Atkins Graduate Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Atkins Graduate Consultant Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2019

3.9
Atkins President Nick Roberts (no image)
Nick Roberts
  1. "Great place to learn"

Former Intern - Graduate Consultant

I worked at Atkins for less than a year

Pros

They use an incredibly high number of softwares and they use all of them equally. As a fresh graduate, although I was only able to stick around for a short while due to the decline in oil prices, I managed to learn many valuable skills. I've never seen a company use as many softwares as Atkins. Keep in mind that I'm speaking in regards to their consultancy that caters to the energy sector- I am unaware of how their... other offices operate.

Cons

Management seems to be slow about getting work around the office. I had no control over how much work I had, and there would be times where I simply sat down and did nothing for several hours, or even days at a time, while my colleagues were all busy. Management does a lot more of their own work than actual management. Perhaps I disagree with the company philosophy which may be significantly more effective than how... traditional businesses run, but from my experience it seemed to favor senior employees and leave new ones on the back burner.

Advice to Management

People were being hired for a string of 6 or so months, even 2 months into the market crash. There was not enough work for all of these people. Should definitely consider slowing down the hiring process if the work is as heavily tied to the economy as it seems to be.

Atkins2015-03-02

"Good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Graduate Consultant

I have been working at Atkins full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance & holiday allowance Nice colleagues Reasonable responsibilities

Cons

Poor office environment Long projects Little training

Atkins2019-08-20
  3. "Great early careers opportunities"

Current Employee - Graduate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Atkins full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great diverse, friendly and intelligent co-workers, and projects working with people from different departments. Relatively flexible hours and holiday. Wide variety of projects so you can take many different paths even within the same team/role. 6 monthly pay review. First one was pretty generous with roughly 5% raise. Chance to work with senior staff early on, and they really value your input.... London office is brand new and really nice facilities for cycling in e.g. great showers with towel service, secure bike storage.

Cons

As a graduate, interesting work is often mixed in with more basic admin work, though usually only a few hours a week. Grad scheme lacks set formal technical training, but that does depend which department you're in. You have to search them out your selves. Few grand lower salaries than other consultancies

Advice to Management

Make training options more obvious to graduates.

Atkins2019-06-20
  4. "Great place to work. Relaxed and options available"

Graduate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Culture of the staff is to have fun but work hard too always people on hand to help and collaborate

Cons

Clients can be limited if you sit within specialism. Can be left on the bench for a while if you aren’t proactive

Atkins2017-12-19

"Dont value staff"

Graduate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Atkins for more than a year

Pros

If you want a cushy job with very little pressure Atkins is the place for you.

Cons

The senior management don't understand or value all parts of this complex business. Constant shareholder Pressures.

Advice to Management

Understand that there are good people not being fully utilised.

Atkins2016-05-12
  6. "Good company"

Graduate Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Good company culture and work life balance is excellent

Cons

No clear direction of your career path, but opportunities are there

Atkins2015-07-14