Atkins Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger
Uwe Krueger

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is poor - employees work way beyond the contractual (in 11 reviews)

• Feels like a retirement club at senior management level of practices (in 16 reviews)

"VP"

I worked at Atkins full-time

Pros

Fairly few. Company is UK based and has little to no understanding or appreciation that the US market is significantly different.

Cons

Very little strategic thought. Execs fairly incompetent.

"Project Director"

Former Employee - Project Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, large company with diversity of projects and clients. Nice offices. Interesting projects.

Cons

Super high turn over of staff, causing major problems with projects, clients, profitability, and employee morale.

Advice to Management

Matrix organization and business development strategy is not working. Need to retain good staff.

"Sr. Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Atkins full-time

Pros

Hard to think of a positive, flexible hours would be the best.

Cons

Minimal benefits, lack of cohesive business development, poor management at all levels. No guidance provided by senior level staff.

"Degrading and demoralizing leadership"

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non-executive personnel are hardworking and supportive. Receptionists, engineers, designers, analysts, etc. These are the people who help make each work day tolerable.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, stressful, demoralizing.

Executive level / upper management have created a demoralizing and toxic environment for all involved. They will humiliate their staff members with no hesitation and are condescending and hostile. Some executives have been reported to HR countless times with no action taken. At Atkins it isn't about the people - it's about being a member of the good ol' boys club and doing whatever it takes to make money and intimidate anyone who gets in their way.

Advice to Management

Management IS the problem. Atkins in the United States is a mess. The same problems and lack of compassion and respect toward low to mid level employees will always continue because that's what the organization allows.

"Very disorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

I've searched...but I have nothing to put.

Cons

The job responsibilities changed daily. The US HR department is worthless.

"Trying to leave quickly!!!"

I have been working at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not any. I am trying to leave asap. Any positive reviews on here are plants by HR or Managers. Beware of any positive. It does not reflect the truth

Cons

Well, if you are American, don't bother. It is all Brits and they hate Americans. I've never run across a more racist group. Their clients hate them in America and they will not be around long!

Advice to Management

You have let go the people who could have helped you. Just close up and leave our country please.

"The worst career experience in 30 years"

Pros

can't find any, the pre hiring looked organized but on first day you get hit with the awful reality

Cons

hostile work environment, employees are treated not on merit but on racial/ origins and whether they fit into the big wheel or not!

Advice to Management

look at your competitors and learn

"most negative, toxic, and bitter work environment I've ever been a part of."

Current Employee - Senior BIM Technologist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior BIM Technologist in Orlando, FL

Pros

guys in the trenches keep trying

Cons

Seems like some of these review are inauthentic - how can a company be perceived as "the most negative, toxic, and bitter work environment I've ever been a part of." by one person, then an anonymous employee (probably in marketing) says Atkins "Really Cares for its employees." Then another review is skewed to appear positive when in fact it is very negative with severe sarcasm: "Atkins is definitely a top firm." - said no one in Houston."

"In response to the review "Absolutely awesome company to work for""

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

"There isn't any negativity, and everyone is always willing to share work" - False. This was the most negative, toxic, and bitter work environment I've ever been a part of. Line managers constantly throw people under the bus for their own mistakes. This is a "fend for yourself" workplace.

"Support for success from the senior leadership team is definitely tops!" - haha, did HR write this review??

"An employee can actually carve their own path for success." - There were no career paths at Atkins. Management would continually take people who were very technically sound and try and "round out" their talent by taking them off the technical tasks and making them fill out BMS forms. They have a false idea of what real project management is.

"Good performance is also recognized." - the appraisal process was the worst I've encountered in all my years in the industry. If you were a British male, you would be recognized. Good performance is recognized if you sleep your way to the top.

Cons

"Atkins is definitely a top firm." - said no one in Houston

"Military type leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having many disciplines in one office was a great experience for growth. Som of the PM's eager to share their knowledge. The benefits were very affordable.

Cons

Location of the office is very undesirable. Lots of traffic and very few options for lunch. People don't leave companies, they leave management/leadership. My supervisor was pompous, arrogant and thankless. I'm not sure how he and his side kick got in the building with heads as big as theirs.

Advice to Management

The company needs to provide more management training for their managers and be more aware of how their employees are being treated.