Atmel Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Atmel President and CEO Steve Laub
Steve Laub

Pros
Cons
  • Heavy on upper management with no discernible benefit (in 14 reviews)

• Was a very top heavy organisation (in 10 reviews)

"a growing company but long hours and lack of growth and recognition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Learn more process and great people to work
    - Good for College graduate for learning

Cons

- Very Low pay raise when company is very profitable
    - Lack of recognition and job development
    - Lack of good system and many employee overworked.

Advice to Management

- Please treat employee well in benefit and work balance
    - Please share the profit with employee
    - Give more job development/ rotation

2. "The people are nice but the management needs to lead."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

The technology is interesting, coworkers are really nice, compensation is above market, and there's plenty of work to be done.

Cons

There is a lack of communication from senior management and the facility needs to be updated. There is potential here but unfortunately the average worker is under-utilized.

Advice to Management

Mangement should focus on direct communication with employees and provide leadership. Employees want to have a forum and opportunity to interract with the management team.

"Politics instead of chip making"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bay Area's nice weather, really. There are many engineers from design to testing who are really good and passionate at what they do.

Cons

Do not have any hope as an engineer. If you are a political activist who lives to tell other people how to do what you yourself never was and will never be able to do yourself, then Atmel is your place. Instead of investing company's cash into the Colorado fab to create American jobs, the executives decide to buy back the company stock with shareholders' money to artificially keep up the stock price so they make more own money selling their stock options. Why would anyone give money to Atmel by buying Atmel stock when
    Atmel's board decides to use the same money to buy back the same shares?! What value added can come from this speculation?

Advice to Management

Chips are not made by mba's. Standard practices include not only personnel reviews and layoff procedures, but also engineering continuing education. Promoting technical innovation is not recognized as a company core value except as a derivative of much broader formulations.

"Lackluster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they have a ping pong table and great location adjacent to san jose airport

Cons

Poor compensation, shaky leadership from the top down, lack of direction and opportunity, high turnover and layoffs in various depts the future looks uncertain and bleak...i overheard a senior executive speak in a very negative manner regarding his non-management people working below him in an extremely condescending tone which makes one ask why would you work at a place where upper management has no respect for their subordinates?

Advice to Management

better communication

"Top management operates like Gordon Gekko"

Former Employee - Technology Development
    Former Employee - Technology Development

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some interesting technology now but not much on the horizon

Cons

No employee recognition. Any profit is used to buy more stock back or reward top level management. Many positions are underpaid. Technology is losing competitive strength.

Advice to Management

Sell out to a competitor that can move the company forward, invest in new technology develop more products and try to keep more jobs in the US

7. "Management gets grossly overpaid - gross"

Former Employee - Finance Manager In SJO in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager In SJO in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commute was good for me.

Cons

Poorly run company, poor financial performance, but yet CEO, CFO, executives all get huge amounts of RSU.... I can't never understand how these people can be so shameless

Advice to Management

You are way too greedy

"Status of IT at Atmel"

Current Employee - Technician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a job and beats unemployment. Much of the 25 year old infrastructure is breaking down and has to be replaced because parts are no longer available. Past knowledge and experience are very useful to fulfill daily job functions.

Cons

Difficult to make any sense out of what to do for IT since the vast majority of what is done is to put one inferno out after another. Documentation of process's and policies is very poor and what is available is scattered, fragmented and incomplete. There is no feedback involved in any of the IT processes.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a defined outcome to decisions. Projects are done without defined outcomes or proper testing.

"Not going anywhere"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay is good if you are on a compressed shift.

Cons

Lack of guidance, Corporate does not support the facility, Lack of communication. unreal expectations. If yo umove up the ladder, your pay goes down???

Advice to Management

get involved more.

Dec 2, 2013 – hr

We sure hope that you can feel comfortable enough to come and talk to the HR department about your concern, especially on the pay issue. We believe in compensating our people fairly and consistently ... More

"Worst culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's better than being unemployed. But not much.

Cons

Oppressive culture. CEO makes all decisions and runs it like a prison. That behavior trickles down to other executives. It's the cheapest place I have ever worked. I feel like had had a significant positive impact on the company but it was such an unpleasant place to work.

Dec 2, 2013 – hr

Thanks. We are glad that you felt you made a significant positive impact on the company. We will continue to make improvements of our environment in order to help people thrive to higher success.

"Micromanagement at its worst ever!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any really

Cons

Low cubicles, too much open space and need to find and reserve a conference room just to have a meeting or an impromptu meetings. Micromanagement from the CEO himself that often delayed recruiting processes and lost lots. Of great candidates that went on to work for our competitors. Our department had double digit attrition rate within 9 months - undesired departures. People just had enough. Executives act like big babies and whine! I've worked over 90-100 hours per week, sleep deprived, expected to be in the office, no working from home even though many of my colleagues are located overseas, unnecessary conference calls. Also an executive that is afraid to write memos to the entire company on communicating important things like socks, bonuses, policies, etc.

Advice to Management

The whole management team needs a brand new make over. Bring new leadership in and get out of your comfort zone! You want culture change? Start from the top! Not do as I say, but not as I do.

Dec 2, 2013 – hr

Thanks for your feedback. We are in a very competetive market. Sometimes the workload does get quite intensive. Part of our core value is to win as a team with great passion. A very unique ... More