Aternity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trevor Matz

1. "Aggressive growth and growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Aternity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, high tenure, product serves a market need.

Cons

Focusing too much on getting small improvements shipped rather than fixing big problems or adding big features.

Advice to Management

Don't expect enterprises to absorb software at the same pace as consumers.

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Aternity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good energy, dynamic CEO leading the way.

Cons

SW is for early adopters and a nice to have. Inconsistent financial performance.

"Business Development Representative"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Westborough, MA

I worked at Aternity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Despite what the prior "Business Development Representative" review says there are unfortunately not many positives to state. The fact that review sounds like it was written by the HR department does not surprise me at. Marketing and PR are what this company is all about. They do a decent job jazzing up a software that really is quite a bit less remarkable than they would have you believe. At least there is more than enough information out there for prospective clients to look at, albeit it be extremely overwritten and repetitive. Also, I would say they at least have a vested interest in your development at first, but management had very little idea on how to follow through with this.

Cons

To put it simply, this company truly does not know what it is doing. I believe the company is going to an outsourced business development model (awful idea), but if you are invited into interview for a business development representative role, please heed my warning. This company has burned through several reps, all blaming the lack of sales success on a few entry level 20 somethings. They bring you in telling you they will develop you into a great salesman, you will make good money if you stay with them, blah blah blah. It could not be further from the truth, They have never once developed a sales person internally, not once. Everyday as a BDR was a grind, where every day you were micromanaged incessantly, complete with several unnecessary meetings that you would have to attend that took away from the work you actually had to get done. Pay was horrendous when you base it off the fact that you never worked less than 50 hours a week, and much of the pay was bonus-dependent. I never saw my bonus of course because, like the many reps before me, I was let go right before the period in which it would have to be paid out. Furthermore, I was let go with absolutely zero notice, and a bogus "severance" package where I wasn't even paid the full amount I was entitled to. When I questioned this, I was given untimely responses that never explained why I was not paid to what they agreed to pay me. It was the least they could do as they let me go without warning before the ink had even dried on my offer letter.

The explanation of why the BDR team was being dissolved was lack of performance. I know many people in the software sales industry, and of course any number is never enough, but Aternity was even worse. They put all the blame on the BDR team, meanwhile the large, better paid marketing team put together failed campaign after failed campaign to bring in new business leads. In my experience, leads were almost always completely useless, and they knew this. The people that actually were interested would come to the website, fill out a form, and the lead would be given to the more senior BDR rep. The rest of us had to just fight over the other leads that were as good as cold. Cold calling and emailing clearly are not going to bring a lot of success, but again all the blame was put solely on the business development team. In an effort to meet numbers, my training was cut short, and the entire team was without a manager. Having marketing department run the team ended up being an enormous disaster. When performance slumped, no one in management had a plan to fix it, nor to take any responsibility for it. Again, the BDR position has been a revolving door. I know first hand the sales managers I represented had lost all faith in marketing being able to work correctly with sales. It all added up to a stressful and dysfunctional work environment. Life for employees outside of the BDR department must not have been much better, as I saw several different people printing out their resumes at work, and surfing job sites during my time there. My recommendation is that if you are entry level, and you do want to get into sales in the software space, perhaps you can use this company as a stepping stone. If you can put up with all the cons I described, having a little experience in this industry can open a lot of doors, as there are a lot of great software companies. Aternity is not one of them unfortunately, so I do not see how anyone would ever want to be a part of them for any long period of time at all.

Advice to Management

-Restructure the entire BDR and marketing department
    -Keep a BDR team because everyone knows outsourcing sales is not a wise decision. No IT executive is ever going to respond to telemarketers from India calling them.
    - I personally do not see a lot of success coming for this company, which is unfortunate because I did meet some very smart and good people over my time. I would like to see Aternity have success for the sake of those people, but having poor management will hold them back for any future advancement.
    - Be honest with your new hires, and pay them what they deserve. The company complains about having bad recent college grads, yet the pay well below the industry average. The hires they brought in were not actually dumb or incompetent like management would have you believe, but the company does itself no favors by offering poor incentives.
    - Getting the pay and expenses you were entitled to was like pulling teeth with this company. I am still out hundreds of dollars I will probably never see. I am not sure if it because they don;t care about their employees, the company is struggling financially, or both. If anyone from Aternity would like to dispute my claim in this review I would be happy to show you my pay sheets and emails I have to back it up.

Aternity Response

Dec 30, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Simply stated, we are not a perfect company and we do not expect our employees to be perfect. However, we do expect all of our employees, no ... More

5. "Business Development Representative"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Millbury, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Millbury, MA

I worked at Aternity (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent, supportive atmosphere. Asking questions and learning is actively encouraged. Great compensation package. Rich Connolly is one of the best HR guys you'll ever meet. Great sales "hunting" atmosphere as well.

Cons

Very process oriented, and if you miss a step in learning the process you're essentially out the door. High turnover, but that may not be seen as a con. Some meetings encompass more people than benefit from the meetings.

Advice to Management

The onboarding process could be more fluid than a rigid period of time in which all learning must be accomplished. Management is otherwise great.

6. "OK Experience."

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Westborough, MA

I worked at Aternity (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aternity has a nice product although the market is becoming more and more commoditized. Management is solid, and salaries are competitive.

Cons

The company's roots are in Israel, so much of the management is (or was) Israeli. Aternity had a habit of preferring to hire Israeli employees in the US rather than US employees. It seemed to me that Israeli employees got more opportunities than others because they spoke hebrew, etc. When I was there half of the US office was Israeli and every Israeli that worked in the US office was promoted at some point while I only witnessed one promotion of a US Employee.

I grew tired of Aternity's habit of "selling the future" and selling products that were just ideas and not in development. I did not find it very ethical, and I felt that I was being asked to mislead customers. They would sell product as if it was really for production, and once the customer purchased the product they would rush to develop it, essentially using the customer as a test case without them signing up for it.

Advice to Management

Stop preferring and promoting only Israelis. This will eventually get you into trouble.
    Don't lie to customers. Be ethical.

7. "Marketing Communications Associate"

Pros

Collaborative environment, incredible work ethic from all employees and a great culture!

Cons

At the moment, I do not have any cons

8. "Great people but poor direction and a niche product"

I worked at Aternity full-time

Pros

- Amazing people for the most part
    - Very unique approach to APM
    - Banking and Healthcare clients love the solution

Cons

- CEO's ego is out of control and ultimately creates high turnover
    - Mobile solution was supposed to create a huge new market but the requirement of how to install the solution made the market very limited
    - Customization of the solution requires a PHD

Advice to Management

Let the smart people you hire do what you hired them to do. Sales is not a cookie cutter process that is always predictable. Doing A+B doesn't not always = C. Having the CEO run sales is also what eventually lead to the company having to be sold for a poor price. Aternity was a "family" and ultimately the families of those who put all their blood sweat and tears into this business...got nothing!

9. "Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at Aternity full-time

Pros

I work at Aternity, I’ve worked there for the past few years. I’ve experienced a true team environment. The company believes in hiring, motivating and growing individuals to their potential. Aternity holds an achievable expectation and accountability which is demonstrated everyday by the Senior Executives and CEO of the company. This company embodies the “work hard, play hard” mentality. GREAT company to work for if you are a motivated individual who seeks challenges and the ability to grow and continuously learn.

Cons

At this time, I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Management is always available (almost any time day and night). Regardless what is going on, they are always happy to assist you and they are always in a great mood, great team of Executives to look up to.

10. "good"

Pros

good company to work for and flexiblity

Cons

no promotions in 3 yrs

Advice to Management

promote us employees

11. "Sales"

Pros

Outstanding management team and product, this company has a huge potential, and scales well to enterprise level deployment

Cons

HQ is too far outside of a major city and airport