Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "good"

Pros

pay rate is good to start

Cons

the hours can be tough

"Specimen accessioner"

Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner
    Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner

I have been working at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Great coworkers
    Plenty of things to do
    Learn something new everyday

Cons

You must be fast paced constantly
    You may be reprimanded for mistakes which can be intimidating.

Advice to Management

Maybe show a little more appreciation to your employees like treat to breakfast, lunch or dinner everyone few months or have prize giveaways.

3. "Forensic scientist"

I worked at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time

Pros

I just wanted it to show that ADL changed comments on every review from saying we were all disgruntled previous employees to just former employees. They were correct with us all being disgruntled and I can assure you there are a lot more than just the people who left negative reviews.

Cons

The people who even work there currently hate the company. Take my word for it, if not feel free to send me your resume when you leave after a few months

Advice to Management

Get it together. Work from the top down to make the company better.

May 17, 2018

This reviewer is a former employee and the Company will not engage in any negative dialogue.

4. "If you desire a career in chemistry/science, go elsewhere. (UPDATED)"

I worked at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time

Pros

The overall staff I worked with were good people, though they could get a bit "cliquey." If you are looking to get quick access to HPLC work, even if you have basically zero experience, you will find it here.
    If you can stick out the job they do promote fairly quickly, and the base pay isn't awful.

Cons

Most important CON: They practice VERY BAD science here. I have nearly a decades worth of mass spec/HPLC/science experience outside of this job... I wouldn't trust any results from this place. They have multiple practices that would have them shut down if the likes of the FDA had oversight of them (the FDA does not have oversight here, there are a few agencies that do inspect them but clearly they have far lower standards). When I told several former supervisors, several with doctorates, and a combined century of experience in chemistry/science/QC/pharma, they advised me to 1)Quit immediately, 2)Call whomever is the oversight agency and "expose" them.

So point blank, if you want to have a career in science, your experience here will likely give you experience and training that will set you back severely at another job. I began looking for a new job the first week I worked here. I figured I could still maybe learn some skills of value from the position; but gave up on that by the month mark. I ACTIVELY tried to stop learning because of how poorly they practice science. One coworker actually made a joke about how slowly I was learning the job and I had to bite my tongue to keep from responding with "Yah, because I don't want to un-learn the RIGHT way to do this."

Some Specifics: Including the entire length of an LC baseline with a peak in order to bump the peak up to a certain desired value (think pass/fail drug test or standard check). Alternatively cutting out large portions of a peak in order to get it to a desired value less than it's actuality. Failing to factor sample weights into quantitative tests. Horrifically poor lab skills (use of beakers, pipettes, grad-cylinders, etc at the level of someone who hasn't finished Chem-101). They standardize their LC systems once per week and check those standardizations once per day (every other industry I've been in standardizes daily and checks at least several times a day... pharma standardizes every test and checks every 6 samples).

Other Issues:
    -Their Scheduling practices are absolutely stupid. 2 days on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, or something like that, with long shifts (I believe 10 hours), and every however many months they change you from 1st shift to 2nd shift or vice versa. I presume their goal was to spread the misery of 2nd shift around, but this is an awful way to accomplish that. 3rd shift uses a regular 8.5 hour schedule.
    -Benefits and time off are pathetically low for a non-temp job. Time off is also very restricted.
    -Training program is an absolute joke (this goes hand-in-hand with how poorly they practice science). I had three different "trainers" give me three different ways to do the same test on three consecutive days. When I asked for clarification from a supervisor they told me to go find the SOP, which listed yet a fourth method.

UPDATE: I have to laugh that they went back and put that I was a disgruntled former employee with my previous review (which has now been archived, but you can see it in it's entirety here, I copy/pasted it). I never had so much as an argument with management in the entire time I worked there, and the owner loved me. He wished me the best of luck and told me to call him if I ever needed anything in my last week (and I dutifully worked my entire two weeks).

There were a couple of individual co-workers I wasn't fond of; but I never had the trouble with management or ownership that others have listed. Nor did I leave the position because of any disgruntled response based on poor treatment (perceived or actual).

I left very primarily because they practice poor science here. The work environment and poor benefits (PTO, insurance, etc) were all secondary.

Advice to Management

Spend more time fixing your lab than trying to deride former employees for calling you out.

May 9, 2018

Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories, LLC. (ADL) stands behind our results and our Scientist who run the test. We also stand by our validation process and our training of new hires. ADL is an accredited... More

"Do no work here, it is not worth it"

Former Employee - Forensic Scientist in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Forensic Scientist in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely no pros with working here. I am only writing something here because I am required to. I wish i could give this place negative stars.

Cons

Just about everything. Where should i begin?

The job is a joke. The company is a joke. Pretty much everything about this place is a complete joke.

The science is flawed. Some SOPs were validated and I have no idea how. Nobody actually teaches you how the actual instruments work. You are just taught how to load samples and analyze them and a lot of the staff cannot explain a single thing other then that. They "troubleshoot" the instruments by banging them with a hammer... I would not trust a single result that leaves this place. The quality controls are run once a day and a lot of the controls are "forced" meaning manipulated to make them work... instead of them just working because the instrument is calibrated and working properly. The lab is small, dirty, dark, and not welcoming.

Some of the staff are good people. The management, however, is an absolute nightmare. The owner also freely yells at his employees all the time. The managers and supervisors pick and choose who they like and talk about their staff members constantly (to members of the staff that they are supervising). It is extremely unprofessional. If a manager does not like you, you know because the entire lab does. Things are communicated to shifts in the most unprofessional ways. People are openly talked about in front of other employees. It is extremely "cliquey" and the supervisors and managers join in on that.

The work load also increases all the time and you are expected to do more in the same amount of time it took you to do less. I started with less clients and when i left they probably had 5+ more clients. This increased the workload and management still expects the same amount of people to do double/triple/quadruple the work in the same amount of time. If you call out or take off everyone freely talks about you and sometimes the managers decide to switch your shifts.. without warning. You are not allowed to have a life outside of this place according to management. The shifts do not allow you to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Every two months first and second shift switches and third shift works like weeks on and then weeks off and barely has time to take a lunch during their shift. If you do take a lunch, the rest of the shift resents you.

I could go on about how awful this place is. Basically, no amount of money or differential is worth the mental and physical sacrifices you must take to work here.

Advice to Management

Change management. They are unprofessional and the turn over rate is SO high because of it. The entire work environment needs to change. The forensics department should probably just be outsourced because nothing about this department is organized or efficient.

"Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Bensalem, PA

Pros

My experience with ADL has been wonderful since the day I got interviewed! If I could give 10 stars I would. This is a family run company and their values make employees proud to work for the company.

Cons

I don't have any cons so far!

"PLEASE THINK TWICE!! HORRIBLE!!"

I worked at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay rate and insurance benefits

Cons

Everything good about this company comes with a VERY HIGH price!! The company is run by family who change the rules everyday. If you make a mistake, be prepared to be screamed at with MAJOR profanity so loud and so hard, that they are literally spitting in your face (They do it in front of whomever happens to be around) with threats of losing your job. They will humiliate you.! You will walk on egg shells everyday you work here! I’ve seen them fire workers over the phone and by mail. Very unprofessional place to work! I am SO sorry I left a great place to work here!! HR department (1 person) is horrible.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like the dirt on your shoes!! Form a policy and follow it, Stop playing favorites,

Apr 26, 2018

Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories, LLC. takes all allegations seriously. Please contact the Human Resources Department or someone in upper management to further discuss your allegation of management... More

8. "To much"

Former Employee - Mobile Phlebotomist
    Former Employee - Mobile Phlebotomist

I worked at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay use to be great

Cons

Pay rates changed. Same work for less pay. No one is on the same page. Lots of issues with mid and upper management

Advice to Management

When a change is made.. call a meeting
    Don't curse out employees let alone in front of other employees.
    Know who your loyal employees are to reduce employee turnaround/ increase retention

Apr 26, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. The Company is reviewing our internal policy on how to inform employees of changes.

"Busy, Fast-paced and motivating atmosphere!"

I have been working at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Doing what is right for the patient is the most important factor in every decision.

Everyone is a team and even managers pitch in to help when needed, no matter the task.

Company funds a very high percent of your deductible making insurance more affordable.

Cons

You can't expect banker's hours. Busy times are eve/nights unless maybe you work in the offices.

10. "Run away"

I worked at Atlantic Diagnostic Laboratories full-time

Pros

good lab experience for a "start job"

Cons

management harasses people constantly
    walking on eggshells around the lab
    favoritism constantly shown

Advice to Management

learn ho your lab operates and understand the workflow

Aug 29, 2017

Here at ADL we take all allegations of harassment seriously. Please contact the Human Resources Department to further discuss your allegation of management harassment.