Atkins Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Nick Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance, often having to work late in to the evening to complete work (in 16 reviews)

• senior management/overhead to remote from teams (in 23 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Atkins is a Great company and opportunity.

Cons

Not much room for promotion.

"Drainage Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Atkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, plenty of work.

Cons

Company not interested in employee's career growth.

"No Support from Senior Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office environment is very pleasant, with nice employees. Flexible hours... It felt good to go to work everyday.

Cons

Management wants you to win projects and contracts, but are not willing to offer a whole lot of support. Their internal procedures are their own worst enemy. The reporting structure sucks, with managers in other states making go/no-go decisions, but have no idea of the local climate. Their internal reporting requirements are their own worst enemy. I wasted my time their, trying to market for a company that seemingly doesn't want to win.

Advice to Management

Get a grip, and come back to reality with your strategies. Offer your middle management some support. Change your internal procedures to benefit middle management a little more. Bunch of talking heads and nothign more.

4. "Great company, recruits and retains sharp, talented, and all around good people."

Current Employee - GDP Engineer I
    Current Employee - GDP Engineer I

I have been working at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic, driven manager who has been a very positive influence and a great role model.

Cons

Not challenged enough as a young engineer.

"Employees leave because of management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were hardworking and wanted to do their job well but weren't given the support or tools to do so.

Cons

Terribly unorganized, the good ole boy network is very strong, unethical decisions are made to ensure the money keeps rolling in and there's absolutely no accountability. Unless you are disliked then you'll be held accountable to rules that don't apply to everyone. (I was liked so I wasn't treated this way but I saw several examples of it.) The corporate (not local) HR group is incompetent, lazy and turns a blind eye to problems.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure where to begin. The issues lie at the local management and executive level as well as the corporate executive level. With the current purchase of Atkins by SNC, Lavalin, the company has become too big for the problems at the local level to be full recognized or addressed.

6. "Review"

I worked at Atkins full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, flexible working

Cons

rather bad a resourcing, tight control structure

7. "Great"

Current Employee - Survey Data Specialist II in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Survey Data Specialist II in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager is really helpful and eager to point you in the right direction to move up in the company. It is a quiet and relax work environment and deadlines are very easy to meet

Cons

I don’t have anything to say bad about the company or the workspace it is a very solid company to make a career in.

"Great Job, watch your back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Atkins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule and reasonable vacation time.

Cons

After 10 years I found I was still the lowest paid in the entire group and everyone was brought on at higher rates than me. As a manager, I didn't think that was quite fair. Quite a bit of age discrimination and watch your back! Other employees are out to show you up and use you to climb the ladder. No matter who you tell, you will receive little to no help about it.
    Also, there is absolutely ZERO HR presence! Very few paid holidays. Crappy benefits. Very few bonuses and basically no raises, ever.

Advice to Management

Really focus on the people that have been loyal versus the people "playing" the company!

9. "Everything depends on your manager"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist

I have been working at Atkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, fair salaries, it appears they promote from within, but that depends on your manager like so much does.

Cons

Everything advertised is pending manager approval. In my case, there are no opportunities for working one of the 5 flexible schedules, no opportunity to benefit from the companies tuition reimbursement program, no opportunity to attend company activities due to the need to stay billable, and it’s incredibly hard to get the necessary safety equipment since it counts against overhead, which is a reflection of the manager. I’ve noticed other groups (within the same office, but different manager) have a totally different work experience. So it really depends on who your manager is.

Advice to Management

Value your people and understand that if you don’t make work life balance, and a positive work experience a possibility, it’s just a matter of time before they leave.

10. "Decent Firm with Growing Pain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average compensation package in the industry, diversified business portfolio and decent job stability

Cons

Actual technical strength mismatches with firm size: There are 35ish big name fellow engineers making 140k not being able to do much of any work (design or manage) in our main business line - transportation projects. Shall we worry that our clients would eventually find out our strength and performance when they see our work? No worries of course if we are not selected for the work. That happens but we don't want see that happening too often.

Advice to Management

As firm becomes part of a bigger firm, we try to attack on larger and higher profile projects. Perhaps hiring or keeping the wrong people perhaps is a mistake the firm made many times. Do not stretch someone without proven strength to fill a position he/she is not qualify, pay more to get the qualified ones.