Atmel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "Ok experience"

Former Employee - Senior Staff in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good learning experience
    Much of the other staff was very friendly
    Location of office was good for commute

Cons

Upper management was unapproachable
    Company outlook was not good and company was eventually sold
    Pay was under average compared to other companies in Bay Area

2. "Senior Buyer/Planner"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in a well controlled team environment and was well respected for my work ethics

Cons

Atmel was purchased by Microchip and my job was centralized to corp

3. "Inside Sales/Sr. Customer Service Rep."

Former Employee - Inside Sales/Senior Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People were great to work for. I enjoyed the complexity of the accounts I handled and the act of coming to a solution and resolving.

Cons

Company was acquisitioned by Microchip so not so good for me in the end.

4. "Great team"

Former Employee - ASIC Test Operator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - ASIC Test Operator in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company gives you a well rounded knowledge of the semi-conductor industry. Plenty of opportunity for advancement, if you want to learn new areas.

Cons

You need to wear clean room attire to do all your daily task. This can be a problem for some individuals with disabilities.

5. "Ups & Downs but Decent Place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health insurance (though increased in costs the last few years).
    Flexible hours as long as the work gets done (depending on manager).
    Good people -- helpful, smart, responsible.

Cons

Heavy on upper management with no discernible benefit.
    Tight budgets and lean resources.
    Pay compensation seemed lower than industry with increases slower/smaller amounts.

Advice to Management

Could have managed better before 'taking the money and running'. Atmel may have had outgrown Perlegos but at least he had genuinely cared about the company and its workers.

6. "Production planner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Atmel (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of nice people... Good benefits

Cons

They didn't have good training

Advice to Management

Don't be quick to get rid of experienced workers

7. "Atmel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Atmel (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company invested in new technologies and products producing a challenging and engaging engineering environment. The company produces cost effective products.

Cons

Atmel was recently acquired by Microchip Corporation which has introduced uncertainty in current and future positions in several departments.

Advice to Management

Continue integration processes at projected pace to protect customers and revenue. Communicate to employees as often as possible to maintain the best morale.

8. "Atmel Analog design"

Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a good company, relaxed enviroment and good team work and spirit. Salaries are above average and benefits are relatively good

Cons

Slow to get things done. A lot of paper work to order items limits flexibility. Projects can take longer than necessary to be done. There is definitely a room for financial optimization with regards to spending

Advice to Management

The decision to sell the company to microchip may change the work culture of the company. Many employees are currently unhappy with the new management style. Micro-chip management team will probably loose a lot of talented employees if they continue with the current management style

"Too bad we weren't acquired sooner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With the former management team, there were no pros. There are many pros now.

In my time at Atmel I never once saw Laub in the flesh. I never once corresponded with the man, but I did have to deal with many of the poor and selfish decisions he made. It seemed that every other week employees would receive an email about a new VP being hired. A simple google search would inform you that he was a friend of Laub's in one way or another. It is the reason that Atmel became the most top-heavy company in the industry while Laub was among the top-3 paid CEOs. Why was he so highly compensated when he was running a company that was losing money hand over fist?

He bred a culture of distrust, dishonesty, and contempt that was not only encouraged but rewarded. Employees could not speak openly about their superiors without fear of swift action against them.

In the last two months I have had meetings with the new VP of Fab Operations twice. I've had a meeting with the new CEO and even held a short conversation with him about the future direction of Atmel's IP.

Microchip has been open and honest about every decision they've made thus far and even the thought process behind it. They show that they put employees' welfare first before what bottom line number makes them look the best to the board.

Prior to the new management I worked for an ok company that made a VERY good product with an awful management team.

Now I work for great company that wants to expand on its great products and has installed what appears to be amazing management.

Two months ago, I would not have recommended working here. Now I do.

Cons

Laub was allowed to run this company into the ground for more than a decade.

Also, if you work compressed shifts, it can take some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Ignore the former Atmel culture. It was poisonous. People looked out only for themselves and the VPs did everything they could to line their pockets no matter how many people got stepped on at the bottom.

If you ever have a major problem that stops production for multiple months, blame the person who put the company in that situation in the first place. Think about rewarding the employees who came in on Christmas as a first-response team. Do not vilify them and blame them for something a Senior VP caused.

10. "Stressful Place to work- Good compensation"

Current Employee - Equipment Engineering Technician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineering Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time

Pros

Good Compensation- Good Time off- Things are changing as a result of Microchip purchase. This will be a stressful transition because there will be layoffs. Those left will end up working for a more stable company much more devoted to its employees and to growth of the company not just their personal pocketbook.

Cons

Negative reviews of the new Microchip team will mostly be from San Jose CA. Many employees there has a much different view of Steve Laub. In Colorado Springs he was viewed very unfavorably due to ridiculously high compensation and bringing in his VP buddies to drain the company of money as well as no interest in investing in Production in US, poor customer relations when they solely focused on Touch technology, etc.

Advice to Management

Employees are on edge because we don't know when there might be layoffs. Technician laid off in Bldg 1 last week leaves everyone on edge. No notice, no time to say goodbye. Walked out. We were hoping for more notice and more logic so that we don't have to be stressed out all the time. Everyone in Colorado Springs understands there are going to be changes. Everyone in CSO has been living with stress for years. I think you can give more notice without getting any negative repercussions hopefully lowering the stress levels treating people with more regard like you say Microchip values.