Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group CEO Brian Holland
Brian Holland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Monthly lunches catered by the company, and an employee appreciation month where you can win great prizes and use water guns on your coworkers" (in 12 reviews)

• "Everyone is helpful and a work/life balance is encouraged" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "years is the growing pains from rapid expansion" (in 4 reviews)

• "No one dared to asked him for shorter meetings" (in 3 reviews)

"VP of Strategic Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are well more than a number, upper management listens to and responds to concerns in a timely manner- team members are treated well.

Cons

This is a career- there will be trials and tribulations like any career.

Advice to Management

Keep up listening to input from your teams that are performing!

"Working for the best department at Atlantic Bay"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Working in the IT department at Atlantic Bay is the best. We have clear direction and a great work environment. There is always more to do, explore and grow and we are given the opportunity to do so. Our main goal is to keep the employees of Atlantic Bay working as efficiently as possible - something we work at every day.

Cons

Layoffs are hard. We understand and are on board with the back to basics ideal of Management, but the layoffs have been hard and unsettling

Advice to Management

Everyone should be able to spend a month with our network manager. There are lots of jobs out there right now, but we stay because of the leadership of our team. If you ever get a chance to work for ABMG IT - it doesn't get better than this.

"COO Promise Needs to be Updated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free vending, free water, free ice, free coffee, free plates, spoons, forks, etc., free aspirin, tylenol, and ibuprofin, birthday off, free onsite fitness classes, birthday treats once a month, occasional departmental team building experiences, HSA contributions, close to interstate and shopping, bonuses, people can bring their kids and dogs to work every day, casual dress code, some people allowed to work remotely, annual dressy gala

Cons

losing family feel, back office positions have little room for growth or development, remote work policy is inconsistent (meaning that some people are allowed to work from home whenever they want and others who have the same pay grade and job function are not), increased micromanagement, people in leadership positions who should not be in leadership positions, no one to really talk to if you have an issue or problem (HR is NOT for the employees), open work space is not for everyone, cliques in operations, increased restructuring and layoffs, owners create special positions for people they know or family members, losing sight of what really matters, some members of management make allowances for their friends that they don't allow others on the same team; Not enough PTO time to account for illnesses or weather emergencies - one serious illness or snow storm screws your time off for the year.

Advice to Management

The recent negative reviews are not a fair representation of how people feel about the layoffs and productivity. They were an attempt to single out people they felt did them wrong. Not everyone who got laid off was sitting around all day or incompetent. The positive review was a bit inflated and written to bury the negative. That said, here's my advice - Please revisit your promise that if you work hard and are good at your job, you'll go far. It needs to have "if you are in loan production" added, to be fair. The company used to care about its employees and treat everyone like family. In the goal to purchase a bank and run with the big dogs in the business, you've lost sight of that and good people become a casualty. People who did work hard every single day and who were loyal to the company are being laid off. The severance is appreciated but it feels more like hush money to keep us from filing lawsuits or publicly blasting the company. A person who has worked 1 day gets the same severance as someone who has worked 6 years. You don't take into consideration that not everyone has a second income in the household, or has a support network. Or, can take a lesser-paying job. People are at risk of losing the homes you helped them finance. You don't offer the hard-workers another position within the company. Karma has a way of finding its way back to companies that run roughshod over employees and I believe your karma, sadly, will come with the Atlantic Bay Bank you are pursuing. Bank examiners scrutinize frequent layoffs, especially when those laid off were long-term employees who had experience that could have been used with the bank function. You've opted to keep less-experienced employees because they made less money. They are not loyal. They will find another job and walk away without a care the minute their feelings are hurt, while those you let go would have stood behind you for decades. You're about getting back to basics and reference your humble beginnings a lot. Ask yourself - if your dad worked his tail off every day, and one day, they handed him an envelope and a box and walked him out, how would you feel? Especially if you found out that they replaced him with a budget-friendly version who had little to no experience and wasn't loyal? I wish you well. I hope you'll really get back to what matters some day.

Aug 15, 2018 – Digital Strategist

As a company that started from such humble beginnings, we absolutely understand the difficulties in keeping the small-town, family feeling as the company continues to grow. And we are always looking... More

"Just to set the record straight"

Pros

I know there have been a lot of recent posts from disgruntled people who lost their jobs but from a current employee, I have to say that these reviews are so far away from the truth. While it is always sad to see people lose their jobs, by their own admission they were not doing any work and were grossly over staffed. There is always work to be done no matter what. And if someone chose to not take the initiative in their down time and cross train with other departments so that they could better their knowledge and help with their recruitment and training by actually learning about other departments, then that sort of seems like a reflection of their own personal work ethic. I think it’s a PRO that management does not breathe down your neck and micro-manage. Instead they give you the freedom to accomplish your tasks using your own path to execution. But for someone to complain that they say around all day and gossiped because no one told them what to do is a little ludicrous. In my current role, managements goals are effectively communicated to me, I am given the tools to accomplish my tasks, and then it’s hands off! They let me go out and execute in a way that works best for me.

Yes we do have technology that doesn’t always work out, but I also think it is a pro that the owners and management aggressively pursue new technology and platforms to try and be on the cutting edge. Things don’t always work out as with all new initiatives, but we have seen so much upgrading of our systems, communication, enterprise software, and even live conferencing that allows us to still stay in close contact with our peers even as we grow outward into new areas of the company. I love that leadership is constantly trying to be proactive and lead the industry in new technology instead of being reactive to the whims of the industry. This is mortgages people——the only constant is change! So people should be prepared for that coming in.

I know that losing staff is never an easy thing but trust me there is way more fat that could be cut. And it’s there because of the unbelievable loyalty of the owners and upper management who want to give everyone a chance to be successful as much as possible. Unfortunately even after giving people multiple chances and departments to work in, sometimes it still doesn’t work out. As a current employee I applaud management making tough decisions, that while may not be popular are in the best interest of our company. It’s never a bad thing to cut underproducing staff, instead targeted downsizing of non production based departments is allowing us to increase resources in operations and sales that helps the company grow. We are consistently hiring new underwriters, processors and closers along with other operations staff even in a challenging rate environment.

Growth is amazing! We have had our best months ever for multiple departments and total mortgage production! If you want the opportunity to be a part of a company that is a leader in the industry and known for quality, then this is the place for you! Yes there will always be growing pains with growth, but leadership has gone above and beyond to try and limit as few of those growing pains as possible through experience, knowledge and even some very hard learned lessons about who and what we are vs what we are not. There is a ton of opportunity here for those that are looking for a pathway to success. But nothing is ever handed to anyone and you have to go out and take it on your own!

Cons

I do think that we could improve our communication about current initiatives in the works. There is a lot of things currently in the works now that we have not had an update in in a while such as our purchase of a bank. Without that communication, people are not exactly seeing the big picture in the works. Less motivational videos on Fridays and more communication about company initiatives would be appreciated.

I would also like to see perhaps a profit sharing option being offered, if we complete our purchase of the bank, so that all employees can be fully vested in the future of our company. There are many people that love the company but have no desire to grow. If you can’t incentivize people with opportunity for growth, then you need to find an alternative way to highly motivate people. Highly motivated people are the best employees and allowing people to share in the success of our company could be a great tool. I know this was mentioned by the CEO as a potential thing on the horizon but I have not heard anything since then.

Advice to Management

There are always places for improvement in every company and I love that you continue to try and find places to grow and improve constantly. I would prefer that we get up and take our swings every single day than to watch opportunities pass us by as we get caught looking at called strikes. But keep the focus on what we do best- mortgages!!

Keep up the good work!

"Small-Minded, Intimidated Leadership Equals Bad Experience"

Former Employee - GLAD to BE GONE
    Former Employee - GLAD to BE GONE

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started out as a great job. Awesome team and talent. Seemed like a family atmosphere. Fun events and free snacks.

Cons

Horrible management. Poor leadership was like a cancer among excellent staff causing apathy. Never ask questions because insecure leaders can't handle someone who thinks for themselves. Small-minded people who lead throngs of others in this company hold back talent due to fear.

Advice to Management

If you want this company to grow and be a force in the mortgage industry, get rid of your small-minded leadership and put people in place who are secure with their skills and abilities, and can build others up to success, even if it means being better than their leader. Getting rid of cancer sometimes means cutting off body parts. It might hurt, but it has to be done to sustain life. Otherwise, continue the mass layoffs and pretend nothing is wrong.

Aug 15, 2018 – Digital Strategist

We feel it's unfair to group all management into one bucket, however, we appreciate your review and experience. We've sent your words to our leadership team for consideration and wish you nothing but... More

"Poor Stability throughout entire Company"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Was once a pleasant and stable place to work.

Cons

Very toxic working environment. Poor decisions made by management on a daily basis causing poor morale and worry.

Advice to Management

Senior management need to be more involved/aware on what decisions department managers are making day by day.

"Be Careful"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits, nice people to work with, officer perks, etc.

Cons

Lay offs. Without notice.

8. "Sales"

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Great operations and marketing teams.

Cons

Sales management direction was confusing .

"Worst Technology in the business"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are nice.

Cons

Technology is from the 80's; Managment is flakey.

Advice to Management

Rip the bandaide and ditch Byte!

May 3, 2018 – Digital Strategist

Sorry to hear that you are so dissatisfied with our technology offerings. We are currently undergoing several updates in and out of Byte that will help to alleviate many of the frustrations you may... More

"Great company!"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

I love the environment that this company gives. We work hard and play just as hard. That's rare to find in a company these days. Managers are always approachable and advancement is not far fetched if hard work is put in.

Cons

Trying to grow to fast.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!