Atmel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "Garbage Company"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer

Pros

This company pays reasonably well (salary-wise).

Cons

This is a terrible company where you're actively made to feel under valued.

2. "Good company to work"

I have been working at Atmel full-time

Pros

good work and balance overall

Cons

Need to invest more in employees

3. "Atmel Analog design"

Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a good company, relaxed enviroment and good team work and spirit. Salaries are above average and benefits are relatively good

Cons

Slow to get things done. A lot of paper work to order items limits flexibility. Projects can take longer than necessary to be done. There is definitely a room for financial optimization with regards to spending

Advice to Management

The decision to sell the company to microchip may change the work culture of the company. Many employees are currently unhappy with the new management style. Micro-chip management team will probably loose a lot of talented employees if they continue with the current management style

"Too bad we weren't acquired sooner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With the former management team, there were no pros. There are many pros now.

In my time at Atmel I never once saw Laub in the flesh. I never once corresponded with the man, but I did have to deal with many of the poor and selfish decisions he made. It seemed that every other week employees would receive an email about a new VP being hired. A simple google search would inform you that he was a friend of Laub's in one way or another. It is the reason that Atmel became the most top-heavy company in the industry while Laub was among the top-3 paid CEOs. Why was he so highly compensated when he was running a company that was losing money hand over fist?

He bred a culture of distrust, dishonesty, and contempt that was not only encouraged but rewarded. Employees could not speak openly about their superiors without fear of swift action against them.

In the last two months I have had meetings with the new VP of Fab Operations twice. I've had a meeting with the new CEO and even held a short conversation with him about the future direction of Atmel's IP.

Microchip has been open and honest about every decision they've made thus far and even the thought process behind it. They show that they put employees' welfare first before what bottom line number makes them look the best to the board.

Prior to the new management I worked for an ok company that made a VERY good product with an awful management team.

Now I work for great company that wants to expand on its great products and has installed what appears to be amazing management.

Two months ago, I would not have recommended working here. Now I do.

Cons

Laub was allowed to run this company into the ground for more than a decade.

Also, if you work compressed shifts, it can take some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Ignore the former Atmel culture. It was poisonous. People looked out only for themselves and the VPs did everything they could to line their pockets no matter how many people got stepped on at the bottom.

If you ever have a major problem that stops production for multiple months, blame the person who put the company in that situation in the first place. Think about rewarding the employees who came in on Christmas as a first-response team. Do not vilify them and blame them for something a Senior VP caused.

6. "Stressful Place to work- Good compensation"

Current Employee - Equipment Engineering Technician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineering Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time

Pros

Good Compensation- Good Time off- Things are changing as a result of Microchip purchase. This will be a stressful transition because there will be layoffs. Those left will end up working for a more stable company much more devoted to its employees and to growth of the company not just their personal pocketbook.

Cons

Negative reviews of the new Microchip team will mostly be from San Jose CA. Many employees there has a much different view of Steve Laub. In Colorado Springs he was viewed very unfavorably due to ridiculously high compensation and bringing in his VP buddies to drain the company of money as well as no interest in investing in Production in US, poor customer relations when they solely focused on Touch technology, etc.

Advice to Management

Employees are on edge because we don't know when there might be layoffs. Technician laid off in Bldg 1 last week leaves everyone on edge. No notice, no time to say goodbye. Walked out. We were hoping for more notice and more logic so that we don't have to be stressed out all the time. Everyone in Colorado Springs understands there are going to be changes. Everyone in CSO has been living with stress for years. I think you can give more notice without getting any negative repercussions hopefully lowering the stress levels treating people with more regard like you say Microchip values.

7. "Manufacturing Operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Indoor, different shifts, provides experience

Cons

Bad fab management, deceptive conduct

8. "sales"

Current Employee - Global Key Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Global Key Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

great products and technology. It was fun to work there with the challenges

Cons

leadership at highest levels was not great.

"Too bad there was an acquisition"

I worked at Atmel full-time

Pros

With the acquisition by Microchip, there are no "pros"

Cons

The new Steve can not compare to Steve Laub. Laub had integrity, was honest and was loyal to the stockholders and employees. We may have not liked what he had to say, but when he said it you knew he meant it.

Advice to Management

Learn from Atmel and keep that culture!

10. "Sr. Director of Technology"

Current Employee - Senior Director of Technology in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Technology in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, people oriented

Cons

Business not well-managed, losing ground to competitors

"Transitioning from Atmel to Microchip"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time

Pros

The employee base is relatively solid (i.e. volumes of talent in many areas). It is hoped that as Microchip evaluates their new purchase that they see the value in the existing employee base, Atmel products, and processes. Yes, there is always room for improvement, but we have an excellent basis for future growth and expansion.

Cons

Glad to leave the poor executive management system previously under Atmel. The executive staff was only concerned with lining their pockets. Although volumes of words were spoken in support of the employee base, the executive staff was not concerned with keeping and maintaining a fully functional business.

Advice to Management

Wishing the new Microchip management well, and much success, as they work through the mess left by Atmel executive management.