Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group CEO Brian Holland
Brian Holland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Monthly lunches catered by the company, and an employee appreciation month where you can win great prizes and use water guns on your coworkers" (in 12 reviews)

• "Everyone is helpful and a work/life balance is encouraged" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "years is the growing pains from rapid expansion" (in 4 reviews)

• "If you are a loan officer that relies on the company to provide business for you, this isn't the place for you" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

I love the environment that this company gives. We work hard and play just as hard. That's rare to find in a company these days. Managers are always approachable and advancement is not far fetched if hard work is put in.

Cons

Trying to grow to fast.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Sales"

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

Great operations and marketing teams.

Cons

Sales management direction was confusing .

"Worst Technology in the business"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are nice.

Cons

Technology is from the 80's; Managment is flakey.

Advice to Management

Rip the bandaide and ditch Byte!

May 3, 2018 – Digital Strategist

Sorry to hear that you are so dissatisfied with our technology offerings. We are currently undergoing several updates in and out of Byte that will help to alleviate many of the frustrations you may... More

"Best Career Decision I've Ever Made"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Before I joined Atlantic Bay, I was so frustrated that I wanted to get out of the mortgage industry altogether. I was a high producing loan officer but had to go to incredible lengths on every loan just to get it closed on time. Atlantic Bay changed my life. The loan process here makes sense and gives me more time to do what I do best... build my business. In addition to the best Ops team in the industry, they also provide support to help me grow and manage my business.

The relationship between Sales and Ops here is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Prior to Atlantic Bay, it was always combative. It took me a while to adjust to not arguing with my underwriter. Here, you truly work together and build relationships with your Ops team. You rely on them so heavily that you need to have people you can trust.

If you are reading this and looking to make a change, do yourself a favor, call someone in leadership and learn more about the company. You won't be disappointed.

Cons

If you are a loan officer that relies on the company to provide business for you, this isn't the place for you. And that isn't a knock on the company. That's a knock on the people that come in and think that by showing up, they are entitled to business. You have to work hard to be successful. They will give you all of the tools and support you need, but it's up to you to be successful. But unlike other companies I've worked for, at Atlantic Bay, the sky is the limit.

My only regret is that I didn't join sooner. I would have saved myself a lot of headaches and retained some of the realtors I lost because I couldn't get out of the office to see them enough or close their loans on time.

Advice to Management

Never lose sight of what makes us great and what our core values are.

Mar 6, 2018 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your kind words, and even more importantly, all of your time with the company. Glad you were able to find your home here!

"Highest Interest Rates on the Market and low comissions splits"

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

They gave me a really good guarantee when I started.

Cons

Commission is less than what is promised and they nickle and dime you on each loan. I was sold on all this marketing support and then they fired the entire department. The operations staff is really junior and the work that would be done by a processor is somehow split into 5 jobs. Also your sold on each mortgage bankers having your own underwriter, processor, and closer. This does not occur. No lead support whatsoever and a non-existent sales leadership team. Also the rates are about 1.5 higher on FHA and at least a point on Conventional.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth when bringing mortgage bankers into your system. The company actually isn't that bad but when your promised so much it's impossible to not be let down when you join and none of that stuff happens.

Apr 11, 2018 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your time and review of your experience. We do our best to stay as competitive and fair as possible to both our team members and clients while adapting to industry changes. And because... More

6. "Good People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people work there, fun and relaxed culture, casual dress. Month long employee appreciation!

Cons

Went through a lot of changes that weren't always enjoyable and or smooth

Advice to Management

communication is key

7. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have an amazing work life balance, they are very understanding of everything. They treat their employees like family and have so many amazing benefits

Cons

I honestly don't have any cons

"Self-Serving Leaders"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They try to create a fun environment.

Cons

In my opinion the Charlotte leadership team does not create a supportive environment and only has something to say when you make a mistake. I felt the office did not want anyone of color to look really good and feels threaten by anyone that is outspoken. Effective leadership starts in the heart. Your heart controls your motivation, your intent and your leadership character. The Charlotte office lacks this true leadership. Ken Blanchard said: “I travel around the world, and I’ll say to people, ‘How do you know whether you’re doing a good job?’ The number one response I still get is, ‘Nobody’s yelled at me lately.'” He went on to say that if he could only teach one thing it would be to develop great relationships. He advised that to develop great organizations you have to wander around and catch people doing the right things and then praise them in front of everyone. That statement reminds me of Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group environment. Management was not knowledgeable of certain programs and always pushed you on another individual. Bigger companies such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo recognized their employees better than Atlantic Bay Mortgage. This should not be difficult considering how big the company is. I can count on one hand on how many people of color are in a leadership role.

Advice to Management

Please hire Servant Leadership- servant leaders really want to build leadership in their group. They have no problem with someone rising up. They don’t mind sharing leadership. Internal Growth Will Allow The Company to Grow and Become Stronger. "Each One Teach One"

Mar 5, 2018 – Social Media Brand Coordinator

Thank you for your time with the company and writing this review. We take your words to heart and are sorry to hear that you felt that way during your time on the team. We’ve made sure this was seen... More

9. "Love it"

I have been working at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

I've been with ABMG for almost 5 years, I've never seen a Management Team and Owners care so much about their employees before!

Cons

open office is nice, but it can be loud

"A fine place to work."

I worked at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group full-time

Pros

The company seems to treat their employees well with little things here and there like free snacks and prize drawings. There is some flexibility in daily schedules and there is a lot of freedom in dress code. I would recommend the company to those seeking employment with the exception of those looking at the marketing department.

Cons

Management (including C Suite) is young and not necessarily experienced or prepared for the growth they are seeking. Confidence is put in department managers that don't understand the mortgage or real estate industry.

Advice to Management

Controlled growth needs to be more of a focus, allow for folks to have a voice that have experience instead of those who know how to work the system. The leadership's inability to have a true direction has caused many people to lose their jobs.