Atkins Reviews | Glassdoor

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger
Uwe Krueger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance, often having to work late in to the evening to complete work (in 16 reviews)

• senior management/overhead to remote from teams (in 21 reviews)

1. "Was lied to about a lot"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly

I worked at Atkins as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid a lot for the job that I was doing and I got free lunch when I got hired

Cons

Total joke of a job. I got hired as an intern to work on an out of the office job. Was told I’d eventually move to the office and they were checking to see for any open positions. It eventually became obvious that I was being lied to in order to keep me working. Supervisor kept on baiting me by saying “when you graduate...we’re looking and we’ll let you know next week”

On top of that, management was a mess. Pretty disappointed considering that Atkins has such a good reputation.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees

"VP"

I worked at Atkins full-time

Pros

Fairly few. Company is UK based and has little to no understanding or appreciation that the US market is significantly different.

Cons

Very little strategic thought. Execs fairly incompetent.

"Project Director"

Former Employee - Project Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, large company with diversity of projects and clients. Nice offices. Interesting projects.

Cons

Super high turn over of staff, causing major problems with projects, clients, profitability, and employee morale.

Advice to Management

Matrix organization and business development strategy is not working. Need to retain good staff.

"Sr. Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Atkins full-time

Pros

Hard to think of a positive, flexible hours would be the best.

Cons

Minimal benefits, lack of cohesive business development, poor management at all levels. No guidance provided by senior level staff.

"Degrading and demoralizing leadership"

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non-executive personnel are hardworking and supportive. Receptionists, engineers, designers, analysts, etc. These are the people who help make each work day tolerable.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, stressful, demoralizing.

Executive level / upper management have created a demoralizing and toxic environment for all involved. They will humiliate their staff members with no hesitation and are condescending and hostile. Some executives have been reported to HR countless times with no action taken. At Atkins it isn't about the people - it's about being a member of the good ol' boys club and doing whatever it takes to make money and intimidate anyone who gets in their way.

Advice to Management

Management IS the problem. Atkins in the United States is a mess. The same problems and lack of compassion and respect toward low to mid level employees will always continue because that's what the organization allows.

"Very disorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

I've searched...but I have nothing to put.

Cons

The job responsibilities changed daily. The US HR department is worthless.

"Trying to leave quickly!!!"

I have been working at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not any. I am trying to leave asap. Any positive reviews on here are plants by HR or Managers. Beware of any positive. It does not reflect the truth

Cons

Well, if you are American, don't bother. It is all Brits and they hate Americans. I've never run across a more racist group. Their clients hate them in America and they will not be around long!

Advice to Management

You have let go the people who could have helped you. Just close up and leave our country please.

"The worst career experience in 30 years"

Pros

can't find any, the pre hiring looked organized but on first day you get hit with the awful reality

Cons

hostile work environment, employees are treated not on merit but on racial/ origins and whether they fit into the big wheel or not!

Advice to Management

look at your competitors and learn

"most negative, toxic, and bitter work environment I've ever been a part of."

Current Employee - Senior BIM Technologist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior BIM Technologist in Orlando, FL

Pros

guys in the trenches keep trying

Cons

Seems like some of these review are inauthentic - how can a company be perceived as "the most negative, toxic, and bitter work environment I've ever been a part of." by one person, then an anonymous employee (probably in marketing) says Atkins "Really Cares for its employees." Then another review is skewed to appear positive when in fact it is very negative with severe sarcasm: "Atkins is definitely a top firm." - said no one in Houston."

"In response to the review "Absolutely awesome company to work for""

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

"There isn't any negativity, and everyone is always willing to share work" - False. This was the most negative, toxic, and bitter work environment I've ever been a part of. Line managers constantly throw people under the bus for their own mistakes. This is a "fend for yourself" workplace.

"Support for success from the senior leadership team is definitely tops!" - haha, did HR write this review??

"An employee can actually carve their own path for success." - There were no career paths at Atkins. Management would continually take people who were very technically sound and try and "round out" their talent by taking them off the technical tasks and making them fill out BMS forms. They have a false idea of what real project management is.

"Good performance is also recognized." - the appraisal process was the worst I've encountered in all my years in the industry. If you were a British male, you would be recognized. Good performance is recognized if you sleep your way to the top.

Cons

"Atkins is definitely a top firm." - said no one in Houston