Asynchrony Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Asynchrony Labs General Manager Bob Elfanbaum
Bob Elfanbaum

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • And I'll second other reviews that say if pair programming isn't for you, then Asynchrony isn't going to be a good fit (in 6 reviews)

• I have nothing bad to say about this company (in 2 reviews)

"St. Louis Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Asynchrony has exceptional benefits and teams full of wicked-smart people. They use new technology, have opportunities to learn and be mentored, are forward-thinking with their development practices and have a diverse yet welcoming culture.

Designers are embedded on development teams that utilize a UX person.

Feedback culture is huge- everyone (especially those higher up) are open to honest feedback and they have an honest desire to make things better. Asynchrony is honest and transparent and actually listens to it's people, something hard to find in companies this size.

Cons

The flat structure makes it hard to identify a career path and growth opportunities. From a background in Corporate America I prefer structure and hierarchy, but this different approach isn't always bad. The self-formed teams have potential for workplace drama and politics, which a hierarchy or management position could alleviate.

UX isn't always included with a team and sometimes feels like an "a la carte" service or in-house studio. I would love to see Asynchrony champion UX with the same zeal and passion as they champion agile development.

Advice to Management

Consider levels for positions, like junior or senior. Educate customer on value of UX and champion that service. Keep listening and talking with your employees and being agile!

Sep 6, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thanks for the great review and the advice.

We have started rolling out some additional leadership support in the organization over the last year that we believe will still promote autonomy of... More

2. "Asynchrony Review"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting Software Company based out of St Louis (big for the region) - team structure is very agile and heavy focus on quality (TDD)

Cons

Company needs more structure and drive to be truly successful. Over-focus on TDD and engineering quality vs. Product can lead to over-engineered solutions.

Nov 16, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thanks for the positive review! Since your review (as you probably know), we've been putting more structure in place to help people feel connected while not taking away from the team-level autonomy... More

3. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, excellent opportunity to learn, and a company that truly cares about their employees. Super proud to say I am part of this team!

Cons

None that I can think of...

4. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agile organization, from top to bottom

Cons

Company has grown so fast, that it seems like more people are being hired that maybe don't meet the cultural norms.

"Superior processes"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

True agile development, extreme programming: pairing, TDD, retrospectives, feedback, role flexibility; constant improvement, interesting and varied projects, a little bit of project management for everyone on every team, small and focused teams, wonderful work-life balanced, amazing benefits.

Cons

Some clients end up pushing teams away from one or more of the extreme programming practices that are held in such high regard.

6. "Great Place!"

Current Employee - Quality Advocate in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Advocate in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sustainable Pace work environment.
    85% transparent company ( sales, projects, etc)
    Self-organizing Teams

Cons

No clear career paths. (this is a pro and con). The company allows you to define what you want in you career, which is awesome. But, if you would like direction on HOW TO get to a certain position there is no road map.

Advice to Management

Provide rough guidelines on internal positions and open to all employees.

"Collaborative, self organized environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legitimate agile shop. We get everything we need to succeed. High level of autonomy. Flat company structure. Highly collaborative. Good pay for the area. Generally enjoyable.

Cons

Some of the people we've hired are great, others are less pleasent to work with. In a highly collaborative environment, social skills are extremely important, and it seems like we've been a bit lax on that in our hiring lately.

May 16, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thanks very much for the comments, it sounds like you're getting the benefits that we work to achieve here. As far as the difficult people, I'm not sure it's about anything we've done in the hiring... More

"Best job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you interview and join a company the standard line they feed you is, "You can make it whatever you want." Under most circumstances that is not true. Typically you can only make it what they allow you to make it under the umbrella of how far the people above you will let you advance into their territory. Here at Asynchrony the career opportunities that have been opened for me have been astounding. The career growth that has been provided to me and the personal growth that the company has helped me achieve have never been provided to me at any other place throughout my career.
    The caliber of people that you get to work with and the nonjudgmental cooperation that they work together with make it a joy to come to work and the satisfaction of truly accomplishing things together is incalculable; there is no way to put a price on it.
    The culture of helping and supporting each other is well ingrained, supported and practiced throughout the company.
    They pay everyone based on your job category and what the average spread is for that role across the country based on professional salary surveys; they are absolutely fair in that regard.
    There are very few places like this in the United States that truly takes the welfare of their people as seriously as Asynchrony does.

Cons

Only con that I can think of is that communication from upper management could be better, it isn't bad and it appears to be improving but, it could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to maintain our culture as we grow, keep experimenting with ways to manage that growth and find more ways to disseminate information about small and large issues.

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time

Pros

- Teams are truly autonomous
    - Flat organization structure with leadership highly accessible
    - Highly collaborative; success is determined by the team, not the individual
    - Great work-life balance and benefits
    - Lots of quirky, creative personalities who are respectful of each other
    - Ability to move between projects and learn new technologies

Cons

- Since the office has an open design, it can get quite loud at times. Also, due to increased growth, work areas can feel cramped for space. However, I believe they're actively working to improve this.

Advice to Management

- Amidst growth, please work to maintain a high bar when hiring for technical positions
    - Work to keep high performers at the company -- recognize that "seniority" / experience does not necessarily correlate to number of years in the industry or company.
    - Would love to see more internal / R&D projects that are not driven solely by current client delivery teams.

Apr 5, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thanks for the great review, and for the advice. Agreed that high performance does not necessarily correlate to years of experience, and we do our best to recognize that, but there's always room to... More

10. "My home for the long-haul"

I have been working at Asynchrony Labs full-time

Pros

THE best place to work in St. Louis, MO. Great projects, great people, great tech.

Cons

Employees that started with the company in the very early years have grown into leadership roles because of their longevity. Excluding the original owners, many of them aren't qualified to be leaders of an organization of this size.

Advice to Management

Replace these ineffective senior leaders.