Atkins Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance, often having to work late in to the evening to complete work (in 13 reviews)

• senior management/overhead to remote from teams (in 21 reviews)

"Project Director"

Former Employee - Project Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Atkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, large company with diversity of projects and clients. Nice offices. Interesting projects.

Cons

Super high turn over of staff, causing major problems with projects, clients, profitability, and employee morale.

Advice to Management

Matrix organization and business development strategy is not working. Need to retain good staff.

2. "A great place to work."

Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Atkins (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of great people to work with. Also the company really cares about its employees.

Cons

Very corporate type of landscape. Lots of red tape to cut through for simple tasks.

"Not like it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Poor compensation and they nickel and dime you. Typical publicly tradded company. Based in London, they don't really get it over here.

4. "Engineer I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work with great people you can learn from

Cons

Nothing i can think of

5. "Very Efficient"

Former Employee - Graduate Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Atkins full-time

Pros

They trained me very well.

Cons

Too much of Micromanagement was the problem.

6. "Good company for benefits"

I have been working at Atkins full-time

Pros

Benefits, PTO, Co-Workers, Locations Worldwide

Cons

Too Bureaucratic, At times it feels like you need approval for insignificant tasks.

"Most unrewarding job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Generally the people I worked with were some of the most amazing, skilled, hard working and technically competent individuals I have ever worked with. The office space where I worked was also beautiful. Unfortunately the Pro's end there.

Cons

Turnover - Atkins has an incredibly high amount of turnover and it got even worse when the economy got a little better. Turnover was so high in California that they had to close a few offices because there was just no one left to work in the buildings they were leasing. The high turnover also made it difficult to deliver successful projects. Inevitably everything I was working on was a hand me down from some other project manager that quit and the budget/deliverables were all over the place. This lead to a "left holding the bag" situation where I was being put on notice by Atkins management and clients for either being over budget or not delivering products on time. By the time I left I was so battered by clients and internal Atkins management that I had mild PTSD. I apologize to anyone that took over the projects I left them. Trust me I know how you are feeling. Get out while you can!

Management - There were some great senior managers that were trying as hard as they could to "right the ship". The good ones didn't last long only because a person can only take so much beating down by clients and corporate management that they quit. This lead to some desperation hires and promotions of staff that were under qualified and unfit for that sort of job. Other regional managers were working in satellite offices halfway across the state/country and were just warm bodies. None of the regional directors I worked with were in anyway helpful to my struggles and clearly did not listen to my suggestions (or if they did they ultimately had no power in their job to act on these suggestions).

Administrative Duties - Sometimes I felt like Peter Gibbons from office space where I was getting called by 5 different people about the same thing. Usually about my budget forecasts. Forecasting was such a brutal monthly exercise, that depending on the number of projects you were managing, could take a full day to complete. Also why was the forecasting left to staff? Was this time billable? Not a chance.

Better Options - The economy is in a better situation and if you can get hired at Atkins, you can get hired somewhere better. Take the time to look elsewhere. I definitely took part in downplaying the issues with Atkins to potential job candidates just because we needed the help. Be wary of what you are being sold.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is to spend some money to fix the retention issues. The way you guys are handling this is like using bubble gum to stop a dam leak. I understand you are beholden to investors but most employees aren't going to care about making investors happy. Especially when raises are few and far between, and I wasn't aware of any performance bonuses. Here is a quote from office space that pretty much sums up how I feel about Atkins:

"Now if I work my [butt] off and [Atkins] ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now."

8. "could be better, but decent company"

I have been working at Atkins full-time

Pros

not much time required outside of your schedule, flexible schedules, can work from home occassionally

Cons

there is a severe lack of recognition of skill, and an overall communist approach to sharing work instead of assigning one person per project for the entirety of the project. working in consulting means you are billed per hour, so there is a lot of client time and money wasted at atkins because of ridiculous policies. just moved to a new location, AKA the cube farm. the office is now one open concept room with very limited desk space and 2.5' cube walls on 2 sides. no privacy, full of distracting noises and people moving around

"Not the firm it used to be. Went from "Consultant of Choice" to choosing to get rid of half of its clients"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Atkins is great at recruiting (though poor at retention), so you are surrounded by highly skilled coworkers with great resumes. Their great resumes mean they can win and you can work on some once in a lifetime projects. The poor at retention aspect means you will have opportunities to step into leadership rolls on projects that you would not get at most other firms. Beware of getting tagged with the clients' dissatisfaction over staff departures though (it's hard to make a client happy when they are on their third or fourth project manager).

Cons

In order to meet the profit margins promised to its stockholders, Atkins is transitioning to a firm that only serves big clients or mega projects. Atkins is dropping its smaller clients by the 100's. If your specialty is big or even "mega" clients, Atkins is the place for you. If not, use opportunities from the high staff turnover to build your resume. But get out before you get the reputation of not being able to deliver finished projects to the client's satisfaction (because your project team members keep leaving). Find yourself a niche at Atkins where you can bill 40 hours a week to one project or client will keep you from suffering the weekly conversations about being more billable.

Advice to Management

Your clients purchase your people's time. If you see and treat your people as replaceable your clients will see your firm as replaceable. In fact, they already do.

10. "Scientist"

Former Employee - Scientist in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Scientist in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Atkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atkins is a great company. Benefits are good, management is good, people are treated fairly and rewarded for hard work.

Cons

I cannot think of many cons related to this company, I only left due to the office's location not being in an area convenient for me to commute to.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, you have a great company with great people!