Atlona Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ilya Khayn

"Adaptation is an art form."

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Atlona, birthed out of the former Lenexpo, has proven to a niche industry that a focused dedicated staff can topple even the giants that rule that space. Historically, they came from nowhere, and took on entrenched market leaders, like Gefen, while staving off new competitors like Wyrestorm and Hydra. Where are those companies now? All of them sold to some larger company. Their owners threw in the towel. Hydra was hanging by a thread until it was rescued.

I look over the reviews on GD, and see the jaded 1 star reviews from former employees that all left with a grudge. Having worked there from the humble beginnings of Atlona, from more that 5 years, I can tell you, if what they say was the way that Atlona operated, they would not be where they are. Holding a third of the market. Preferred by installers.

so here is a list of Pro's
    - Connected CEOs. Anyone in the company can walk up and talk to the owners of the company like they are peers. they communicate openly to everyone. They listen, absorb, and are willing to change their understanding of a situation.
    - Culture. I have worked for publicly traded companies that banned the sale of girlscout cookies, would not allow employees to play basket ball on the premises, did not have Christmas/holiday parties, etc. All out of fear of upsetting an employee. Atlonians know each other, accept each other, and have fun together.
    - Group Learning. To the people who act like experts and have nothing to learn, I say what you don't know could fill volumes. At Atlona, I was constantly trying new things, which took learning new things. Every step of the way was supported by the Owners. Often they were so interested that they would join me in the Some of the skills I picked up there i was able to utilize to grow the business. Some of the skills I picked up only recently panned out to enhance and advance my career.

Cons

- Turn over. if you drop out of the sky from some larger corporation, and take a position at an SMB, unless you end up falling hopelessly in love with the gig, you are not going to last long. 2008 through 2012 was post-apocalyptic as far as the job market was concerned. The recently unemployed were crawling out of the wood works. Each of them came with their own understanding of how things should go. They all ended up leaving. Many of their reviews are below.

- Focus is changing. Now that Atlona is shifting its focus toward a massive commercial market, from a niche market, it's almost as if their entire branding and marketing machine has to restart. The crossover from Residential Custom Installation, to Commercial applications is not enough to support the same growth percentages as was seen in CI. From a disconnected employee's perspective this could look like a lack of investment in what they find important. Where is my budget? it being reinvested in turning the ship toward new, more profitable, waters.

Advice to Management

Keep trucking. You are past the dark days. Keep your product line as tight as it is, but remember to diversify in proven technologies. HDMI and HDBaseT are fantastic, but IP video may come out of left field changing how we interact with video in the coming years. Keep your humility, it's endearing; but remember; You... no, We created something amazing.

2. "Not a cultural fit"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atlona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can bring any pet from Noah's Ark to work

Cons

Director does not have a clue. Salary is too low

Advice to Management

Don't judge people for what they look like and age

Apr 12, 2017 – HR Generalist

Atlona appreciates your review and feedback. We are a fast growing company with competitive benefits and perks, including a pet policy that allows employees to bring their dogs to the office ... More

"If you're willing to put in the hours, it's very rewarding."

Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of sales opportunities in a growing segment. But be willing to work hard and put in the time needed to succeed. If you think this is a 40 hour a week job every week, you'll be disappointed. Flexible with work schedule and a very family-first attitude. Seems to be a renewed interest in hiring and keeping quality employees.
       Great in-office benefits, parties, etc. Nice little perks from management to show appreciation for a job well done. Gift cards, holiday gifts, etc.
       Good product and lots of differentiation from other "me-too" companies in the product category. Genuine concern for customers and providing a good sales and service experience at all levels.

Cons

Compensation is just average or slightly below. Can be very slow to adapt and change methods, procedures, etc. in a very competitive market segment. Relatively small company that does have some under-staffing issues.

Advice to Management

It seems you have given a little more trust and control over to the people you hire. Keep it up.

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

Atlona truly has work life balance. There are no crazy 60 hour work weeks here. We value our employees, and provide flexible schedules, and management appreciation. BTW, our Director of Sales ... More

5. "Intriguing and challenging yet rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atlona feels like a small company in terms of the interactions between employees and the ability to reach management for questions. The company is still growing and trying to find its path which means the employees have a say in the direction and success of the company. The office is diverse and there is a lot comradery between employees. One on One Reviews are held each year and employees are able to express their desires for growths within the company. Atlona also provides training for those looking to improve their knowledge at the work place. There are a lot of bright and enthusiastic people working at Atlona.

Cons

As a growing company, the direction of the company has changed quite a bit in the last few years. As someone who has been with the company for over 3 years, I have seen a few different management directions the company has chosen. This is understandable from a growing company and within the last year there has been a major push to improve the company image and standing. With that said, employees may be asked to perform duties outside their normal titles possibly even outside their department duties.

Advice to Management

The company should be management according to statistics (performance) rather than perceptions of each employees performance by judging their day to day actions at the work place (seeing someone away from their cube).

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

Here at Atlona, we want to keep a friendly, open environment as we grow. The Sr Management team want to hear from the staff, and find a variety of ways to encourage feedback. Our corporate values ... More

6. "Great Company to work for!! Very positive working experience!"

I have been working at Atlona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best hiring experience ever!! Kudos to Ivy :)
    Friendly and upbeat environment. Top management always think of ways to encourage and motivate fellow staff. CEO is very focused and goal oriented. I would highly recommend this company.

Cons

Training opportunities, 401k matching, more PTOs.

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

We do have a great recruiting team, and believe our candidate experience will give you a glimpse of how you will be valued as a team member at Atlona. We don’t believe in generic automated responses ... More

"chaos"

Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none the best thing about my time there was the network of people that I met

Cons

constant change of company charter, low salaries, employees not valued,

Advice to Management

grow up

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

The Management team has heard you loud and clear; yes we have had to make changes-- for the better.

8. "Very good place to work at"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atlona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is well positioned in the industry, team members are very competitive, customer oriented and friendly. Nice culture and good opportunities to contribute to business and extend skills to a new level.

Cons

None that I can think of right now. Maybe AC can be a bit adjusted, sometimes it can get a bit warm and other times it was too cold.

9. "easy to fit in"

I have been working at Atlona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fellow employees are friendly and helpful and it was very easy to fit in. VERY customer oriented

Cons

at times feels like we are understaffed and TOO customer oriented and may increase response times. a good problem if you ask me

Advice to Management

maybe add staff to a few key positions

10. "Good company to work for with great people."

Current Employee - Finance in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atlona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people with diverse interests. Good management team. Company is making changes to be more like other companies in Silicon Valley.

Cons

There is no 401k matching incentive.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people with knowledge in their profession. Make sure you take care of your greatest asset which is your employees. Offer a profit sharing program.

"Every expense seems to be on the employees backs. Low wages, inexperienced owners."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Start up in niche industry. great looking brand from the outside in.

Cons

No organization, no structure, low wages and commissions. Recent lay offs and a slew of employees quitting leave very low employee morale.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while it is still profitable.

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

Since this time, Atlona has hired an experienced management team. Atlona hired a new experienced HR team to come and analyze HR, benefits and compensation practices. We continually look to improve ... More