX just makes pretty pictures" "UX can't code. They aren't real software developers."

TLDR: If you are not a developer, expect to continually defend why your role in the company is worthwhile. Both on a daily basis and during compensation reviews. Asynchrony doesn't base compensation on your performance, just on the role. If your role isn't valued, expect these conversations to be less than satisfactory.

Advice to Management

As your company grows, it will take a diverse team be successful. I would suggest making all your employees feel valuable and take quicker action against toxic individuals. Even if they are coding superstars. After being at Asynchrony for 4 years, I had hoped it would get better. If anything, the company's rapid growth has only made these issues harder to address and resolve.

Asynchrony Labs Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

It’s certainly disheartening to read your review of our company, as so many of these concerns are in direct conflict with our values and desires for a comfortable, respectful, equitable, and ... More

3. "Simply amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Asynchrony is a unique gem of a company to work for, so much so that I actually look forward to going in to work each and every day wondering what new thing I'll learn. There is a great sense of camaraderie and drive to produce the best software possible (and tests to back that up). This is a company I plan to stay at as long as physically possible.

Cons

I can honestly not think of a downside to working at Asynchrony Labs, and I'm happy about that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue to empower employees to better themselves.

5. "Found my Home"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the camaraderie I have here with my fellow co-workers. We work hard, don't judge each other, and have a great time discussing ideas and writing software. My developer skills have accelerated more in the last year than they have in the previous 5 years working in stuffy corporate america.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment if you're willing to step up and take ownership of yourself, team, and environment. The company is very pragmatic and is not doctrinaire in its approach to management or software development.

Cons

Any complaints or concerns I've had have been very, very minor and were resolved quickly. I don't really have any Cons to list.

"Flexibility"

Current Employee - Quality Advocate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Quality Advocate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer a work / life balance and don't expect more. They are a true agile, self-organizing organization that allows you to excel and doesn't interfere with what you do best. It is a flat management structure, which mean there is minimal bureaucracy.

Cons

The only downside (it's pretty great) is that they are very strict about hours spent and on what. This makes sense as they are a consulting firm, but coming from somewhere that didn't require it, it was a little hard to get used to.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I especially like how processes are not prescribed, but that you allow the employees to prescribe their practices based on the project characteristics.

"Takes care of their employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a good culture overall. Great work life balance and employees are encouraged to work smarter rather than longer, even if that means we might miss a deadline.

Cons

Software developers tend to have a specific type of personality, including myself that can sometimes make pair programming feel like pulling teeth at times. That just really means that the company has removed any obstacles in order to make your job as a developer easier. This results in the toughest part of the job being interpersonal communication rather than incompetence of your coworkers.

Advice to Management

The office currently feels like a contest between a few people trying to run the whole show at the expense of others. Try to rein them in before it causes more problems.

9. "Awesome Culutre"

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. A company that truly cares about taking care of their employees.

Cons

In the heart of down town saint louis.

Advice to Management

The company is growing so rapidly that they are running out of space. Aquire more space.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Agile development
    Pair programming
    Sustainable pace (overtime is rare)

Cons

Pair programming (if you don't like pairing, you won't be happy here)

"Love It"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaborative and agile environment. Fun atmosphere. Team autonomy. Opportunity to work on varying technology stacks. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

Commute for me is rough. 1% St. Louis City Tax.