Atlas Oil Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Atlas Oil Chairman & CEO Sam Simon
Sam Simon

Pros
  • You will get free pop and coffee, too (in 8 reviews)

• There are no pros, they have the same benefits as everyone else (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Opportunity, the place is a revolving door (in 8 reviews)

• Leadership team is a very old boys club that YOU will never be a part of (in 7 reviews)

1. "Look out because we are coming!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time

Pros

Best team in the industry, from drivers to back office-you're going to get 110%. The turn around in this company has been amazing. Led by Robert Kenyon, we have been given a chance to use our expertise and experiences to help him push the company in the most positive direction. He cares. As a result, we all care. So blessed and proud to be part of the A-Team. The Sharepower program rocks.

Cons

Give some of us more of a voice. We have ideas and take them to team leaders and then they often times stop there.

Advice to Management

Use your pool of support employees as a resource. Don't engage and make decisions without talking to the worker bees first. Sometimes decisions are made without having any knowledge of how it will impact the team members actually doing the work. We are smart, trustworthy and want to be here. Take advantage of our knowledge of the day to day operations.

2. "Working for the best Oil company employees thrive to be exceptional and they appreciated!!"

Current Employee - Transport Driver in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Transport Driver in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Atlas Oil takes pride in there employees. Recognizing hard work and dedication! Rewarding employees with quarterly bonuses and exotic trips for two.
    Atlas Oil is more than a career or place of employment for me!
     Working for a company that gives back feels good . Yearly they host events for our Service men, women and there family's. Each employee is able to attend and give back. No matter what it is it's rewarding to say the least. Building parks for children and much more! For me its the all of these things in between that separates Atlas from the rest. This is what makes them the best!

Cons

Driving in bad weather. Watching out for the other drivers on the road that do not pay attention while driving!

Advice to Management

Investing in your employees daily makes us feel appreciated. You make sure our hard work dose not go unnoticed... Thank You!!

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros, they have the same benefits as everyone else. They think a ten cents raise is great that is if you get one after you spend a few hours doing your own review.

Cons

The most unprofessional place I've ever worked. All the managers lie to the owner. They have let go at least 150 people in the last few years and about 20 have left on their own in the last year. Do yourself a favor DO NOT WORK HERE

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen even if you offered it . Bunch of ego maniacs that really think they know what they are doing. They have ran it into the ground.

4. "What a SHAM!!!"

Former Employee - Assistant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee & food.

Cons

The owner and his family act like they are Gods gift. There is not authenticity here. Plus they make you submit to a hair follicle drug test which I think is a little excessive.

Advice to Management

Leave your job to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

"Sold the dream, but lived the nightmare..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'd give Atlas zero stars if it was possible. It was a great learning experience, but probably not for the reasons one would think – rather it was by learning to trust my instincts, ensuring I conduct more due diligence before accepting an offer, etc. Unfortunately, I left an excellent company because Atlas offered a higher salary, better title, and promised a culture that rewards talent by quickly promoting individuals to the executive level. In retrospect, there's no salary, title, or role that would've made my time at Atlas worthwhile and the notion of the executive level within this company is laughable. There's no executives, but rather a leadership team comprised of individuals (with a few exceptions) that will blindly follow Sam's lead without questioning the initiatives and tasks that he sets forth. Initiatives and tasks that add no real value, but in Sam's mind, justify the paycheck that he will constantly remind you he’s so generous to offer. The only real pros are that I will be far more appreciative of future jobs and that I no longer work for the company.

Cons

Working for this company will have a negative impact on your reputation, confidence, psyche, business knowledge, and even your family. You will begin to question everything that you learned from reputable leaders and organizations in the past because Atlas is so dysfunctional while expecting that dysfunction to become your new norm. A norm that many outsiders would consider unethical. The turnover rate is comical, but the (very) few that survive do so because they will consistently blame others for all issues that arise. Nobody, including the leadership team, is willing to defend their team members because the smallest of issues will result in termination which leads to everyone protecting themselves at all costs. The skill that is most useful while working at Atlas is the ability to throw people under the bus without losing sleep at night.
    There will be a tremendous level of lip service during the interview process that will lead you to believe it's a progressive culture that promotes hard work and follows proven leadership tactics. That couldn't be further from the truth. You will be told that Atlas is a company that invests in its people and gives them the resources necessary to do their job effectively, then quickly learn that you are desperately trying to keep Sam happy and that’s the only priority - there’s absolutely zero autonomy. You will be told to ignore the Glassdoor reviews because they’re just disgruntled employees. There will be promises that you have flexibility because you’re trusted to do your job and don’t need to be constantly monitored. Then you will quickly realize that you’re told what to do EVERY SINGLE step of the way. Making matters worse, the lack of professionalism is astonishing. There is no hesitation to humiliate you in meetings that include both internal colleagues and external business partners. Every day, your feet will be to the fire because the management team here believes that maximizes productivity. In reality, it leads employees to constantly operate based on fear of termination which causes undue stress and eliminates the opportunity to feel comfortable making meaningful contributions.
    The priorities, vision, resources, and discipline are both lacking and constantly changing - by constantly, I mean daily. There will be projects that Sam insist be completed and become the highest priority on your "to-do" list, but then the next day you will be instructed to complete a different project. The problem is that communication from the top is so bad that nobody really has any idea as to what should be getting done – this leads to employees constantly finding themselves atop the list of next to be fired. This lack of direction makes it impossible to gain any traction, but you will constantly be belittled and berated because the projects aren't completed. Making matters worse, you will be micromanaged every step of the way by someone that has little or no understanding of the process itself. You will be forced to get permission for every decision, no matter how insignificant or meaningless, and within just a few short months you will be frustrated beyond belief.
    This company was literally a living nightmare, so please don’t make the same mistake that I did by ignoring these reviews. Having been successful in all previous roles, I didn’t think it would be possible for this endeavor to be a failure. In other words, I thought the reviews wouldn’t apply to me. Luckily, I’ve maintained my confidence as a professional by coming to the realization that this failure was through no fault of my own.

Advice to Management

You're constantly seeking the best and brightest individuals to effect meaningful change, but until you're willing to step aside and let the professionals work, the company will remain a disorganized revolving door that never reaches its true growth potential. Stop putting on a facade to attract these individuals, but instead focus on correcting internal issues, such as lack of patience and discipline. Specifically, Sam needs to remove himself from the day-to-day operations and hire a qualified leadership team that he actually let’s lead. The maniacal approach to leadership is beyond counter-productive. Above all else, stop recruiting people that have good jobs at respectable companies knowing they will be (a) miserable working for you, and (b) fired within twelve months. This is people’s livelihood that you’re toying with.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros it's a horrible place to work don't even consider it.

Cons

The company is going under and they fail to realize what is actually happening. If you like being lied too directly to your face than this is the place to work. However, do not make any plans for the future because you will be out of a job within the next month or so. The CEO promotes this positive culture all while lining his pockets full of money and throwing pennies to his employees. The hirer ups could careless about anything other than their personal bonuses and being "yes men" to Sam Simon. Literally, they will walk groups of people out the door without warning. One minute you have a job and the next minute 20 to 30 people are in the unemployment line a week before Christmas. Yet, Sam Simon says "not to worry we're going in a new direction". He failed to say the company goes in a new direction every six months.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and stop surrounding yourself with "yes men".

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not any pros to list.

Cons

There is no team work, no communication from leadership. If you are not one of the "cool kids" they do not value anything you say, do or contribute.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee and value the work they do.

"Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no Pros working for a company that back stabs you at every turn.

Cons

The company will offer you everything under the sun when you start but when the time comes to produce the equipment to do the job it is put through a long drawn out process that management will eventually disapprove. After your team builds a profitably business unit management will sell it out from under you and put you on the unemployment line and then when you find another position they threaten law suit.

Advice to Management

Terminate the current management team and hire somebody that has some ethics and not a bunch of back stabbing hypocrites.

"Sales Support Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Support Leader in Leo, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Support Leader in Leo, IN

I worked at Atlas Oil (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job, Personell Staff was helpful

Cons

A woman Sales Support Leader not respected no support to suceed

Advice to Management

Review Woman Retention for Sales Support Leader position

"Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unable to think of a single Pro other than I am no longer employed by Atlas Oil. From what I could tell most employees had to leave one way or another after 5 years so Sam would not have to payout too much for the company's 401K plan. So a Pro may be 5 years and out....which was a very good benefit for one's own sanity. A couple adjectives - - unorganized, undisciplined, inconsistent, and unethical to the point of criminal.

Cons

Based on how the company management promoted themselves Atlas Oil should be a Fortune 100 company. Each week on Friday we were forced to watch a 30 minute "Whats Rockin Atlas" and the management would lament the weeks highlights which was all about how great they were .
    The only highlight of the weekly tortured event was it was Friday.

Advice to Management

Management is too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to ever listen to any advice. So why bother.