Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group CEO Brian Holland
Brian Holland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company perks like vending machines/ employee appreciation weeks/etc" (in 14 reviews)

• "The snacks are cool but free snacks don’t make up for the many things that are missing" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "You can be told you're doing a great job one day and then let go the next day for no reason" (in 7 reviews)

• "They have some growing pains as they continually try to tailor their company to fit the growth" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Grow a Career"

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

I worked there for 3yrs. and they are without a doubt one of the better companies out there. They treat you with respect and transparency. I was with ABMG when they were going through some growing pains and they did a fantastic job at keeping the culture of a family business. I wouldn't have left, but I had to move. You get plenty of days off and PTO for your birthday. They will match a portion of your 401k as well. There is room to grow if you are eager to learn and the open door MGMT policy is a huge plus.

Cons

They hit a snag with technology a couple years back, but as I was leaving they were making huge corrective strides around that dept.

Advice to Management

Keep following the strategy you have in place now. The changes made are setting the right course for growth and success.

"Love it"

Current Employee - Loan Processor
    Current Employee - Loan Processor

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Follow through on what is communicated. Teamwork oriented.

Cons

Nothing as of yet and I have been with them over a year.

"OK place to work."

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great bonus structure and you get your birthday off.

Cons

Remote culture is still developing - a bit of an "us" versus "them" mentality.

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Not sure anymore because they’re getting rid of everything that made ABMG unique.

Cons

I’ve never seen a company stray so much from its core values. Brian is a great guy but Stan has a very spastic method of doing things and it’s showing. Nobody feels safe anymore. Departments lay everyone off and then start hiring again. People are misled, undervalued, and underpaid. Free snacks don’t make up for what has happened there.

Advice to Management

Let someone else be the COO. The writing is on the wall and if you don’t believe it just go ahead and sniff through everyone’s Skype messages.

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Corporate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very dedicated to having the strongest employees. It’s so refreshing to work with smart and hard working people. There is genuine caring for the team as well as those less fortunate. There is paid time off for volunteering. I really enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons

PTO is pretty limited and in the first year or two.

"This company is absolutely the best."

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best leadership I’ve ever been involved with. Truly cares for each employee. Very involved with giving back to our communities.

Cons

There are none! I really cannot think of anything negative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you’re doing. It’s extremely effective!

"By far the best company I have ever worked for. By FAR."

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Actually cares about and appreciates the employees. As long as you do well and have a positive attitude, this is an awesome place to work!!!

Cons

Communication could be better between departments, but this has been improving!

"Marketing - Avoid - Everyone who you could learn from is gone"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Employee Appreciation Events and free snacks

Cons

Honestly, this department was always fairly disorganized. I have had multiple managers in my time here and have lived through many layoffs. This clearly makes people distrusting and uncomfortable. Many of us are looking for other jobs because we don't want to be here anymore.

But more than the layoffs, they've stripped the department of all leadership. I'm pretty green (and also not that expensive of an employee). Anyone who had a lot of experience (and probably made a higher salary) they laid off in one round or another. I don't have anyone to learn from anymore at all. We're doing boring projects. There's nothing cool to work on. Basically all the reasons (and most of the people) that I came here for are gone. If you want to just do repetitive, tedious work, then this Marketing department is for you.

Advice to Management

All the things other posts have said...don't hire and fire so much. Get some management in here with relevant experience.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group (More than a year)

Pros

Company perks like vending machines/ employee appreciation weeks/etc.

Cons

Pay was horrible
    Upper management had NO strategy / and when they did come up with one they changed their minds and wasted employee's time and energy.
    Large layoffs are pretty much guaranteed ...3 or more in the last year?

Advice to Management

Get a strategy and stop wasting employees time.
    Stop overhiring.

"Service"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

There are many good people here. I’m sure that some of the departments have less issues but it’s not what I hear about on any given day. The snacks are cool but free snacks don’t make up for the many things that are missing – morale and consistent smart leadership. I wish you luck Atlantic Bay.

Cons

I have spent a long time with Atlantic Bay. In this time, I have seen huge growth but also mismanagement and very large reductions in morale. It often seems that top leadership doesn’t think through decisions before moving forward often with disastrous results. I have seen at least SEVEN top department leaders (Directors and Vice Presidents alike) be fired or quit in a 3.5 year period. (There are more, I’m sure.) I know people who have gone through boss after boss – sometimes not even having clarity on who their boss actually is.
    In addition to the constant leadership changes in multiple departments, huge layoffs have occurred at least three times in IT, Marketing, Facilities, Training and Administrative departments. While layoffs are a part of any business, the very top leadership seem to make poor choices that cause these to happen repeatedly. (If you don’t have the funds to maintain new departments, don’t start them. We all know that interest rates fall and rise and that we cannot assume consistent results in the real estate market year after year.)
    All of these layoffs make people fearful that maybe they are next. It also causes large gaps in knowledge and unfair situations for those who are left on the job.
    There is also a lot of negative sentiment and blame. I’ve heard leadership say direct quotes and then never ever follow through on those promises. It’s a sad thing. Even Sales leadership often isn’t optimistic about the leadership of the company. I am seeking other employment because I just don’t believe in the leadership anymore.
    And while they have “cleaned house” with some of the leadership, there are still people in leadership who behave very badly on a regular basis. These people just happen to be close to the owners and so are protected despite very unprofessional behavior.

Advice to Management

Please stop hiring if you are only going to do another round of lay offs. Please be more careful who you put into leadership so you don’t have to constantly fire them. Maybe consider a new person to run the day to day of the core business units that has outside experience and isn’t an owner. The owners have made their money – go enjoy it instead.